Do you observe the Sabbath?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2020
Because He was picturing a time of judgment for which there is no rest. I don't think the teaching was specifically for them but a general teaching delivered to them.
The first and second covenants were put into effect with blood. The blood of Jesus ratified the second, or new, covenant.

Hebrews 9
15For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

16In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it, 17because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living. 18This is why even the first covenant was not put into effect without blood.

So after the new covenant was established, that is after after the death of Jesus, Christians were still keeping the Sabbath. Most scholars would say the book of Luke was written some 30 years after the death of Christ and Luke referred to the Sabbath as a commandment. Luke would have known if the Sabbath was still a commandment, or not, but he referred to it as such.

Luke 23
55The women who had come with Jesus from Galilee followed Joseph and saw the tomb and how his body was laid in it. 56Then they went home and prepared spices and perfumes. But they rested on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment.

So wouldn't that place the Sabbath as a commandment in the new covenant as well as the other 9 commandments?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
The first and second covenants were put into effect with blood. The blood of Jesus ratified the second, or new, covenant.

Hebrews 9
15For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

16In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it, 17because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living. 18This is why even the first covenant was not put into effect without blood.

So after the new covenant was established, that is after after the death of Jesus, Christians were still keeping the Sabbath. Most scholars would say the book of Luke was written some 30 years after the death of Christ and Luke referred to the Sabbath as a commandment. Luke would have known if the Sabbath was still a commandment, or not, but he referred to it as such.

Luke 23
55The women who had come with Jesus from Galilee followed Joseph and saw the tomb and how his body was laid in it. 56Then they went home and prepared spices and perfumes. But they rested on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment.

So wouldn't that place the Sabbath as a commandment in the new covenant as well as the other 9 commandments?
He wrote later but he is referring to the time before. Jesus had yet to resurrect.

Clearly the early church met on the first day of the week...Acts 20:9 and other places...

If you trust Luke, surely you trust Paul.

Mar 4, 2020
He wrote later but he is referring to the time before. Jesus had yet to resurrect.

Clearly the early church met on the first day of the week...Acts 20:9 and other places...

If you trust Luke, surely you trust Paul.
The death of Jesus is when the new covenant took effect or was ratified, according to Hebrews 9. Commandments kept in the new covenant can't be set aside or added to.

These women and Joseph of Arimathea mentioned in Luke 23 were disciples of Jesus. So they know what his commandments would have been. They kept the Sabbath.

John 19
38Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly because he feared the Jewish leaders. With Pilate’s permission, he came and took the body away.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I understand it and the more I look at it the more compelling the evidence is for literal Sabbath keeping.

In Matthew 24, Jesus speaks of eschatological end times, referring to a future event that clearly hasn't even happened yet.

Matthew 24:20
20Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath.

If the literal Sabbath was going to be irrelevant then why did Jesus tell his disciples to pray that their flight, from the things mentioned in the preceding verses, not take place on the Sabbath? On the Sabbath they would normally be resting, but taking flight isn't rest. So Jesus clearly had respect for the literal Sabbath in mind for the end times which we are presently in.
Because it was in Israel...
They were (and still are) legalistic morons in a fashion. Even if there is a siege going on violations of the Sabbath laws could get you killed instantly. (Nehemiah or Ezra seen to it)
The object of the exercise was that Jesus wanted them to live on Earth as well as Heaven.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
The death of Jesus is when the new covenant took effect or was ratified, according to Hebrews 9. Commandments kept in the new covenant can't be set aside or added to.

These women and Joseph of Arimathea mentioned in Luke 23 were disciples of Jesus. So they know what his commandments would have been. They kept the Sabbath.

John 19
38Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly because he feared the Jewish leaders. With Pilate’s permission, he came and took the body away.
The point is that He hadn't resurrected yet. Nor ascended. Nor seated at the right hand of the Father.
Do you believe that because 1 reason was given that others are excluded. It's a general argument that you single out and give undo attention to it.
If you want to be literal, tell me exactly how much time is necessary after the death for the covenant to begin. But please be very exact and scriptural. Otherwise, at best, say you can't know...scripture doesn't say exactly.
In my opinion, you are straining at gnats while swallowing elephants.

Mar 4, 2020
If you want to be literal, tell me exactly how much time is necessary after the death for the covenant to begin. But please be very exact and scriptural. Otherwise, at best, say you can't know...scripture doesn't say exactly.
The new covenant begin immediately when Christ died on the cross.

Hebrews 9

16In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it, 17because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living.

In my opinion, you are straining at gnats while swallowing elephants.
Thank you. I love it when people disrespect me, but God's commands aren't gnats. This is important.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
It wasn't about disrespect and if you perceived it as such, please accept my apologies.
My point is if you are going to be so literal, please show me from scripture that the new covenant began immediately upon Jesus death and that no other conditions are also necessary please.

Mar 4, 2020
It wasn't about disrespect and if you perceived it as such, please accept my apologies.
Its okay I think I misunderstood you. My apologies.

My point is if you are going to be so literal, please show me from scripture that the new covenant began immediately upon Jesus death and that no other conditions are also necessary please.
Hebrews 9:17
17because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living.

An interesting thought is that it also says "it never takes effect while the one who made it is living." But then Jesus was resurrected and lived again. Does that sound strange to you too?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022

17because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living.

An interesting thought is that it also says "it never takes effect while the one who made it is living." But then Jesus was resurrected and lived again. Does that sound strange to you too?
That is a general statement. It does say after but doesn't say immediately. It also doesn't say there are no other conditions. It also doesn't address the question of Sunday worship practiced in the early church.
It just seems to me if you insist on being so specific, why not on all things?

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
That is a general statement. It does say after but doesn't say immediately. It also doesn't say there are no other conditions. It also doesn't address the question of Sunday worship practiced in the early church.
It just seems to me if you insist on being so specific, why not on all things?
Because he isn't any different than most people....
They apply different hermeneutics on a rotating basis depending upon what they want to believe.

Essentially it's cut and paste scriptures. Cut out the parts you don't like and overly emphasize and contort the parts you want. Everything from genocide to slavery and especially adultery have resulted from such divinations.

Nov 17, 2022
Just curious if anyone observes the Sabbath. It seems like some people do and some people don’t, citing a variety of reasons.

Are there any clear commands to observe a Sabbath rest on the seventh day of the week? Which verses? I ask because I see there are clear commands to observe some of the 10 commandments, but I can’t find anything about Jesus or one of the apostles commanding anyone to keep the Sabbath.

Personally I don’t observe Sabbath day of rest as of right now, but I’ve considered it and I’m not opposed to it.

Also, if you keep the Sabbath, what do you do and don’t do on your Sabbath day of rest?
I don't. I will never understand those Judaizers who tell us to keep the Sabbath not eat pork etc.

Sunday is our rest, because of the Resurrection.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022

I missed your last point the first time through. And it kind of makes my point. Sometimes teaching isn't exactly literal, nor is the way it is written meant to make every doctrine.
I can't imagine anyone saying it's ok to misuse your position of authority so long as it makes you appear wise in the world's eyes. But a literalist has no alternative but to given Jesus' praise of the unjust steward.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I don't. I will never understand those Judaizers who tell us to keep the Sabbath not eat pork etc.

Sunday is our rest, because of the Resurrection.
I'll never understand someone giving up bacon. For that matter, I don't see how anyone can resist a spiral ham.

Nov 17, 2022
I'll never understand someone giving up bacon. For that matter, I don't see how anyone can resist a spiral ham.
What the Jews and "Judeo-Christians" miss is that they can't follow the whole of the Mosaic law because the temple is destroyed.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
I understand it and the more I look at it the more compelling the evidence is for literal Sabbath keeping.

In Matthew 24, Jesus speaks of eschatological end times, referring to a future event that clearly hasn't even happened yet.

Matthew 24:20
20Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath.

If the literal Sabbath was going to be irrelevant then why did Jesus tell his disciples to pray that their flight, from the things mentioned in the preceding verses, not take place on the Sabbath? On the Sabbath they would normally be resting, but taking flight isn't rest. So Jesus clearly had respect for the literal Sabbath in mind for the end times which we are presently in.
You are reading the eschatology in Matthew 24, this has to be read with Luke 21.

You will end up with a misunderstanding of the eschatology, if you only read Matthew 24. Which is what a lot of folk do and I cannot understand why.

Luke 21:20-24
But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near. Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are inside the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city; because these are days of punishment, so that all things which have been written will be fulfilled. Woe to those women who are pregnant, and to those who are nursing babies in those days; for there will be great distress upon the land, and wrath to this people; and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

Notice the first phase, the end of Jerusalem and the temple (AD 70). Then we have the second phase, the age of the Gentiles which we currently are in.

Matthew compressed the two events together, whereas Luke separates the two events.

History confirms the two events are separate.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Don't tell me your also eating the meat from strangled animals (Acts 15)?

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
What the Jews and "Judeo-Christians" miss is that they can't follow the whole of the Mosaic law because the temple is destroyed.
An even bigger point, is that no one except Jesus could seriously fulfill the law.

All I have seen through the Old Testament is God restraining the fury of His judgement upon mankind.

Gentile or Jew makes no difference, they are all disobedient, rebellious, destructive and dangerous.

We crucified the creator of heaven and earth.

Seriously, can it get any worse?

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
An even bigger point, is that no one except Jesus could seriously fulfill the law.

All I have seen through the Old Testament is God restraining the fury of His judgement upon mankind.

Gentile or Jew makes no difference, they are all disobedient, rebellious, destructive and dangerous.

We crucified the creator of heaven and earth.

Seriously, can it get any worse?
When the power of the Holy people is shattered (like a crystal bowl is shattered and spread out when dropped) the Messiah will come to gather them together again to be made whole.

The first time Jesus came humbly...and in a gentle manner....but God ALWAYS returns on thunder clouds riding a horse majestically making war....and it's always a lopsided thing. All in opposition don't stand a chance....and even the most prepared people will suffer the most.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
That and no one besides Jesus can actually keep the law.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Jesus rose on the first day, we gather to remember Jesus. To celebrate His resurrection and break the bread. I have never treated the first day as a rest day. Rejoice on the first day and every other day of the week.

The sabbath rest was fulfilled by Jesus, now we have the eternal rest in Him, and especially from our own dead works.

The revelation in the New Testament is all about Jesus, front and center.