Do you observe the Sabbath?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Sorry, I don't understand your point. You don't call walking through a field and picking heads of wheat work?
Yes it is a work. But works of necessity have always been allowed. For example, if an ox fell in a ditch, it wasn't against the law to get it out on the Sabbath.
But that has nothing to do with my question. I'm asking: since you believe you are commanded to keep the Sabbath...Exodus 20:8...do you also believe you are commanded to work 6 days as commanded in Exodus 20:9? And do you actually keep that part of the commandment?

Mar 4, 2020
Yes it is a work. But works of necessity have always been allowed. For example, if an ox fell in a ditch, it wasn't against the law to get it out on the Sabbath.
But that has nothing to do with my question. I'm asking: since you believe you are commanded to keep the Sabbath...Exodus 20:8...do you also believe you are commanded to work 6 days as commanded in Exodus 20:9? And do you actually keep that part of the commandment?
Yes I keep it the same way Jesus and his disciples kept it.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Yes I keep it the same way Jesus and his disciples kept it.
Jesus and His disciples were in ministry. They wouldn't have worked a typical work week from Sunday through Friday. Just yes or no. Do you work as a means to support yourself Sunday through Friday, working all 6 days?

Mar 4, 2020
Jesus and His disciples were in ministry. They wouldn't have worked a typical work week from Sunday through Friday. Just yes or no. Do you work as a means to support yourself Sunday through Friday, working all 6 days?
"Being in a ministry" isn't a reason why someone can work on the Sabbath. We're all in a ministry my friend. Are you doing God's work with me?

You keep insisting over several comments I answer a question in a specific way, referencing a passage about no work on the Sabbath when Jesus plainly authorized work on the Sabbath. I already answered your question. I told I work as necessary 6 days a week and no I don't hold a job on the Sabbath, but at the same time I will do what's good for me or those in need on the Sabbath. I can hold a job on the Sabbath if I needed to.

H

HopeinHim4ever

Like the other commandments, Jesus expanded on them or defined them correctly. The Sabbath is not an exception.

I normally just think of what Jesus demonstrated acceptable work is on the Sabbath, it's actually quite broad. Jesus and his disciples gathered wheat, read the Scripture, did at least one recorded miracle that I recall, and authorized someone to pick up his bed.

The Sabbath, in my opinion, is pretty easy to keep and most of it I do anyway. Just keep it holy, be prayerful, do good, and so on. For a Christian, this should be a 7 day a week thing anyway.

The Sabbath is a particularly less worldly day, though, and I treat it as such. There are some worldly things I can do that aren't sins, but I may actually avoid them on the Sabbath completely. That's how it makes sense to me and it's a way to keep it holy.
"My Father works hitherto I work"
"It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath"
"The sabbath is made for man, not man for the sabbath"
""The Son of man is lord also of the sabbath"

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
"Being in a ministry" isn't a reason why someone can work on the Sabbath. We're all in a ministry my friend. Are you doing God's work with me?

You keep insisting over several comments I answer a question in a specific way, referencing a passage about no work on the Sabbath when Jesus plainly authorized work on the Sabbath. I already answered your question. I told I work as necessary 6 days a week and no I don't hold a job on the Sabbath, but at the same time I will do what's good for me or those in need on the Sabbath. I can hold a job on the Sabbath if I needed to.
Ok. Thanks for sharing.

H

HopeinHim4ever

"My Father works hitherto I work"
"It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath"
"The sabbath is made for man, not man for the sabbath"
""The Son of man is lord also of the sabbath"
Oh, Runningman I just noticed you actually quoted a lot of those verses in previous posts. lol.

H

HopeinHim4ever

Curious what would you constitute as "necessary"?

MessengerofTruth

Dec 21, 2022
I appreciate all those answers but my question isn't how you keep the sabbath but whether or not you keep the command to work the other 6 days--not spiritual work, but gainful employment or do you work fewer than 6 days at your job?
Most of the time it is 5 days of heavier work and a day for catching up on things or even visiting others at times.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Most of the time it is 5 days of heavier work and a day for catching up on things or even visiting others at times.
Thank you. That was the question I was actually asking. So, when you work less than 6 days, do you believe you are breaking the command to work 6 days?

Oct 28, 2022
Thank you. That was the question I was actually asking. So, when you work less than 6 days, do you believe you are breaking the command to work 6 days?
The text says, and means, to accomplish all common work in the 6 days. The pattern of God, in Genesis 1-2, shows the meaning, and example (Ex. 20:11).

Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

Do you think it means to work 6x24 hrs?

Oct 28, 2022
Wouldn't it be "doing well" to work gainful employment on the Sabbath to feed your family?
No, because it violates the commandment, since the commandment itself is about trusting God to provide the day in which is to be rest. Thus twice as much in the preparation day, Exo. 16.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
The text says, and means, to accomplish all common work in the 6 days. The pattern of God, in Genesis 1-2, shows the meaning, and example (Ex. 20:11).

Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

Do you think it means to work 6x24 hrs?
Of course not. I was just interested to know if those who staunchly held to sabbath observance were as meticulous about working 6 days-- whatever that may entail.
Another question that interests me is how strict the actual observance is.

Mar 4, 2020
No, because it violates the commandment, since the commandment itself is about trusting God to provide the day in which is to be rest. Thus twice as much in the preparation day, Exo. 16.
I disagree. Someone who doesn’t provide for their family is worse than an unbeliever. You’re telling me people should abandon their family on the Sabbath then? That isn’t keeping it holy.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Another question that interests me is how strict the actual observance is.
Right.

Exo 31:14
Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

Exo 31:15
Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Exo 35:2
Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.

["Dominion Theology" (*EEEKS!*) would have it so...]

MessengerofTruth

Dec 21, 2022
But I do not believe GOD ever intended to be a slave driver. We can see that GOD accepted the apostles yet there was not an over emphasis on them working, yet we can see that they did work. But they seemed as though they were always hanging out with Jesus.

I think sometimes we can get focused on the letter of the Law and miss the point. I know I did that when I was new in the Faith and God had to teach me not to be too uptight.

It's about delighting yourself in Him and rejoicing in what He has provided. The Sabbath was made for man (humans) we need a break and the command is to Remember the Sabbath to keep it set apart from other days, to be refreshed spiritually and physically.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
But I do not believe GOD ever intended to be a slave driver. We can see that GOD accepted the apostles yet there was not an over emphasis on them working, yet we can see that they did work. But they seemed as though they were always hanging out with Jesus.

I think sometimes we can get focused on the letter of the Law and miss the point. I know I did that when I was new in the Faith and God had to teach me not to be too uptight.

It's about delighting yourself in Him and rejoicing in what He has provided. The Sabbath was made for man (humans) we need a break and the command is to Remember the Sabbath to keep it set apart from other days, to be refreshed spiritually and physically.
I appreciate your perspective. My concern is what even is the proper keeping of the Sabbath. Three people have responded and all 3 have different understanding of how to even keep it.
I agree that it is the intention or spirit of the law that is in view. But the spirit of the law is much more difficult to keep than mere outward conformity. It requires perfection in motivation and the law to be kept fully and continuously.
This is the point Jesus is stressing in the sermon on the mount when He said...you have heard it said, but I say...
Many believe He was adding to the law but He wasn't. He was merely teaching that this is what the law always required. That's why He said to the people...unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will all likewise perish.

No one has ever perfectly kept the Sabbath or any other commandment except Jesus. And the only way we will ever keep a commandment is if Christ lives in us. And, even then, it will be Him keeping it.