Doctrine of Unconditional Election

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
I think Fredo's prejudice against Calvinism has them seeing Calvinists everywhere he/she looks. Even to the point their bias abrogates scripture that was pre-Augustine, and pre-John Calvin.

"There are several common misconceptions about unconditional election. First, it is important to understand that the doctrine does not teach that God’s choice is capricious or arbitrary. It is not random or made without reason. What it does teach is that God elects someone to salvation not because of something worthy God finds in that individual but because of His inscrutable, mysterious will. He makes the choice as to who will be saved for His own reasons, according to His own perfect will and for His own good pleasure (Ephesians 1:5). And while some object to the doctrine of election as being unfair, it is nevertheless based upon God’s will and it pleases God; therefore, it must be good and perfectly just. "
Unconditional election - is it biblical?

Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

Romans 9:11 Though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls

2 Timothy 1:9 Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,

Bold text is my addition to this excerpt.
Election in the Bible
Joel S. Kaminsky, Joel N. Lohr
  • LAST REVIEWED: 11 August 2020
  • LAST MODIFIED: 24 February 2021
  • DOI: 10.1093/obo/9780195393361-0250

Introduction
Election within the Bible is the notion that God favors some individuals and groups over others, an idea that finds fullest expression in the Hebrew Bible’s affirmation, supported in the New Testament, that Israel is God’s chosen people. Election/chosenness is quite pervasive in the Hebrew Bible as evidenced by the recurring sibling rivalry stories in Genesis in which one sibling is specially favored. God’s granting Israel special status entailed both unmerited privilege as well as an expectation of a proper human response toward God. Genesis 18:19 states, “I have chosen him [Abraham], that he may charge his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing righteousness and justice; so that the Lord may bring about for Abraham what he has promised him.” Similarly, Exodus 19:5–6 proclaims: “Now then, if you will obey Me faithfully and keep My covenant, you shall be My treasured possession among all the peoples.” Election is related to Israel’s status as a “holy nation” (e.g., Deut 14:2, “For you are a people holy to the Lord your God; it is you the Lord has chosen out of all the peoples on earth to be his people, his treasured possession”), and is grounded in an act of divine love and faithfulness to the divine promise (Deut 7:6–9). Despite severe castigation of Israel’s failings, the prophetic corpus appears to assume the permanence of Israel’s election even while the prophets proclaim that Israel’s privileged status carried with it heavier responsibility than other nations and stricter standards of judgment (Amos 3:2). Some of the most profound biblical meditations on the implications of chosenness can be found in Isaiah 40–66, a collection of postexilic oracles, sayings that time and again declare God’s enduring love for his beloved people and his intention to restore them once more to a flourishing life in the land of Israel. The belief that the Jews are God’s chosen people is a central theological axiom within post-biblical Jewish tradition. The New Testament, building on Hebrew Bible antecedents, depicts Jesus as the beloved, or specially chosen, son of God. Certain New Testament texts, like the Gospel of John and Revelation, at times appear to equate those chosen by God with those who will obtain ultimate salvation, a notion that becomes amplified within those forms of Protestantism influenced by Luther’s emphasis on being saved by grace (through faith) and especially Calvin’s theology of double predestination. Yet, within much of the biblical tradition the idea of election is neither dualistic nor directly linked with one’s salvation or damnation. One of the most central debates in New Testament studies is the question of the nascent church’s relationship to the historic people of Israel and whether Jewish resistance to the gospels meant they had forfeited their election, a topic discussed in great depth by Paul in Romans 9–11. Ultimately, Paul concludes that God’s election of Israel stands, even for those who have become “enemies of the gospel,” something he calls a “mystery” (Rom 11:25–28).
This is great but I would just disagree with
There is no such thing as "Christ's faith". What do you think He is trusting in? That is absurd.

The issue is Christ's faithfulness. So quit talking about your false doctrine of "Christ's faith".

So what did He have faith IN?

The text is simple enough. "hast not denied by faith" means hasn't denied faith IN Me".

The main issue in the Bible is to trust or have faith IN Christ.
I agree, the issue is whether you believe in/on Christ. It is either to receive him or reject him.

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021

I agree, the issue is whether you believe in/on Christ. It is either to receive him or reject him.
Hard to follow your broken sentences there as delivering a cogent thought.
I will say to the last sentence, you seem to think the Bible tells us it is our choice. Nothing in the NT tells us it is. And sadly, no matter how often we try, those who know this can't get through to those who refuse to see it. Though that is scripture too I suspect.

Why would anyone argue God's word is incorrect when he tells us the definition of His Elect?
If you're saved, you're one of His Elect.

Problem?

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
Why would anyone argue God's word is incorrect when he tells us the definition of His Elect?
[2Th 2:13 KJV]
13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
[2Th 2:13 KJV]
13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

I think a thorough reading of Romans 8 and then Romans 9 God’s Sovereign Choice
(Genesis 25:19–28; Malachi 1:1–5) will clear up any confusion on either side.

Jan 31, 2021
You don't know what Atonement is?
I do. Do you?

How can someone be reconciled to God but not Righteous before Him? It is not possible.
I just explained it to you in my previous post to you. Go back and digest it.

There are so many terms you just misunderstand badly.
OK, so deal with some of them and enlighten me.

What do you think reconciliation is???
I think it is what the Bible SAYS it is. A 2 party deal. Each party must agree for full reconciliation. If only 1 party extends their hand, but the other doesn't, there is no reconciliation.

In 2 Cor 5:19 God has "extended His hand in reconciliation" through Christ's death on behalf of everyone.

However, in the very next verse, Paul encourages people to "be reconciled to God". If you don't see 2 sides to reconciliation, you just don't want to.

So, God has extended His hand. Man "extends his hand" by believing the gospel. That's full reconciliation.

By paying the sin debt, Jesus has every right and authority to offer the free gift of eternal life (which He paid for) to everyone.

Jan 31, 2021
Your lack of understanding of everything biblical is astounding.
You must be very easily astounded then. Why don't you explain yourself rather than just lob these cheesy cheap shots.

Christ DID die for all sin.
That's what I said. So I guess from your comment above, you're about as stupid as I am, according to yourself. May I say that you lack of understanding of everything biblical is astounding. lol.

But you have to come to Him and ask for His Forgiveness before you can be given this Gift.
Please quote any verse that says this. I don't believe you because I KNOW what the Bible says for receiving the free gift of eteranl life.

It seems you are the one who lacks understanding of the Bible.

Its not automatically applied to all people.
Gee. We agree again!! Astounding!!

Only believers.
Wowsers. Quit agreeing with me. I'll be getting a bad rep if people find out. :ROFL:

I guess my "lack of understanding of everything biblical" is catching, huh.

You began your post with that snark, and then agreed with me on 3 points. ok.

Jan 31, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:
Hold on. No one is born believing in Christ. So everyone has committed the sin of unbelief.

But Christ died for ALL sins. The Bible says so clearly.

What sends people to the lake of fire is not possessing eternal life. Rev 20:15. Just that.
You're going to be
when someone laughs at your pointed observations there. You know this, right?
I wasn't posting to you, my dear. It is amazing how many believers are so ignorant of Scripture, and think sins is what sends people to hell. Hardly.

I suppose someone who is hypersensitive and takes everything personally might do the head banging thing. But I just chuckle softly at stupidity. I'm not bothered because I am not responsible for how others think (or lack thereof) nor accountable.

Jan 31, 2021
Only God calls and gifts through his grace Salvation and belief. And he predestined this before he created the world.
Please show at least 1 clear verse that God predestined salvation and belief.

Jesus took the sins of the world! An endless list of sins of the world abound. Lust, envy, greed, murder, hate, theft, adultery, etc....

It doesn't say Jesus took the sins of every sinner in the world upon himself on the cross.
So you demand your own speshul wording before you'll believe it?

John 1:29 - The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!
John the baptizer was NO Calvinist.
John 4:42 - They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.” Neither were the Samaritans.

2 Cor 5:14,15
14 For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.
15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

Now, go find any context that defines "all" as ONLY a subset of the human race.

Heb 2:9 - But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

1 Tim 2:3-6
3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior,
4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,
6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time.

1 Tim 4:10 - That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.

1 John 2:2 - He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Go ahead and from context prove that "whole world" only means "the rest of the elect" or any some such category.

You can do what you want with these verses. But what you CANNOT do is find anything in any of the contexts that limits "whole world" or "all" to less than all of mankind.

Because every single scripture, including John 3:16, is delivered in the context of God having predestined whom he would save before the foundation of the world.
Then show me the "context" for your claim from John 3:16.

Ephesians 1:4 Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love
The word "us" in the phrase "He chose us" is clearly defined in v.19: "us who believe". So 1:4 is an election of believers. NOT, as Calvinist presume, an election of unsaved to salvation.

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:
Hold on. No one is born believing in Christ. So everyone has committed the sin of unbelief.

What sends people to the lake of fire is not possessing eternal life. Rev 20:15. Just that.

I wasn't posting to you, my dear. It is amazing how many believers are so ignorant of Scripture, and think sins is what sends people to hell. Hardly.

I suppose someone who is hypersensitive and takes everything personally might do the head banging thing. But I just chuckle softly at stupidity. I'm not bothered because I am not responsible for how others think (or lack thereof) nor accountable.
Lord.
I know you weren't speaking to me. As my reply to you proved. You were speaking to "grandpa", who laughed (alerts) at your observation. Which is your post that I addressed.
Maybe go back and follow the line of posts to see this.

It's a forum. People respond to posts not directly addressed to them.

Jan 31, 2021
I will say to the last sentence, you seem to think the Bible tells us it is our choice. Nothing in the NT tells us it is.
Couldn't be more wrong. Of course believing is a choice. We do it all the time. During presidential elections we listen to the candidates and decide who to believe.

But, getting to Scripture, consider these verses about choice:

Acts 14:2 - But the Jews who refused to believe stirred up the other Gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brothers.
Acts 19:9 - But some of them became obstinate; they refused to believe and publicly maligned the Way. So Paul left them. He took the disciples with him and had discussions daily in the lecture hall of Tyrannus.

It is the height of absurdity to refuse to do something you are unable to do. It would be irrelevant to say you refuse.

So refusing is clearly a choice. So is believing. 2 sides of a coin.

2 Thess 2:10 - and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

Rev 16:9 - They were seared by the intense heat and they cursed the name of God, who had control over these plagues, but they refused to repent and glorify him.

Rev 16:11 - and cursed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, but they refused to repent of what they had done.

These verses prove that believing is a choice, just as refusing to believe is a choice. Or repentance.

And sadly, no matter how often we try, those who know this can't get through to those who refuse to see it.
And here you are, speaking about refusing. Ironic. It's a choice.

Could you share that verse that defines 'elect'?

If you're saved, you're one of His Elect.
Problem?
Uh, yeah. Tell that to Judas Iscariot.

John 6:70,71
70 Then Jesus replied, “Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!
71 (He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray him.)

Care to reconsider?

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:

You're just quick to post accusatory insulting remarks because those are your priority. Otherwise, you'd care to read carefully and therein comprehend when someone is speaking to you, not against you.

Jan 31, 2021
Lord.
I know you weren't speaking to me. As my reply to you proved. You were speaking to "grandpa", who laughed (alerts) at your observation. Which is your post that I addressed.
Maybe go back and follow the line of posts to see this.
Why should I care?

It's a forum. People respond to posts not directly addressed to them.
How many decades have you been on forums? I claim 2. How many for you?

Jan 31, 2021
You're just quick to post accusatory insulting remarks because those are your priority.
Actually, you are the one who lobs accusatory and insulting remarks at others.

You have no idea what my priority is. So don't pretend that you do.

Otherwise, you'd care to read carefully and therein comprehend when someone is speaking to you, not against you.
I'm not the hypersensitive one here. I couldn't care less what people think of me. My priority is presenting biblical truth.

What you think (guess?) my priority is doesn't matter to me at all.

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021

John 1:29 - The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!
John the baptizer was NO Calvinist.
John 4:42 - They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.” Neither were the Samaritans.

2 Cor 5:14,15
14 For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.
15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

Now, go find any context that defines "all" as ONLY a subset of the human race.

Heb 2:9 - But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

1 Tim 2:3-6
3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior,
4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,
6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time.

1 Tim 4:10 - That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.

1 John 2:2 - He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Go ahead and from context prove that "whole world" only means "the rest of the elect" or any some such category.

You can do what you want with these verses. But what you CANNOT do is find anything in any of the contexts that limits "whole world" or "all" to less than all of mankind.

Then show me the "context" for your claim from John 3:16.

The word "us" in the phrase "He chose us" is clearly defined in v.19: "us who believe". So 1:4 is an election of believers. NOT, as Calvinist presume, an election of unsaved to salvation.
When people repeatedly post the scriptures here and thread after thread, and that answer your first request in your post quoted above and you insist it needs to be proved again and again, I look to my Heavenly Father and give thanks.
He said he hardens hearts that not all would understand. He said he spoke in parables his teachings as our living Christ for that same reason.
And now, you are proof of that. Again and again.

Thank you.
Thank God for you proving the truth of scripture that we all know is there. I, we, are doubly blessed to witness present day examples of those scriptural truths in these times.

1 Corinthians 2:14

Mar 23, 2016
the righteousness is by Christ's faith. He was faithful to the Father
No one disputes that the Lord Jesus Christ was faithful.

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of [Greek ἐκ] the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of [Greek ἐκ] God by [Greek ἐπί] faith

The righteousness of God rests upon us by faith ...

you claim you have faith ... Post #1283

When God gives you a gift and you receive the gift ... is the gift yours???

or did you decline the gift and say "No thanks, God, that belongs to the Lord Jesus Christ"???

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021

"or did you decline the gift and say "No thanks, God, that belongs to the Lord Jesus Christ"???
"is the gift yours"?

Don't follow what point is, but possibly, the below answers it. When someone becomes born again,
God also renews (changes) their core spiritual values, so that one's fundamental thinking, understanding, and the way they look at life
becomes very different spiritually speaking; that is, they translate a very different person. That change also being a part of the gift- you become the gift, the gift doesn't become you

[Eph 4:23 KJV] 23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

[Phl 2:13 KJV] 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of [his] good pleasure.

[Eph 1:17 KJV] 17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

Mar 23, 2016
Don't follow what point is
The point is ...

you keep saying "it is Christ's faith, not ours". In other words, not my faith ... or your faith ... Christ's faith.

In Post #1283, you posted Ephesians 2:8
[Eph 2:8 KJV]
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:
So I asked:

or did you decline the gift and say "No thanks, God, that belongs to the Lord Jesus Christ"???

Jan 31, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:

When people repeatedly post the scriptures here and thread after thread, and that answer your first request in your post quoted above and you insist it needs to be proved again and again, I look to my Heavenly Father and give thanks.
Well, good for you. However, your claim that verses that clearly teach that salvation and belief is predestined have been repeatedly shown is PATENTLY FALSE. It doesn't matter what you claim. Your claims are false. You CANNOT provide any such verses.

So please quit making the claim. If you DID have such verses, you would have gladly quoted them again, to prove your point.

But instead, you default to your generalized claim which is false. With my claim that your claim is false, the easiest thing you could do is simply quote that "one clear verse" again to refute me.

But, did you? No, you punted. Simply made an empty claim that isn't true. So, there we are.

He said he hardens hearts that not all would understand. He said he spoke in parables his teachings as our living Christ for that same reason.
The Bible commands that believers NOT judge others, but here you are, doing exactly that, by your cheap shot insinuation that God has hardened my heart and cannot understand. That is garbage. it's also an arrogant claim. As if you have understanding.

But, because you HAVEN'T quoted that "one clear verse" to refute me, but only made another EMPTY claim, proves that you DON'T have the truth.

And now, you are proof of that. Again and again.
I have given you every opportunity to prove me wrong. But all you are able to do is be snarky, and fling empty claims.

Thank you.
You're welcome. It's not fun to have to brace an errant believer. But it becomes necessary as in this case.

Thank God for you proving the truth of scripture that we all know is there. I, we, are doubly blessed to witness present day examples of those scriptural truths in these times.
Such sarcasm gets you nothing.

1 Corinthians 2:14
I recommend examining the context for what this verse actually means.

6 We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.
10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.
12 What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us.
13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words.
16 for, “Who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?”But we have the mind of Christ.

So, for those interested in context, v.6 and 10 show the subject that Paul was referring to in v.14. He was speaking to believers for their spiritual growth, which is irrelevant to unbelievers who do not have the Holy Spirit. They cannot learn the truths that lead to spiritual growth, for that reason. The "deep things of God" are advanced doctrines that specifically help a believer to grow spiritually.

Things like being IN fellowship with the Lord, and being filled with the Spirit. From my several decades of experience on these forums, it is clear that not very many believers even understand these things. They have no idea what I'm talking about when I bring these doctrines up. I'm not doubting their salvation, but I am SEEING the effects of their NOT growing in grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus. iow, they have failed to grow up spiritually.

Weirdly, many believers take 1 Cor 2:14 as evidence or proof that unbelievers cannot comprehend the gospel. But that is patently false, because I've seen many articles over the years in secular magazines such as Life, Time, and Newsweek by authors who have accurately described the gospel but don't believe. This proves that unbelievers CAN and DO understand the gospel.

And this is easily supported by Titus 2:11 - For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people.

Now, apply your Calvinistic talking points and apply them to this verse. Since God's grace HAS appeared and offers salvation to all people, it would seem everyone would have salvation. Obviously that isn't the reality.

Why would God offer salvation to all people IF IF IF your so-called "non-elect" can't understand it?

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
So I asked:

When God gives you a gift and you receive the gift ... is the gift yours???or did you decline the gift and say "No thanks, God, that belongs to the Lord Jesus Christ"???
Neither. We neither accept nor decline the gift (or would we desire to) - it is given unconditionally to those whom the Father has chosen: the Elect. When we are born-again, we become unconditionally indwelt by the Holy Spirit. Some of the Holy Spirit's fruits are Faith and spiritual wisdom (among others).

Does that answer your question? If not let me know

[Rom 8:11 KJV] 11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

[Gal 5:22 KJV] 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

[Eph 1:18 KJV] 18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

Jan 31, 2021
Neither. We neither accept nor decline the gift (or would we desire to) - it is given unconditionally to those whom the Father has chosen: the Elect.
Why make this claim when there are NO verses that say this? Eternal life is given to believers. That's what the Bible says.

Again, Eph 1:4 says that God chose BELIEVERS (us) to be holy and blameless.

And you STILL haven't quoted any verse that says that God elects or chooses to salvation unconditionally. It is obvious throughout the NT that salvation is conditioned upon faith in Christ. So that IS the condition. Therefore, obviously salvation cannot be unconditionally based on election.

When we are born-again, we become unconditionally indwelt by the Holy Spirit. Some of the Holy Spirit's fruits are Faith and spiritual wisdom (among others).
Do you understand what a believer must do to be filled with the Spirit? Yes, all believers are indwell with the Spirit. But to be filled is a command to obey. How do you obey that command? That means you have to do something to be filled with the Spirit. What is it?

[Rom 8:11 KJV] 11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
See? All believers are indwelt, but believers are commanded to be filled. Do you know the difference?

[Eph 1:18 KJV] 18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
Your quote misses an important part of this verse. Here is the entire verse:

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people,

The bolded words at the beginning show that Paul was praying had a purpose. iow, it is not a guarantee that every believer's eyes of their heart are enlightened. He prays for that "so that you may know the hope (confidence)."

You quoted the verse as if the eyes of your understanding is a reality, because you intentionally capitalized the first word "The".

However, by ignoring the actual first 3 words, "I pray THAT", you've attempted to change the meaning completely.

That is not "rightly dividing the Word of Truth". Rather, that is trying to twist the verse into something it does not say or mean.