Do you observe the Sabbath?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MessengerofTruth

Dec 21, 2022
I appreciate your perspective. My concern is what even is the proper keeping of the Sabbath. Three people have responded and all 3 have different understanding of how to even keep it.
This is why Col. 2 says not to let anyone judge you. We are not under a strict observance. We are under grace to be led by the Spirit. If we are led by the Spirit, we will do by nature the things that are contained in the Law. Hope you find a good understanding.

MessengerofTruth

Dec 21, 2022
Right.

Exo 31:14
Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

Exo 31:15
Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Exo 35:2
Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.

["Dominion Theology" (*EEEKS!*) would have it so...]
We have been freed from the law of sin and death to serve in the newness of the Spirit. :)

Oct 28, 2022
I disagree. Someone who doesn’t provide for their family is worse than an unbeliever. You’re telling me people should abandon their family on the Sabbath then? That isn’t keeping it holy.
So, it seems, you are saying (implying?), God our FATHER won't provide for His chidlren on sabbath, and that we, as His neglected children need to scurry about gathering sticks, and scrounging in labour to earn enough to eat? God cannot provide?

You see, I thought, God was our provider.

Gen 22:8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

Abraham was a man of FAITH, and trusted that God would provide.

Gal_3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

Gal_3:9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

Heb 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

Heb_11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Perhaps you should rethink what you are really saying, because from my perspective, you are not talking, nor think, FAITH, but the opposite in doubt and presumption.

Joh_8:39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
This Sabbath keeping garbage is getting old.
It really got old for me arguing with SDA's on the Christian Forums site who relentlessly talked about Sabbath keeping 24/7 as if keeping the Sabbath day was the very heart of the gospel of salvation. I once called out one particular SDA for promoting a false gospel of "salvation by grace plus law, faith plus works" and he blatantly denied it, then he turned around and proved me right by posting this below:

The counterfeit Gospel is out there. It is a Gospel that tries to separate God's Law (10 commandments) from the Cross. It is a Gospel that tries to separate God's 10 commandments from the plan of salvation. God’s Law has always been part of the true Gospel of Christ. The counterfeit Gospel does not have it. God's forever Law (the 10 commandments) is the foundation of both the Old and the New Covenant and the very foundation and basis of the true Gospel of Christ.

So SDA's DO teach "salvation by grace plus law, faith plus works." (Galatians 1:6-9) SDA's basically teach salvation by faith + obeying the 10 commandments (with a heavy emphasis on the 4th commandment).

Dec 29, 2022
The ”one day" “above another” or “every day alike” in Romans 14:5-6 is associated with eating and not eating (vs 6), among "men", which are days set apart for men for fasting/feasting, etc. The Jews had constantly fought with one another over which days were better to do this
I'm not saying the Jews didn't debate about what days were appropriate for fasting because we the historical record of that fact.
The context does give us some clues about" the eating and not eating" in the above verse 2 For one believes that he may eat all things: another, who is weak,eateth herbs then Paul ties in;
verse 14 "I know and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself, but to him that esteemeth anything to be
unclean, to him it is unclean.
verse 20 ......all things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offense.........or anything whereby thy brother stumbleth.............or is made weak.

I am certainly not saying you can't use this passage to for setting people free from judging one another. Fasting is definitely a disputable matter, but I think it primarily was dealing with meats that were clean or unclean. The law had changed with the new covenant coming in and there were weaker brethren that thought some meats were unclean still or that it was sacrificed to other pagan gods.
My humble take on it.
Shalom!

Dec 29, 2022
So SDA's DO teach "salvation by grace plus law, faith plus works." (Galatians 1:6-9) SDA's basically teach salvation by faith + obeying the 10 commandments (with a heavy emphasis on the 4th commandment).
Basically, SDA'S believe what their Prophet Ellen G. White promoted about sabbath being the seal of God. It's hard to talk to them sometimes because I really believe that they think if they give up sabbath they'll be giving up their salvation for the Mark of the beast somehow and they Also believe that sabbath was commanded at creation and it is a sign for the relationship between them and God.

The only sign I'm aware for Jews and Gentiles is that " a virgin shall conceive and a Son given and his shall be called Emanuel" God with us"

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Basically, SDA'S believe what their Prophet Ellen G. White promoted about sabbath being the seal of God. It's hard to talk to them sometimes because I really believe that they think if they give up sabbath they'll be giving up their salvation for the Mark of the beast somehow and they Also believe that sabbath was commanded at creation and it is a sign for the relationship between them and God.

The only sign I'm aware for Jews and Gentiles is that " a virgin shall conceive and a Son given and his shall be called Emanuel" God with us"
I almost fell out of my chair in disbelief when I first read this article below: o_O

Seventh-day Adventists teach that the near the end of time the "mark of the best" of Revelation 14 will be placed upon those who worship on Sunday instead of Saturday.

https://nonsda.org/study8.shtml

Speaking of Ellen G White and the seal of God.

https://nonsda.org/study7.shtml

Mar 4, 2020
So, it seems, you are saying (implying?), God our FATHER won't provide for His chidlren on sabbath, and that we, as His neglected children need to scurry about gathering sticks, and scrounging in labour to earn enough to eat? God cannot provide?

You see, I thought, God was our provider.

Gen 22:8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

Abraham was a man of FAITH, and trusted that God would provide.

Gal_3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

Gal_3:9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

Heb 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

Heb_11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Perhaps you should rethink what you are really saying, because from my perspective, you are not talking, nor think, FAITH, but the opposite in doubt and presumption.

Joh_8:39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.
That’s typically not how God’s providence works. When was the last time you literally received manna falling down from heaven? That’s what I thought. Normally you gotta meet Him halfway.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
It really got old for me arguing with SDA's on the Christian Forums site who relentlessly talked about Sabbath keeping 24/7 as if keeping the Sabbath day was the very heart of the gospel of salvation.
I remember you from another forum, maybe that was it; I was there under the same name. I used to be one of the Sabbath keepers who was always preaching it; but thanks to you and some others who showed me the truth in the scriptures I let it go and never looked back.

I was influenced by SDA propaganda and other books. The SDAs aren't the only ones pushing it; it's the whole Hebrew/Jewish roots movement.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
This is why Col. 2 says not to let anyone judge you. We are not under a strict observance. We are under grace to be led by the Spirit. If we are led by the Spirit, we will do by nature the things that are contained in the Law. Hope you find a good understanding.
I'm not struggling with Who and when to worship. I already do as you have just said. But the thread is about sabbath keeping and some who insist on a strict observance of it, and who insist it is sinful to do otherwise.
I'm just trying to understand where they are coming from.
I worship on the Lord's day. I find my rest in Christ.

Mar 4, 2020
I remember you from another forum, maybe that was it; I was there under the same name. I used to be one of the Sabbath keepers who was always preaching it; but thanks to you and some others who showed me the truth in the scriptures I let it go and never looked back.

I was influenced by SDA propaganda and other books. The SDAs aren't the only ones pushing it; it's the whole Hebrew/Jewish roots movement.
As far as I am aware, there aren't any SDAs, Hebrews roots movement people, or Ellen White followers on this forum to argue with. I just started following the Sabbath a few weeks or so ago. Personally, I just go with it because that's what I see the New Testament says to do.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Sounds like I’d be martyred then. Is that what you’re saying?

What would your church of the Inquisition do to me after examination by their court and my subsequent guilty verdict?
The Inquisitor reviews the evidence and determines the sentence.

Inquisitions are legal procedures with the purpose of protecting the doctrine of the church.

You will be handed over to the secular authorities which carry out the sentence.

No blood on my hands.

Mwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
I'm not struggling with Who and when to worship. I already do as you have just said. But the thread is about sabbath keeping and some who insist on a strict observance of it, and who insist it is sinful to do otherwise.
I'm just trying to understand where they are coming from.
I worship on the Lord's day. I find my rest in Christ.
It is better to state what they propose in clear language.

They perform the works of the law, they advocate the law.

We are under grace and not under the law (Romans 6:14).

Where there is no law there can be no violation of the law, in other words, no wrath (Romans 4:15).

Those under the law are judged by the law (Romans 2:12).

The origin of legalism stems from a failure to understand, the fulfillment of the law by Jesus Christ.

Mar 4, 2020
The Inquisitor reviews the evidence and determines the sentence.

Inquisitions are legal procedures with the purpose of protecting the doctrine of the church.

You will be handed over to the secular authorities which carry out the sentence.

No blood on my hands.

Mwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
You've really gone off the tracks now.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
As far as I am aware, there aren't any SDAs, Hebrews roots movement people, or Ellen White followers on this forum to argue with. I just started following the Sabbath a few weeks or so ago. Personally, I just go with it because that's what I see the New Testament says to do.
May I correct your post?

The New Testament does not teach that Gentiles should honor the law, Gentiles are not under the law.

The Old Testament teaches that Jews should honor the law, the sabbath.

Galatians 5:4
You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by the Law; you have fallen from grace.

There is no justification, righteousness, in the law, only wrath.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
It is better to state what they propose in clear language.

They perform the works of the law, they advocate the law.

We are under grace and not under the law (Romans 6:14).

Where there is no law there can be no violation of the law, in other words, no wrath (Romans 4:15).

Those under the law are judged by the law (Romans 2:12).

The origin of legalism stems from a failure to understand, the fulfillment of the law by Jesus Christ.
That's obviously one tactic. How's that been working for you? It's not that I don't agree with what you write, but are your means producing your desired ends?

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
You've really gone off the tracks now.
I heard a Catholic Bishop explaining how Inquisitions worked. The Catholic Church did not kill anyone during the Inquisitions, the secular authorities executed those that were found guilty. See, the Inquisitor has no blood on his hands.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
That's obviously one tactic. How's that been working for you? It's not that I don't agree with what you write, but are your means producing your desired ends?
Perfect, I have the righteousness of Jesus Christ, I am perfect. I have been justified and sanctified to perfection by Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 10:10
By this will, we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all time.

Hebrews 10:14
For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.

Romans 5:17
For if by the offense of the one, death reigned through the one, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.

Perfect righteousness is a gift which I have received.

Your talking to the elite here.

A perfect Christian.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Perfect, I have the righteousness of Jesus Christ, I am perfect. I have been justified and sanctified to perfection by Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 10:10
By this will, we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all time.

Hebrews 10:14
For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.

Romans 5:17
For if by the offense of the one, death reigned through the one, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.

Perfect righteousness is a gift which I have received.

Your talking to the elite here.

A perfect Christian.
I didn't mean for you. I meant for those you are sharing with.

Mar 4, 2020
I heard a Catholic Bishop explaining how Inquisitions worked. The Catholic Church did not kill anyone during the Inquisitions, the secular authorities executed those that were found guilty. See, the Inquisitor has no blood on his hands.
That isn't how it works. Those who handed over Jesus to Pilate were guilty of murder.

Acts 3
15You killed the author of life, but God raised him from the dead. We are witnesses of this. 16By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through him that has completely healed him, as you can all see.
17Now, fellow Israelites, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did your leaders.