Doctrine of Unconditional Election

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
King Agrippa had an understanding of the prophets.

26 For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner.
27 King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest.
28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
It can be understood that we did not choose God, but God chose us first.
When the gospel began to spread, God chose us first.
So then if that is correct, everyone must become saved because those He has chosen, He saves:

[Rom 8:29-30 KJV]
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

[Eph 1:4, 7 KJV]
1:4 KJV]
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, ...
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
Respectfully, many people "almost" believe but regarding salvation, close doesn't count. If saved, and from being saved, those saved have no doubt whatsoever regarding Jesus as being the Saviour.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Respectfully, many people "almost" believe but regarding salvation, close doesn't count. If saved, and from being saved, those saved have no doubt whatsoever regarding Jesus as being the Saviour.
And yet, King Agrippa understood the prophets and chose not to believe.

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
No, he understood the prophets but only to the superficial physical/carnal level but not deeper to find Christ as Saviour. He did not have the Holy Spirit to lead him to the spiritual, otherwise, he would have. Can/would anyone "choose" what they don't believe to be true?

Jan 31, 2021
justpassinthrough said:
Unbelievers can’t grasp spiritual things.

So what does that prove?
That since everyone is born an unbeliever it is impossible to come to, have faith in, Christ in and of ourselves.
No, it's not "impossible" to believe or trust in Christ. Anymore than it's not impossible to trust in the chair that you decide to sit on or the bridge that you trust and drive over, which demonstrates your faith.

The Bible is clear about the fact that all men CAN believe. There are 2 verses that say that "men refused to believe". Acts 14:2, 19:9.

In Rev we have 3 mentions of refusal; in ch 3 about Jezebel, and ch 16, where men "refused to repet".

If you believe what words mean, to "refuse" shows a choice being made. iow, No one can "refuse" to do something that they CANNOT do.

That is absurd and insanity. The very act of refusal proves an ability.

Just try telling someone you refuse to do something that they KNOW you can't do anyway. See how they respond (react) to that.

Further, Rom 1:19-20 proves ability to believe.
19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them.
20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Couldn't be any more clear.

People who lack ability CANNOT be held accountable for not doing what is asked/commanded/etc.

We must first be given the Holy Spirit and that can only happen by becoming born again.
The Bible says differently. The Holy Spirit is GIVEN on the basis of faith in Christ. That's what is "first".

Eph 1:13 - In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,

iow, the Holy Spirit is received "when you believed".

Not only that verse, but these as well:

Gal 3-
2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?
5 Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith--

So, 3 verses that plainly teach that we receive the Holy Spirit on the basis of faith in Christ.

Your view has it backwards.

So true faith, should one have it, was solely as a gift outside of our control or effort.
No verse says this. Not even Eph 2:8.

This means since not everyone gets to have faith, that it is specifically given by God to certain people but not everyone. Those to whom God does not give it, can never have it.
Since Titus 2:11 says that the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared (been offered to) EVERYONE, your view is wrong.

Christ died for everyone so that "whosoever does believe, shall have eternal life.

It is available to everyone.

Consider this: IF your claims were true, then those God didn't choose would have a ready excuse: "but I wasn't chosen, like those other sinners who didn't deserve it either".

That's the dilemma that your view creates. Giving unbelievers an excuse for not being chosen.

Anyway, the biblical doctrine of election isn't even about salvation. That notion needs to be jettisoned.

Election is about service. Every verse that shows a purpose in election show service.

1 Cor 1:27,28
27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong;
28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are,

I don't see salvation in either verse, but I DO SEE very clearly that election is to service in every example.

1 Pet 1-
1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who are elect exiles of the dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood: May grace and peace be multiplied to you.

Red words addess the "elect".
Blue words state the purpose of their election: which is service, or obedience.
Green words show that election isn't 'unconditional' but on the basis of God's foreknowledge. iow, God knows who will believe.

Now, show me any verse that teaches that God chooses who will believe, the real point of reformed "election".

Jan 31, 2021
Respectfully, I would suggest that your interpretation directly contradicts the verses you posted.
Those who become saved, become saved, solely because they were chosen by God.
Please quote any verse that clearly and UNAMBIGUOUSLY says so.

We don't "choose" to believe.
Actually, we do. Every choice we make. It is a choice between or among options.

True belief is a fruit of the Spirit given from becoming born-again, not before
Nope. The fruit of the Spirit is what believers experience when filled with the Spirit. Has nothing to do with getting saved.

Should we believe that our faith in Christ is a result of our choosing, then we still don't have it
Do you know a gift can be rejected? Of course it can. That's a choice.

God's gift is offered. It must be taken or received in order to possess it. Like EVERY other gift.

When the gospel message is heard, the hearer has a choice to make. To either believe it or not.

When in an election year, and you hear a lot of political speeches/etc, you have a choice to make. To either believe what you hear, or not.

Bottom line: where are the verses that actually say what you believe?

Jan 31, 2021
John146 said:
I think you misunderstood the point.

All that was necessary for the king to get saved was to believe that Jesus of Nazareth IS the Messiah of the OT. Yes, he was close.

Everyone in the OT needed to believe in the Messiah for salvation. Once Jesus appeared, they NEEDED to transfer that belief in the Messiah to Jesus personally.

Some did, but many didn't. They crucified Him instead.

Jan 31, 2021
Actually, we don't know that. Seems he didn't on that day with Paul, but it is possible he considered what Paul said and believed later.

I suppose history would have clues or hints about the king. I don't.

Jan 31, 2021
No, he understood the prophets but only to the superficial physical/carnal level but not deeper to find Christ as Saviour.
All this talk about "superficial faith/level" is silly. Agrippa needed to know who the Messiah is. Until he heard about Jesus, he couldn't believe.

During Jesus' time on earth, all who were believing in the Messiah would be saved if they hadn't heard about Jesus. But everything changes when Jesus is manifested. Jesus appealed to unbelievers on the basis of the miracles He did. John 10-
37 If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me;
38 but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father."
39 Again they sought to arrest him, but he escaped from their hands.

He did not have the Holy Spirit to lead him to the spiritual, otherwise, he would have. Can/would anyone "choose" what they don't believe to be true?
Everyone is under conviction by the Holy Spirit.

John 14-
7 Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.
8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment:
9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in me;
10 concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer;
11 concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

The "word" here, as always, refers to mankind in general. All of them. No verse uses "world" to mean ONLY believers.

Oct 31, 2015
That since everyone is born an unbeliever it is impossible to come to, have faith in, Christ in and of ourselves.
/QUOTE]

Why would you believe faith and grace is n and of ourselves?

I don’t know of anyone who believe we are saved in and of ourselves.

Only people who obey Jesus Christ will receive eternal salvation.

And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him. Hebrews 5:9

JPT

Jan 31, 2021

And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him. Hebrews 5:9
To be clear, our faith in Christ isn't what saves us. It is God who saves "those who believe". 1 Cor 1:21 says so in those words.

Faith comes from the heart. Rom 10:10

Our faith in Christ is simply our trust in who He is (Deity) and what He did for us (pay the sin debt) and what He promises to those who do trust Him (save them). How's that for a nutshell?

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021

If we need to do anything to gain our salvation, then without question, we would have saved ourselves. In the verse as you've quoted it, it itself says (if we read it as standalone without comparing to other verses), that eternal salvation is dependent upon our obedience. So, we could assume from that alone, that salvation is acquired by our actions i.e., we obey - we become saved: the first gives the second.
However, if we compare your verse to others (which we should always do), we see just the opposite. Please read the below verse. In it, we are told that those who do obey (who are of the CALLED of Jesus Christ), do so ONLY BECAUSE they first had been given GRACE and APOSTLESHIP by Christ, for that purpose -- their obeying was not of themselves as natural man. Instead, it was as a fruit of the Spirt.
Said in the reverse, had they not been given such grace and apostleship, they would not have been obedient to the faith. So, when we find "obey" or "obedience" mentioned in the Bible relative to salvation, we can know it was given as a gift. This interpretation allows both verses to harmonize between/with each other, where otherwise, they would conflict.

[Rom 1:4-6 KJV]
4 And declared [to be] the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:
6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:

Jan 31, 2021
If we need to do anything to gain our salvation, then without question, we would have saved ourselves.
No you wouldn't. That's just a fallacy, pushed by Arminians who seemingly have no clue what grace is about or even belief.

Belief in Christ is non-meritorious, meaning it merits or EARNS nothing. It is God who has obligated Himself to save those who believe.

He saves on the basis of grace (which means we CAN'T earn it) which is through faith. So faith is involved. But the Reformed theory that God chooses who will be given faith to believe is nonsense, and not found in the Bible.

Man is free to accept God's gift of salvation or reject it, just as any young lady is free to accept an engagement ring or reject it.

akennethjr

Nov 26, 2021
No you wouldn't. That's just a fallacy, pushed by Arminians who seemingly have no clue what grace is about or even belief.

Belief in Christ is non-meritorious, meaning it merits or EARNS nothing. It is God who has obligated Himself to save those who believe.

He saves on the basis of grace (which means we CAN'T earn it) which is through faith. So faith is involved. But the Reformed theory that God chooses who will be given faith to believe is nonsense, and not found in the Bible.

Man is free to accept God's gift of salvation or reject it, just as any young lady is free to accept an engagement ring or reject it.
Man is not autonomous.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Man is not autonomous.
If by this you mean that mankind does not have free will, that is patently false. Since God made mankind in His own image and in His own likeness (Gen 1:26,27), He also gave Man free will. This is implied in Genesis 2:16, 17: And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

1. Does this show that Adam could disobey God is he so chose? Absolutely

2. Did Adam disobey God? Absolutely

3. Do men disobey the Gospel? Absolutely

4. Does that confirm that human beings have free will? Absolutely

Both men and angels were created with free will, and both disobeyed God. But God already knew the end from the beginning, therefore the Lamb of God was slain from before the foundation of the world. However, there is no redemption for angels.

God could not be glorified if men were created as robots. Indeed, the question of disobedience would not even arise.