Do you observe the Sabbath?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Am i a legalist because i believe the 4th commandment is Gods will?
Joh 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

Jesus said the above.

Am i a legalist if i say...."I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge; because I seek not mine own will, but to do the will of the Father."?

Am i a legalist if God is master of my life?
If i say not my will but thy will be done Lord, am i a legalist?
I’m not sure how those examples relate to legalism. But it is certainly true that you cannot mix legally derived compulsion and being led by the Holy Spirit. Also, the currently active testament should frame our understanding of what was true and what is true. God does not change, but the way He deals with man does. Understanding this will give us light for the way forward.

For example, the 4th commandment reads “Honor your father and your mother”. Now, as this was written to the Jews who had already transgressed God’s direction (“The law was added because of transgressions”) it was intended to be understood by a carnal and disobedient people with self-serving interest. Although this particular law, and many others, served to establish order in the aggregate, it was ultimately given to reveal the nature of God.

To the carnally-minded, their “mothers and fathers” were two particular people from whom their flesh derived, mom and dad. That’s the understanding according to the manner in which God dealt with His people. But what does the NEW way show us? What does the NEW TESTAMENT tell us about our mother and father?

First, that God is our father. He is the one from whom our very being comes. For the majority of the Jews, in their minds, their ancestry went as far back as Abraham only. So when Jesus said, “Call no man on earth your father” He was revealing the fullness of God’s understanding of the word “father” (in that context) and putting an end to the notion that the people ultimately derived their being from a man. God gives life and meaning to man before they are even born. So, for God’s people, God is our father.

And what about “mother”? Well, same deal: who or what is revealed to be, according to the revealed higher standard of the New Testament, “the mother of us all”? The “Jerusalem that is Above” is our mother, or at least the mother of God’s children. This understanding would require a lengthy teaching so I’ll just leave it at that.

So, let’s consider the Sabbath. The carnal and unbelieving (which means “disobedient”) were only required to take 1 day out of 7 as rest under the old way God dealt with man. This was the standard to which God held the people. But what about now? Well, now that we know we are God’s children, and that the children of God are to “only do what we see our Father doing” (as THE SON showed us) we must examine the posture of our Father as He is currently. When we do that we see that He has been at rest since the end of the 6th day. So we must enter into that Sabbath with Him.

Now, this is not about napping, or lounging, or vacationing. No, that’s silly. And it’s not about not doing work. Jesus healed on the Sabbath, so we should know that a child of God, who does what his Father shows him, may be very active even at rest. The Sabbath mindset is this: I will rest from my own work and will only do what I see my Father doing. We give up the pride of life that rules carnal men. The pride of life is self-seeking, self-serving, self-protecting, and ultimately serves only the man. This is “our own work” from which we rest.

When we operate from a position of Sabbath rest there is no chance that work fails and no chance that the outcome is dependent upon our strength. And what understanding is gained by this? that we are of God and have been from the beginning. That we are earthen vessels that carry the grace of the Almighty and that we will never fail when we walk in the things He’s prepared for us to do from the beginning of time.

Sabbath rest, therefore, is not a day of rest. It is a way of life in Christ.

With love,
Aaron56

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Where have I hard that before? Oh... yeah!
Deu 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.​
Lev 19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.​
Lev 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.​

One would almost think that was 'only for the "Israelites"' ... but they would be wrong there too.
The law was fulfilled by Jesus Christ, Jesus fulfilled all things. Jesus established a new covenant with mankind.

You quoted Leviticus 19:18, which is the law, "love thy neighbor as thyself".

Christians have been called to a much higher commandment.

John 13:34
I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

Your quotation from the law concerning love (Leviticus 19:18) is not the commandment, that we have been given.

Leviticus 19:18 is a conditional love based on self love.

John 13:34 is unconditional, divine love, that Christ displayed in all His glory.

You have a legal veil over your eyes, if you do not understand what I have written.

Mar 4, 2020
A question for the anti-Sabbatarians:

The 5th commandment is "honor your faith and mother." Do you believe this has been abolished, are you required to keep it, or is Christ doing it for you?

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022

The 5th commandment is "honor your faith and mother." Do you believe this has been abolished, are you required to keep it, or is Christ doing it for you?
That was fulfilled, so now Christians LOVE their mother and father.

You have made some progress, but your still looking through the looking glass of the law.

That is why you misunderstand the full revelation of Jesus Christ.

You are now under the law of freedom, not the yoke of slavery.

Mar 4, 2020
That was fulfilled, so now Christians LOVE their mother and father.

You have made some progress, but your still looking through the looking glass of the law.

That is why you misunderstand the full revelation of Jesus Christ.

You are now under the law of freedom, not the yoke of slavery.
Um, no. I totally reject pretty much everything I've ever seen you say. Just for the record. I'm just asking for discussion purposes to understand how you got so far off track.

How about commandment 8: You shall not steal.

Am I allowed to steal things?

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Where have I hard that before? Oh... yeah!
Deu 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.​
Lev 19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.​
Lev 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.​

One would almost think that was 'only for the "Israelites"' ... but they would be wrong there too.
The law pointed to Jesus the messiah. Now we love Jesus. God has been revealed to us and that God was Jesus.

So now we no longer use the word 'God', we use the name Jesus, we confess the name of Jesus. We boast in the name of Jesus.

Leviticus 19:18 was upgraded by Jesus Christ.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Um, no. I totally reject pretty much everything I've ever seen you say. Just for the record. I'm just asking for discussion purposes to understand how you got so far off track.

How about commandment 8: You shall not steal.

Am I allowed to steal things?
You have been commanded to freely give to others.

Galatinas 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

In love, you even give up your own life for others. The thought of theft is alien to a Christian.

Love from a pure heart and a sincere faith, not struggling to not steal something.

Your under the law and that endeavor is devoid of the fruit of the Holy Spirit.

Christ has written the law of unconditional love into your heart.

A Christian cannot sin.

Ted01

May 14, 2022

Anti-Sabbatarians? lol... that's new to me.
Yes, we keep it because Christ is doing it in us. (short answer).

Scripture tells us that when we are Born-Again, we are born into newness of life. This is a spiritual life that includes the real, actual indwelling of the Holy Spirit. So, we "walk in the Spirit" two ways... one is living a life where we focus on spiritual issues as opposed to flesh/carnal... and two, that we walk by the real-time leading of the Holy Spirit, who guides into righteous living (in regard to association among men) and Righteousness before God which is imputed to us by Jesus Christ. And because of all this, God's Law is written on our hearts and mind.

When Scripture talks about the law being abolished, (Eph. 2:15), I don't think of it as the law being thoroughly thrown away into the garbage. Comparing with other Scripture, I think it's talking about the law being fulfilled by Christ now is complete and opens the way for the New Covenant, which is of Grace and Spiritually focused. Faith is the core of Christian belief, and that faith includes trusting Jesus, through the Holy Spirit, will work in us to both will and do, His good pleasure.

The thing that I see differently than folks who hold to a works-based religion is that our Faith is in the finished work of Jesus Christ. That includes realizing that I cannot keep, laws/rules/regulations etc., it's not part of human nature to even come close. The "old" shows us that it was never meant to. And when we walk according to the spirit/Spirit, we quit trying to live according to the flesh, trying to appease God by our works... "I keep the 10 Commandments so that God approves of me."

Mar 4, 2020

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

In love, you even give up your own life for others. The thought of theft is alien to a Christian.

Love from a pure heart and a sincere faith, not struggling to not steal something.

A Christian cannot sin.
Sounds like you're teaching I'm allowed to steal things.

Mar 4, 2020

A Christian cannot sin.
And don't just quote Galatians 5:22-23 and stop there.

Look at this where it says idolatry. Guess what? Idolatry is forbidden by Commandments 1 & 2.

Galatians 5
19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Feb 8, 2023
Still on earth !
@mailmandan

Yes, I agree disturbing,eye-opening, ect.............

Lol fool that I am.....I grew up thinking a " Christian is a Christian"!

The term is useless today !

Now DENOMINATIONS that's a whole other kind of discussion. One that puts folks either inside or outside the TRUTH!

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Denominations are just Satan's tool for dividing and conquering. There is only one Church.

Ephesians 4:5
“One Lord, one faith, one baptism,”

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Nobody, including the writers of the Bible, seems to have gotten that memo except for you.
Are you sure about that?

1 John 3:9
No one who has been born of God practices sin, because His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin continually, because he has been born of God.

Your accusing the brethren of sinning.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Denominations are just Satan's tool for dividing and conquering. There is only one Church.

Ephesians 4:5
“One Lord, one faith, one baptism,”
Ain't that the truth.

1 Corinthians 11:19
For there also have to be factions among you, so that those who are approved may become evident among you.

Why so many remnant churches?

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
And don't just quote Galatians 5:22-23 and stop there.

Look at this where it says idolatry. Guess what? Idolatry is forbidden by Commandments 1 & 2.

Galatians 5
19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
While you neglect drunkenness, factions, selfish ambition, witchcraft, etc.

Which one of the ten warns you against drunkenness?

Which one of the ten warns you against causing factions?

These are deeds of the flesh, and there are many more of these deeds.

Galatians 5:21
Envy, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

The ten commandments are useless in restraining the deeds of the flesh.

I know that you cannot understand what Paul is talking about in Galatians.

Dec 21, 2020
Are you sure about that?

1 John 3:9
No one who has been born of God practices sin, because His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin continually, because he has been born of God.
Look at the wording. "practices sin," and "sin continually." Other translations have "make a practice of sinning."

Paul knew he still sinned. Read Romans 7. And if Christians don't sin, what are 1 John 1:8-10 for? Throwaway scriptures?

Your accusing the brethren of sinning.
I'm not accusing anyone of sinning. I know for a fact, from the Bible, that everyone sins. The VAST majority of Christians KNOW they still sin.

Oct 28, 2022
So now we no longer use the word 'God', we use the name Jesus ...
So, no Christian in the NT used the word "God"?

Just from Acts to Revelation, I find that the word "God" is used at least 1054 times, in 917 verses (KJB). Cases in point:

1Jn_5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.​
1Jn_5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.​

1Jn_5:19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.​

Jud_1:25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.​

Oct 28, 2022
Which one of the ten warns you against drunkenness?

Which one of the ten warns you against causing factions?
Consider:

Pro_20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.​

The very nature of the alcohol is described by that verse (and many others - https://archive.org/details/drink-up-these-are-not-drunken-as-ye-suppose_202301 ) and part of that nature is deception (or lying).

The 9th commandment deals with truth, and not lying.

Exo 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.​

In Isaiah 28, the alcohol stole the priest's heart away from God, and the 8th Commandment deals with theft:

Exo 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.​

In so partaking of the alcohol, the priests committed adultery and idolatry, mocked at the things of God and his prophets, etc, breaking all of the commandments.
Isa 28:1 Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim, whose glorious beauty is a fading flower, which are on the head of the fat valleys of them that are overcome with wine!​

Isa 28:3 The crown of pride, the drunkards of Ephraim, shall be trodden under feet:​
Isa 28:7 But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.​
Rev_17:2 With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.​
Pro 31:4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:​
Pro 31:5 Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.​
Hos_4:11 Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.​

The commandments (10 C) cover all things.

Psa_119:96 I have seen an end of all perfection: but thy commandment is exceeding broad.​