do you dare think this is blasphemy?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seeking_christ

Active member
Oct 30, 2025
140
78
28
www.aesquivel25.wordpress.com
“No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have the right to lay it down, and I have the right to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.””
‭‭John‬ ‭10‬:‭18‬ ‭CSB‬‬
 
Don't see how anything Jesus has said or will say is blasphemy. The quote that you provided in that version is essentially the same as the other version.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DavidLamb
“No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have the right to lay it down, and I have the right to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.””
‭‭John‬ ‭10‬:‭18‬ ‭CSB‬‬
1Ti 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God.

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

1Ti 6:14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:
1Ti 6:15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
1Ti 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

It is not blasphemy because Jesus is God showing a visible manifestation of Himself.

God and the man Christ Jesus are always in harmony and one.

God exalted the man Christ Jesus to sit on the throne which the throne is the throne of God and the Lamb the glorified body of the man Christ.

The man Christ Jesus is the personal human body of God.

Joh 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
Joh 10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

The man Christ Jesus said He received this commandment from the Father so there is no blasphemy on His part for He is not defying the Father trying to have His own authority.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DavidLamb
“No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have the right to lay it down, and I have the right to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.””
‭‭John‬ ‭10‬:‭18‬ ‭CSB‬‬

He didn't WANT to do it, but he did it out of obedience.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist
“No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have the right to lay it down, and I have the right to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.””
‭‭John‬ ‭10‬:‭18‬ ‭CSB‬‬
I find this version very controversial. It could be taken in a context of sarcasm, or ones sworn duty, not a good translation 🤔
 
“No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have the right to lay it down, and I have the right to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.””
‭‭John‬ ‭10‬:‭18‬ ‭CSB‬‬
Are you asking whether the words of Jesus were blasphemous, or whether the particular English translation you quoted was blasphemous? As Jesus was without sin, His words cannot be blasphemous. That leaves the translation. The version I use, the NKJV, says:

(Joh 10:18) No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father."

The only differences I can see between that and the CSB are: "I lay it down of Myself,"/"I lay it down on my own," and "I have the power,"/"I have the right." Is it one of those differences (or both of them) that you consider blasphemous?
 
“No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have the right to lay it down, and I have the right to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.””
‭‭John‬ ‭10‬:‭18‬ ‭CSB‬‬
That is not a good translation. I take is aireO and I receive is lambanO. We see that John uses lambanO and not aireO when Jesus says He has authority to receive back His life after death. He is not claiming power to raise Himself from the dead, to take His own life back Himself, but His authority to receive it back from someone else. This fits with my perspective that the ever-existent divine Person, the Word, gave up omnipotence to become human like us in every way, and relied on the other divine Persons of the Godhead to work through Him and for Him during His life on earth.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mem
John 10:18 doesn't say Jesus had the power (dunamis) to receive his life back, but that he had the authority (exousia) to receive it back. Saying he had the right to receive it back is consistent with saying he had the authority to do so.
 
Are you asking whether the words of Jesus were blasphemous, or whether the particular English translation you quoted was blasphemous? As Jesus was without sin, His words cannot be blasphemous. That leaves the translation. The version I use, the NKJV, says:

(Joh 10:18) No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father."

The only differences I can see between that and the CSB are: "I lay it down of Myself,"/"I lay it down on my own," and "I have the power,"/"I have the right." Is it one of those differences (or both of them) that you consider blasphemous?


i don’t consider it blasphemous.
 
1Ti 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God.

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

1Ti 6:14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:
1Ti 6:15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
1Ti 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

It is not blasphemy because Jesus is God showing a visible manifestation of Himself.

God and the man Christ Jesus are always in harmony and one.

God exalted the man Christ Jesus to sit on the throne which the throne is the throne of God and the Lamb the glorified body of the man Christ.

The man Christ Jesus is the personal human body of God.

Joh 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
Joh 10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

The man Christ Jesus said He received this commandment from the Father so there is no blasphemy on His part for He is not defying the Father trying to have His own authority.


Amen 🙌
 
What do you mean by that?
The beauty of the episode shows the humanity of Jesus.
Have you ever prayed for 1 hour straight for 1 topic? Try it, it's not easy; now do it 3 times so 3 hours....

Even after the Father sent him an angel. He was strengthened; but its not enough .......

Luke 22
Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.”

43 And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him.
44 And being in agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.


Matthew 26:38–40 (ESV):

Many people miss this... he FELL on his face!

38 Then he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me.”
39 And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”
 
  • Like
Reactions: Inquisitor
The beauty of the episode shows the humanity of Jesus.
Have you ever prayed for 1 hour straight for 1 topic? Try it, it's not easy; now do it 3 times so 3 hours....

Even after the Father sent him an angel. He was strengthened; but its not enough .......

Luke 22
Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.”

43 And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him.
44 And being in agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.


Matthew 26:38–40 (ESV):

Many people miss this... he FELL on his face!
I would not fall on my face!

I would just run away while calling out losers.