Do you believe that God may also be using secular artists?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 28, 2021
I have noticed among secular music artists- lyrics which are like warnings from God about Judgment. I think God is using everything to reach people before the end comes. This generation finds rap music very popular and so many of the masses follow this music which is very materialistic. ironically, the word "rap" means the "end" of course. I truly think that God is using very popular artists to warn and reach of his coming on a spiritual level through what is popular to this generation. Here are the lyrics to a song by rapper Machine Gun Kelly that seems to not be him or match his story...it is a song entitled: "Long Time Coming"...It's been a long time coming, I'm coming now. I've seen it all through the distance, I seen it all. ....the song has an extended version called "long time coming, look at me now that says again: " it's been a long time coming, I seen it all through the distance, I seen it all, I wear the crown.". What are your thoughts that this could be God warning the secular world through this popular rap artist, who is also with a popular actress, Megan fox?

T

TheIndianGirl

I have noticed among secular music artists- lyrics which are like warnings from God about Judgment. I think God is using everything to reach people before the end comes. This generation finds rap music very popular and so many of the masses follow this music which is very materialistic. ironically, the word "rap" means the "end" of course. I truly think that God is using very popular artists to warn and reach of his coming on a spiritual level through what is popular to this generation. Here are the lyrics to a song by rapper Machine Gun Kelly that seems to not be him or match his story...it is a song entitled: "Long Time Coming"...It's been a long time coming, I'm coming now. I've seen it all through the distance, I seen it all. ....the song has an extended version called "long time coming, look at me now that says again: " it's been a long time coming, I seen it all through the distance, I seen it all, I wear the crown.". What are your thoughts that this could be God warning the secular world through this popular rap artist, who is also with a popular actress, Megan fox?
Not aware of this particular singer. However, many secular singers may have had some familiarity with Christianity (growing up in the church, have a Christian relative, etc.) and this knowledge could influence or even inspire their music. Yes, I believe God could use secular people for His purpose.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Questions regarding the origin and purpose of life have been with man very likely from the beginning, and these matters also pertain directly to the question of whether or not there is a God Who is our Creator and has a purpose for His creation, including mankind. Religious themes have permeated secular matters for quite some time also, as there are probably not very many who do not ponder such things as the meaning of life and death, which are looked at through a variety of lenses with vast differences in interpretations across a magnitude of genres. The Bible has been borrowed from extensively, both knowingly and maybe even unwittingly. Romans 1 tells us that God has made Himself plainly known to everybody: for since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Many signs may point to God, but there is only one way, and that is through Jesus Christ :)

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Just be careful. A lot of American musicians see the Christian demographic as a bit of a goldmine. Some, like Bob Dylan, have some kind of "experience" but it is very shallow.

God can use a donkey to speak to a false prophet, so anything is possible. However, it's one thing to have a doomsday message, entirely another to present the gospel.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
I believe God can use secular music to speak to people of his character.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
"Ironically the word rap means end, of course". According to what? Where?

How does who he's dating matter in the discussion at all? What's the relevance?

Assuming for a minute your premise is true, how do these lyrics bring anyone to God in any manner? How is anyone warned by them without context of it being a message from God?

Is there any fruit to back up this notion? For a long time secular artists have mentioned God, thanked God, etc... and some even Jesus, but I've not heard of that affecting anyone. Especially since everything else they express goes against God.

Lyrics can be very subjective, to state these lyrics don't reflect his journey is to presume to know his thoughts when writing. What may not be obvious to you could be clear as day to him. Trust me, as one that used to write, myself. People see in lyrics what they relate to, and that's not always the intended message.

God used a donkey, that doesn't mean God uses donkeys all the time.

It's more likely that God can use something to speak to an individual, rather than sending out vague messages en masse.
I remember as a teen watching a Batman movie and through it learning about the inner struggle of good vs evil. I saw that as God using something not intended for me, and bringing something good from it.
That didn't mean I thought the actors or writers or producers, the movie franchise or Hollywood were being used by God.

Aug 2, 2021
Believe it or not, I was listening to Jimi Hendrix when I got saved. The lyrics clearly indicate the man was searching for Jesus. At least that was my interpretation when I got saved. So I would definitely say YES! God can use ANYTHING for His glory!

Jul 28, 2021
Believe it or not, I was listening to Jimi Hendrix when I got saved. The lyrics clearly indicate the man was searching for Jesus. At least that was my interpretation when I got saved. So I would definitely say YES! God can use ANYTHING for His glory!
Thank you...I believe that!

O

Oblio

I believe that God is sovereign and speaks to whoever however He chooses to do so. BTW Bob Dylan is a Torah-observant Messianic Jew.

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
I think God uses secular songs to talk to people, along with a lot of other things.

In my experience they call to have a relationship with God/Yeshua, and tell of His Love. Personally, I'm wary of any message that stokes fear... that it may be of demonic origin. But the Lord knows what message to send.

Speaking of secular songs that warn... here's one of Queen's best songs ever, and the fastest 7 min song I ever heard.

The Prophet - Queen

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
The song by A-Ha, "Take on Me", has rapture overtones. Madonna's "Frozen" can almost sound like God trying to reach out to us to break through our hardened hearts.

Jul 28, 2021
The song by A-Ha, "Take on Me", has rapture overtones. Madonna's "Frozen" can almost sound like God trying to reach out to us to break through our hardened hearts.
I Agree

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Phrases such as "rap it up" means to bring to an end.
Exactly! Though it would be spelled with a "w" at the beginning... (wrap it up) :)

I found this explanation for the expression:

The phrase comes from the 1920’s, when the photography part of a film shoot was concluded by the director with the phrase “It’s a wrap” meaning the footage is ready to go to post production.

Wrap is also used as a term for rushing someone in the phrase “Wrap it up” which further implies its connection to completion.

Wrap in the film industry is said to be a backronym for “Wind, Reel and Print.”

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Exactly! Though it would be spelled with a "w" at the beginning... (wrap it up) :)

I found this explanation for the expression:

The phrase comes from the 1920’s, when the photography part of a film shoot was concluded by the director with the phrase “It’s a wrap” meaning the footage is ready to go to post production.

Wrap is also used as a term for rushing someone in the phrase “Wrap it up” which further implies its connection to completion.

Wrap in the film industry is said to be a backronym for “Wind, Reel and Print.”
Well, I think we know who'd win Trivial Pursuit!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Well, I think we know who'd win Trivial Pursuit!
Search engines are not allowed to be used in the playing of such games ;):giggle:

There is certainly a vast amount I do not know :cool::geek:

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Perhaps you speak from profound humility?
Heh. Well, it is a pleasant experience to be able to answer a question on Jeopardy that stumped the contestants :giggle: