Some Christians think that if they have doubts it means their faith is weak. I find that a little bit strange because sometimes it takes a pretty strong faith not to be afraid of your doubts.
Let’s look at Thomas. The other disciples tell him Jesus is alive. Thomas essentially says, “I going to need some evidence.” Jesus does not throw him out and doesn’t call him faithless. He doesn’t revoke his discipleship membership card. Jesus meets Thomas right there in his doubts.
It has been my experience that the faith that can’t allow questions is often at risk for its fragility. Many live in a world afraid of questions, doubts and things not fully understood. It can seem like some are afraid of pulling on a thread might make the whole thing fall apart.
Strong faith can say, “I have questions.” “I could be wrong, but there still some things I don’t understand. But I am not afraid to go looking for answers anyway.
Perhaps strong faith is not faith without doubts, because if your faith cannot survive a question maybe the problem is not the question.
Let’s look at Thomas. The other disciples tell him Jesus is alive. Thomas essentially says, “I going to need some evidence.” Jesus does not throw him out and doesn’t call him faithless. He doesn’t revoke his discipleship membership card. Jesus meets Thomas right there in his doubts.
It has been my experience that the faith that can’t allow questions is often at risk for its fragility. Many live in a world afraid of questions, doubts and things not fully understood. It can seem like some are afraid of pulling on a thread might make the whole thing fall apart.
Strong faith can say, “I have questions.” “I could be wrong, but there still some things I don’t understand. But I am not afraid to go looking for answers anyway.
Perhaps strong faith is not faith without doubts, because if your faith cannot survive a question maybe the problem is not the question.