Does God have a gender?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 13, 2014
15
0
0
[h=1]What is God's gender?[/h]
by Matt Slick
God does not have a gender. He is neither male nor female. Gender is a biological characteristic, and God is not a biological being. God is spirit (John 4:24), and spirit does not have flesh and blood (Luke 24:39). However, in the Bible God is always referred to in the masculine. This is most probably because of how God "the Father" relates to Jesus, who is the Son of God. He was born a male, and in the biblical culture the male is the one who represents his descendants (1 Cor. 15:22) and has the authority in the family (Gen. 27:1-29; 48:13-14). When Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden, Eve sinned first; but sin entered the world through Adam (Romans 5:12). This means it was the man Adam who possessed representative authority--not Eve. This phenomena is called Federal Headship. Jesus likewise possesses representative authority since he was, and still is, a man (1 Cor. 15:22) who is God in flesh (John 1:1, 14; Col. 2:9). Since we have an issue of authority in discussion related to gender, it makes sense to say that we would have God the Father and not God the mother since the male gender, biblically, represents authority.

SO what do you think? has anyone studied this particular subject by chance?





 
​Jesus was a man..God is/was Jesus in human form, so obviously God is a male deity also. We don't pray to our mother..lol :)
 
These are just my thoughts no authority at all but I always took comfort in the thought of God the Father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit as a female entity making it a family unit of three....makes me feel comfortable and I could totally be wrong, but it feels like a complete family unit to me. Holy Spirit has been the best teacher I ever had and moms do a lot of teaching in a family unit....Again just my thoughts and have nothing to back it up as truth. As I don't believe there is anything that says a gender about the Holy Spirit I could be wrong and would admit it if I am.
 
JesusLives;bt12298 said:
These are just my thoughts no authority at all but I always took comfort in the thought of God the Father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit as a female entity making it a family unit of three....makes me feel comfortable and I could totally be wrong, but it feels like a complete family unit to me. Holy Spirit has been the best teacher I ever had and moms do a lot of teaching in a family unit....Again just my thoughts and have nothing to back it up as truth. As I don't believe there is anything that says a gender about the Holy Spirit I could be wrong and would admit it if I am.


no its perfectly normal to feel that GOD (Father, JESUS, HS) is all three entities in one-they are even child like in ways, the utmost in authority (male) and have female characteristics as well, after all we were created in their image.
as you can read here it says US in Genesis- meaning all 3 persons of GOD-
Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." 27God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."… SO yea a family unit is exactly what they are--our example of the perfect family actually in all emotions and attributes of humanism, and SO MUCH MORE!!!
thanks for replying--I enjoyed your comment BROTHER! GBU