Does Christ "dying for our sins" mean that Jesus was punished for our sins?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 24, 2012
Ok... but if Jesus was just fulfilling the role of a sacrifice it would explain this, and it says chastisement, not punishment. Just asking questions because I don't understand things well and don't want to believe a false gospel.
Oh, I might have been completely ignorant. Chastisement just might mean the same thing as punishment.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
I guess part of the reason I'm asking is because I think it would be a lot easier for me to understand what Paul is saying in 1 Corinthians 15 if "Christ died for our sins" just means Jesus died to take the punishment for our sins, but I think Jesus might have just been the substitutional sacrifice for our sins (like animals used to be sacrificed for our sins, without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness, if I'm understanding that correctly (the KJV puts Hebrews 9:2 differently though)) and that he didn't actually take the punishment for our sins. @brightfame52 brings up something good (Isaiah 53), maybe it can be gathered from that that Jesus took the punishment for our sins? It doesn't explicitly say that though, though it does say the chastisement of our peace was upon him (and other things). I just don't get it I guess. I would really like to have a firm understanding of what Paul meant by "that Christ died for our sins" in 1 Corinthians 15:3, but it is obscure to me.
He took my place
His life He freely gave
He took my place
a soul from sin to save
He took my place
upon the cruel tree
He took the guilty sinner's place and I am free.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
I like how the AMP says it
"Yet the LORD was willing To crush Him, causing Him to suffer; If He would give Himself as a guilt offering [an atonement for sin], He shall see His [spiritual] offspring, He shall prolong His days, And the will (good pleasure) of the LORD shall succeed and prosper in His hand. "

KJ "Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief. When You make His soul an offering for sin, He shall see His seed, He shall prolong His days, And the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in His hand."

He took it all. All the suffering this life in the natural that happens because of sin He took it that and spiritual. For our sake He made Him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
Does anyone know of any scripture that specifically says that Jesus was punished for our sins? I don't know of any that explicitly say it, though I guess it might be gleaned from Isaiah 53 (specifically that the chastisement of our peace was upon him).
Also 1 Peter 1:17-21 is a pretty clear passage on how we are "ransomed"

17 And if you call on him as Father who judges impartially according to each one's deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile, 18 knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. 20 He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for the sake of you 21 who through him are believers in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.

Matthew 20:28 reaffirms this
28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Of course Romans 3:21-26

21 But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— 22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. 26 It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

2Cor 5:21

20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

I honestly think every verse in the Bible supports this idea simply because it's the truth and has to, and is the ONLY way to reconciliation with our Creator God. But there are many more that support it as well. I just listed a few.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Jesus, after resurrecting, went to the trouble of eating food and being handled to prove he was not a spirit only, but also flesh and bone. John 20
Yes, but no blood. My body still needs an open door to get into my home. As I tell my wife when she complains about the draught.........

People seem to forget that we are made in God's image. This is before the fall of man. Jesus still has a spiritual body. I'm looking forward to mine.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Ok... but if Jesus was just fulfilling the role of a sacrifice it would explain this, and it says chastisement, not punishment. Just asking questions because I don't understand things well and don't want to believe a false gospel.
If you look up the meaning of words, you will be less confused. To chastise means to punish severely, including by whipping. Jesus was whipped with the Roman scourge. That was a precursor to the "cat o' nine tails" used by the British army and navy. The Roman scourge was a nastier form that used bits of bone embedded in the strands of the whip. Isaiah said that the back of Jesus was like a ploughed field. Yes, Jesus was punished for our sins.

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
Leon Morris wrote a great book on this subject entitled, “Atonement.” I highly recommend it.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John 2:2 ESV

What world is under consideration? There is a world of believers, and there is a world of non-believers.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Crucifixion was reserved for the worst kind of criminals and rebels against Rome. Even the worst kind of criminal can be forgiven, should they repent and believe.
Repenting and believing are works performed by those that Jesus died for (those that his Father gave him) to redeem them from their sins as they live their lives here on earth, and has nothing to do with their eternal salvation

Feb 9, 2019
What world is under consideration? There is a world of believers, and there is a world of non-believers.
I do believe that only a minority of people on the earth will be saved. Christ could have died for everybody although only a small percentage of people will accept Him.

13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. Matthew 7:13-14 ESV

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
That would be nice, but if someone could linguistically explain it to me using scripture in a way that makes sense to me that would also help too! I can't make the connections in my head that Jesus was punished for our sins based on what I've read. The chastisement of our peace being upon him is sort of close I guess (for me), but I can't make that leap that Jesus took the punishment for our sins, I guess I don't understand things well enough to get it if that's what it means.

Those that he died for, which were only those that his Father gave him (John 6:37-39) have the promise of eternal life in heaven, however, at times, they still are tempted and lust after the things of the world

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
I do believe that only a minority of people on the earth will be saved. Christ could have died for everybody although only a small percentage of people will accept Him.

13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. Matthew 7:13-14 ESV

In my understanding of the scriptures, with the determination to make them harmonize, is that there will be many more that go to heaven, than there are that go to hell. If you will bear with me, I will explain why I think that.

Spiritual Israel, which is made up of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation (Rev 5:9) Spiritual Israel is Jacob, whom God has changed his name to be no more called Jacob, but to be called Israel.(Gen 32:28).(Rom 9:6-13)

Most of spiritual Israel turned away from God and began to worship idols, they were still God's people, just disobedient children, but God left in the midst of them a remnant that shall trust in the Lord. (Zeph 3:11-13)

So there are two types of God's children, Those that are disobedient, who are going about teaching false doctrines, and the remnant that trusts in the Lord.

There is a wide gate which are God's children who are disobedient and preaching false doctrines, and there is a strait gate which are the remnant of spiritual Israel that trust in the Lord, which leads them to enjoy an abundant and peaceful life as they sojourn here on earth.

I believe the scriptures to teach that God's children are The church, and there is visible church, which is the remnant, and there is an invisible church which is the wide gate.

Ezk 10 speaks of a wheel within a wheel that harmonizes with the two gates. The Larger outer wheel being the wide gate and the inner smaller wheel being the strait gate.

These scriptures seems, to me, harmonize with each other. When Jesus was on earth preaching the gospel, their were far more people who rejected Christ's doctrine (disobedient children) than there were who accepted it

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018

We have to be careful to not apply all of the salvation scriptures to eternal salvation, if we do, they will teach us that eternal salvation can be achieved by our good works, and that is a false doctrine. Salvation=deliverance, according to Strong's concordance. Most of the salvation scriptures are deliverance that the born again receive here on earth by their good works.