Do we have a complete, perfect, and sufficient Bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 25, 2024
Hi @Nehemiah6

I firmly believe that the Scriptures, as the 66 books that most believers understand as the Scriptures, are complete. That they are valuable for reproof, correction and understanding of all that God has done and what His desire and will is for those who will believe in Him. For me, the translation of the Scriptures isn't the important issue concerning the Scriptures. It's whether or not it reaches into the heart of the reader to confirm that truth and understanding of God and all that He has done that some might find His salvation. Therefore, any 'reliable' translation is sufficient for that purpose.

There are no 'reliable' translations in which one cannot find the truth of God and His promise of eternal life with Him. I say 'reliable' to agree that yes, there are some questionable translations. The Message version is one that I find pretty out there. The New World translation is also one of questionable truth. But there are some two dozen or so translations that are perfectly able to complete the work for which God has sent His word forth into our world.

Personally, I prefer the NKJV to the KJV. But I was raised up in the beginning of my faith with the NIV or the 1990's printing. However, I have since read many, and I don't find any of the reliable translations that fall short in telling the reader 'who God is'; 'what God has done'; 'what God asks of those who love and honor Him'.

God bless you as you persevere to the end.
Ted

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
a language scholar to understand God's Word Of Truth, or: The Holy Spirit?

Thanks So Much from a simpleton like me ♫

"Simplicity In Christ!" Amen.
First and foremost, a believer needs the guidance of the Holy Spirit working with the believer. Without this, spiritual things cannot be understood and many things would not be brought to mind. However, even with the Holy Spirits help, one cannot penetrate the deeper and perhaps controversial doctrines without much study, prayer and meditation. Therefore, since "study" is required, (2 Tim. 2:15), we should endeavor to be like the Bereans - always checking the accuracy of what others have said and questioning ourselves about the accuracy of what we hold true.

Again, a good Bible translation can get us there. Nevertheless, we as believers should never cast dispersion upon individuals who desire to gain a better understanding through learning the Original Autograph Languages. Understanding the various Biblical languages helps solve many controversial elements within various Doctrines (of course, sometimes it creates them as well). Ultimately, the Lord has to reveal the Truth to the one seeking. Additionally, any good Bible Commentator, that is worth their salt, will know Hebrew and Greek.

As an example: Look at how knowing the Koine Greek solves this problem in the KJV - Acts 12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.
However, the RSV translates this verse as: Acts 12:4 And when he had taken him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to guard him; intending after the Passover to bring him forth to the people.

Which is correct?
If you are one of those who is thinking right now: "Who cares" or "Does it really matter?" You can leave now.

If you don't know how to use the Greek, then you will have to read a bunch of gobbledygook, full of bias, about why the KJV is right or wrong. The simple truth is this: The KJV has no reason for this translation error. It is a mistranslation - pure and simple.

The Greek word is: πάσχα (Pas'-khah). It is used 29 times in the New Testament. 28 times it is translated Passover in the KJV and only once as Easter. Therefore, there is no grammatical construction or reason to alter the Greek words English translation.

Sorry, this got a bit longer than I originally intended.
Any who, I hope you see what I am getting at.