Does God forgive suicide?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 19, 2020
I cannot believe God would forgive the [deliberate] thought out pre meditated act of suicide. I can see accidental, panic scenarios, definitely fading into death and realizing they made a mistake and was able to ask forgiveness before death took them. To God, this is a simple answer, to us, our reasoning condemns ourselves in every angle.

CS1

May 23, 2012
I would like to know why you are unsure about your Spiritual condition.

Suicide cannot send one to hell unless they are unsaved when they die. It's not a matter of suicide its a matter of not having forgiveness of sin before death.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
first off you are not one of authority on this topic to be saying such an ill-responsible thing. WE are to discourage any kind of discussion that in some way trivializes or makes the act of suicide ok. We are on a chat site and I encourage anyone who is asking or thinking of such a thing to get immediate help and speak to someone directly. @ 800-273-8255.

Jan 28, 2021
first off you are not one of authority on this topic to be saying such an ill-responsible thing. WE are to discourage any kind of discussion that in some way trivializes or makes the act of suicide ok. We are on a chat site and I encourage anyone who is asking or thinking of such a thing to get immediate help and speak to someone directly. @ 800-273-8255.
To be fair, I don't think he was intending to trivialise it. That wasn't my reading of it al all.
I think he was just answering the question asked in the first post in the thread.

CS1

May 23, 2012
To be fair, I don't think he was intending to trivialise it. That wasn't my reading of it al all.
I think he was just answering the question asked in the first post in the thread.
anytime person speaks of the eternal consequence of one committing suicide and doesn't know in this day and age is wrong. let's look at the comment, shall we?

"Suicide cannot send one to hell unless they are unsaved when they die. It's not a matter of suicide its a matter of not having forgiveness of sin before death."

This comment is opinionated and not founded in fact. IF a person with intentions to do harm who is not in the right state of mind seeing " Suicide cannot send one to hell" and " it's not a matter of suicide its matter of not having forgiveness of sin before death".

Biblically this comment is not correct. Suicide in orthodox Christianity is and has always been a sin, lead to an eternal condition. One who is mature should know never to say about taking one's life in such a manner.

Christians should fight for life as the word of God does. 2pet 3:9

The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Jan 28, 2021
anytime person speaks of the eternal consequence of one committing suicide and doesn't know in this day and age is wrong. let's look at the comment, shall we?

"Suicide cannot send one to hell unless they are unsaved when they die. It's not a matter of suicide its a matter of not having forgiveness of sin before death."

This comment is opinionated and not founded in fact. IF a person with intentions to do harm who is not in the right state of mind seeing " Suicide cannot send one to hell" and " it's not a matter of suicide its matter of not having forgiveness of sin before death".

Biblically this comment is not correct. Suicide in orthodox Christianity is and has always been a sin, lead to an eternal condition. One who is mature should know never to say about taking one's life in such a manner.

Christians should fight for life as the word of God does. 2pet 3:9

The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
My point wasn't whether he answered the question correctly from a Biblical standpoint (I genuinely don't know), I was simply saying that he wasn't trying to trivialise the issue.
Please reread.

CS1

May 23, 2012
My point wasn't whether he answered the question correctly from a Biblical standpoint (I genuinely don't know), I was simply saying that he wasn't trying to trivialize the issue.
Please reread.
I respect you the fact you don't know, in that point, I would only say if one states

"Suicide cannot send one to hell unless they are unsaved when they die. "

Yet will not say as you have "I genuinely don't know" but make these statements is trivializing the issue.

AgapeShellArt

Nov 21, 2018
I skimmed the thread and didn't see the OP return. So I will respond to all three scenarios

1. If you are suicidal, remember that God loves you. This world is tough and I often want to just call it quits and be with Him too. However, God gave us a purpose in life a mission to complete before He calls us back home. Don't give up the fight. It's a battle and you are not alone. We will pray fight along side you.

Mental illness is NOt a sin....however the cause of mental illness was Adam's fall in the garden.

However the story doesn't end there. The answer is Jesus. he saved us and wants us to be free.

AgapeShellArt

Nov 21, 2018
2. If you had a friend commit suicide.

Then I would say I believe God has forgiven them of failing to win the battle. He still loves them and would no more toss them out then you would a beloved child who got beaten up by bullies.

It's sad that they died and I am sorry for your pain. I hope you can remember the love you shared together.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
I couldn’t edit in time ...

Trying again - sorry -

Although it is a horrible situation, it is certainly not a sin to genuinely feel mental anguish, or to be depressed or suicidal, nor does it mean a person is any more sinful or weaker than anyone else.

Jesus was certainly a man of many sorrows and aquatinted With grief... Suffering mental anguish probably unlike any of us will ever know - so much so that the pressure He was under caused Him to sweat drops of blood on one occasion.

And we are not to be ignorant or unaware... that at times the disciples despaired of life too.

It is not easy to enter into the sufferings of Christ, or to endure the trials of life and our failing human flesh and heart, but be assured He is with us and will uphold us, and be our strength in times of weakness if we trust in and look to Him and bit ourselves.

EA2847DF-3118-4A34-8F97-97989B414695.png

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Does God forgive Christians who commit suicide?
Well the belief that one goes to hell for taking their own lives isn't even in scripture as far as I know it is in fact a doctrine from the catholic church and their teaching are lets say abnormal
When I attempted suicide in december I nearly died and all I could do was ask him to please have mercy and hope that I could rest in grace I should have died I had several throat cuts a giant cut up my fore arm and three stab wounds on my stomach and was bleeding out would I have gone to hell if I died? Honestly while I believe he understands what we go through and has mercy for such people beyond the veil of death I cannot say for certain

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
Well the belief that one goes to hell for taking their own lives isn't even in scripture as far as I know it is in fact a doctrine from the catholic church and their teaching are lets say abnormal
When I attempted suicide in december I nearly died and all I could do was ask him to please have mercy and hope that I could rest in grace I should have died I had several throat cuts a giant cut up my fore arm and three stab wounds on my stomach and was bleeding out would I have gone to hell if I died? Honestly while I believe he understands what we go through and has mercy for such people beyond the veil of death I cannot say for certain
You must have been through such a horrific time :( I am so sorry.

We can all put on a brave face online, but I really want to say thanks.
That’s a big thanks too, for making yourself vulnerable and transparent and allowing others to see the battle you have been through and yet here you are still, being used to encourage others Despite it all! It reminds me that the Lord can use any of us if we are His, regardless of how weak we feel.

You help us to know it is normal to have rubbish days and none of us are alone in our battles or our suffering.

Life can be a nightmare sometimes but I am so glad the Lord kept you here, He intends for you to fulfil whatever He has for you now and in the future clearly. So easy to reel off scriptures when we aren’t in your shoes, praying this year proves to be a better one for you.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Does God forgive Christians who commit suicide?
It's not black and white, God knows the heart and it comes down to the motive. Jesus gave His life unselfishly and many suicides have been unselfishly motivated but i will not judge any case because only God knows.

Aug 14, 2019
Suicide is damnable but God doesn't reveal who's damned. NO telling what can happen in a person's last moments.
I'm sure if the person would receive salvific grace God is giving it.

Suicide historically is different than suicide today imo.

Suicide in our times happens when a person isn't in their right mind. They are usually suffering from an acute organic chemical imbalance. Their will is captive to powerful emotional stress. They are not in their right mind. It's possible that they are not culpable at all.

We must entrust them to the mercy of God.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
You must have been through such a horrific time :( I am so sorry.

We can all put on a brave face online, but I really want to say thanks.
That’s a big thanks too, for making yourself vulnerable and transparent and allowing others to see the battle you have been through and yet here you are still, being used to encourage others Despite it all! It reminds me that the Lord can use any of us if we are His, regardless of how weak we feel.

You help us to know it is normal to have rubbish days and none of us are alone in our battles or our suffering.

Life can be a nightmare sometimes but I am so glad the Lord kept you here, He intends for you to fulfil whatever He has for you now and in the future clearly. So easy to reel off scriptures when we aren’t in your shoes, praying this year proves to be a better one for you.
Well the spiritual attacks have been severe ever since the start of 2020 I became very close to doing it twice before in that year but became so scared I would go through with it I just prayed to God begging him to help me and was filled with this warmth and love but this last time was so bad and sadly my family are pretty good tools for the devil to use against me they are the cause of a lot of my internal issues
However in the emercancy center I met many amazing people and when I was taken to a crises center afterwards he used me greatly in that place I even met this one girl who was in a very abusive relationship and he was the reason she attempted suicide she had no family and only that man and she and I became close and she opened up to me how she has always been told how ugly she is how she is a failure how she is garbage she was a christian and only had God but she also has been under severe attacks

She was at the point where she really believed all these things about her and I told her how I see with different eyes and we had a long discussion abpout God and about her worth and she was in tears afterwards telling me how she had honestly given up on life and that there could be any good people but that I made her believe there is beauty in the world and that there are beautiful people.

in a way what happened to me was a blessing in disguise if I had never tried to kill myself I never would have met her and had God use me in such a way

B

Blackpowderduelist

you could ask Judas ...

I would have to say "no"
Judas wasn't a believer. Jesus said, that he chose all 12 yet one is a devil.

Silverwings

Jul 27, 2016
Blain I am so sorry to hear this. has things changed since then? Did you get counseling? You mentioned that your family were against your being a Christian, I think you live with them is this so? Maybe it is time to make different living arrangements?

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
Blain-It is indeed a mystery how God uses suffering to bring us to a point where we really can see what matters. I know in my life that my priorities were often out of whack and God allowed some painful moments to rearrange my priorities back to where they should have been to start with.

I lost my Dad to suicide, lost a son, nearly lost a grandson to cancer. Today I can look back in hindsight and see Gods loving hands guide my family through the suffering. Many want to avoid any type of suffering, but thats where real faith is tested, and God’s love is revealed.