Does God want radical Christians?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
I remember a youth president years ago saying that

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
well I , guess that would depend on how one defines radical.......

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Jesus was not a radical. He is the prince of peace.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Matthew 5:9

Dec 15, 2016
Can you define radical christian for me?because that could be many things

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I remember a Twilight Zone episode where everyone was made to look the same and you had to conform to the world's standards... sometimes I envision a future world like that, where no aberrations from the norm are acceptable, and Christianity is certainly an aberration by worldly standards... proclaiming the living Lord would be a radical statement in such a world. Some places where they have less freedoms than we do, it already is...

Feb 7, 2015
Jesus was not a radical. He is the prince of peace.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Matthew 5:9
Jesus was, without a doubt, the most wildly unorthodox and radical person the Pharisees and members of the Sanhedrin ever had to deal with in their entire lives.

Nov 14, 2016

slave

Mar 20, 2015
"Radical'' is one of those words that's thrown around so casually now that it's lost nearly all of its force and its distinctive meaning. In general use, it is close to a synonym of "good''. But its true meaning is to do with the concept of a root. A radical change is one that comes from the root; a radical politician is one who wants to change the roots of the political system; and a radical Christian is one whose roots are in Christ.

So the key question for us is this: what is the root of our lives? What does everything else grow from?
Paul draws out the importance of our root in the letter to the Colossians:

"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.." (Colossians 2:6-7).

And Jesus describes it in the parable of the sower:

Jesus told them many things in parables, saying: "A farmer went out to sow his seed... Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root.''

Listen then to what the parable of the sower means:

"The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away.'' (Matthew 13:3; 5-6; 18, 20-21).

For us, as for plants, every aspect of our health and growth is determined by the nourishment we get from our root. A plant with no root will die, and a Christian whose root is not in Christ will find his faith dying. It is as simple as that.

A radical Christian hears the radical call of Jesus and obeys, not because he manages to persuade himself that it's the best thing, or out of a sense of duty, but because his root is in Christ and so following the call is the obvious, natural thing to do.

The call of Jesus is as demanding to us to today as it was to his first disciples two thousand years ago:

Jesus said to his disciples,"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." (Matthew 16:24).' ... That is radical!

I want to be clear that being radical, in this biblical sense, is very different from being weird. Or in being diametrically opposing in personality at all to God's demeanor; for Satan has his own brand of radical.

Christians come across as weird when they're trying too hard to be something they're not, to force themselves into a spiritual or cultural mould that doesn't fit their real identity. But being radical means nothing more or less than being true to the identity that God has given us. At times that is being still - radically still! Other times it is being forthright in God's commission to be loyal to His Word wrapped always in genuine unconditional Agape love.

Last edited:
F

FeedtheMachine

Yes He does. Radical in the sense that Christians should act and live according to the teachings of Jesus...

B

BeyondET

[video=youtube;2Xuueb1nSfc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xuueb1nSfc[/video]

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
I WANT to be a radical Christian. I want to love radically as He commands us, I want to stand for His truth radically even when it's hard, I want others to be able to see that I am radically different than this world, I want them to know the reason for this new radical nature He placed in me. When He saved me there was a radical change in me from the inside out, and His power continues to guide me in this new radical nature.

The thing that even makes this a question, is that society has attached this word to Islam, now all of a sudden it's a bad thing to be a "religious radical". What makes it a good or bad thing are the actual teachings, and to radically follow Jesus is a VERY GOOD thing, while to radically follow allah is a very bad thing. That's why when a "Christian" (basically a white American male) blows up and abortion clinic he is being a BAD christian, and when a "Muslim" will not fight and infidel he is being a bad Muslim. This is a hard truth for some to swallow I know, but sometimes the truth really stings, heck they crucified our radical savior for speaking it, praise His mighty name.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
It's funny, for the first time in a while this weekend I was super inspired to write again and the first thing I wrote was

I want to be a Jesus extremist,
They put Christians on top of our own government terrorist list,
even before the Muslims as the most dangerous.
In a way though I must admit, I can agree with it,
His message it still still stabs men to the core,
What do you think we crucified Him for?
He loved us hardcore, enough to die for us and take our punishment,
Give us His righteousness so He could empower us to love everyone more.

I didn't want to post the whole thing, but thought it was relevant to this thread and can't see it as anything else but a "God thing" that this was the first thread I visited this week. Also I know it seems I am constantly stuck on this "Muslim thing", and I have to admit I feel it is a HUGE issue we are going to be facing for the foreseeable future and God has put it on my heart to study up on it thoroughly, but I want to make very clear that I LOVE the Muslim people and want to point them all to Jesus, it's Islam I have the problem with, and I even dare to say I hate.

slave

Mar 20, 2015
I WANT to be a radical Christian. I want to love radically as He commands us, I want to stand for His truth radically even when it's hard, I want others to be able to see that I am radically different than this world, I want them to know the reason for this new radical nature He placed in me. When He saved me there was a radical change in me from the inside out, and His power continues to guide me in this new radical nature.

The thing that even makes this a question, is that society has attached this word to Islam, now all of a sudden it's a bad thing to be a "religious radical". What makes it a good or bad thing are the actual teachings, and to radically follow Jesus is a VERY GOOD thing, while to radically follow allah is a very bad thing. That's why when a "Christian" (basically a white American male) blows up and abortion clinic he is being a BAD christian, and when a "Muslim" will not fight and infidel he is being a bad Muslim. This is a hard truth for some to swallow I know, but sometimes the truth really stings, heck they crucified our radical savior for speaking it, praise His mighty name.
In essence we want to be abandon to Christ!

T

Tinuviel

rad·i·cal
ˈradək(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: radical

(especially of change or action) relating to or affecting the fundamental nature of something; far-reaching or thorough.
    "a radical overhaul of the existing regulatory framework"
    [TABLE="class: vk_tbl vk_gy"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: lr_dct_nyms_ttl"]synonyms:[/TD]
    [TD]thoroughgoing, thorough, complete, total, comprehensive, exhaustive, sweeping, far-reaching, wide-ranging, extensive, across the board, profound, major, stringent, rigorous "radical reform"

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD="class: lr_dct_nyms_ttl"]antonyms:[/TD]
    [TD]superficial[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    • forming an inherent or fundamental part of the nature of someone or something.
      "the assumption of radical differences between the mental attributes of literate and nonliterate peoples"
      [TR]
      [TD]fundamental, basic, essential, quintessential; Morestructural, deep-seated, intrinsic, organic, constitutive
      "radical differences between the two theories"

[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]

[TR]
      [TD]minor[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]
    • (of surgery or medical treatment) thorough and intended to be completely curative.
    • characterized by departure from tradition; innovative or progressive.
      "a radical approach to electoral reform"

advocating or based on thorough or complete political or social change; representing or supporting an extreme or progressive section of a political party.
    "a radical American activist"
    [TR]
    [TD]revolutionary, progressive, reformist, revisionist, progressivist; Moreextreme, extremist, fanatical, militant, diehard, hard-core
    "a radical political movement"

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]reactionary, moderate, conservative [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
[TD]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
......................................................Yes.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
rad·i·cal
ˈradək(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: radical

(especially of change or action) relating to or affecting the fundamental nature of something; far-reaching or thorough.
    "a radical overhaul of the existing regulatory framework"
    [TR]
    [TD]thoroughgoing, thorough, complete, total, comprehensive, exhaustive, sweeping, far-reaching, wide-ranging, extensive, across the board, profound, major, stringent, rigorous "radical reform"[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]superficial[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    • forming an inherent or fundamental part of the nature of someone or something.
      "the assumption of radical differences between the mental attributes of literate and nonliterate peoples"
      [TR]
      [TD]fundamental, basic, essential, quintessential; Morestructural, deep-seated, intrinsic, organic, constitutive
      "radical differences between the two theories"
      [/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]

[TR]
      [TD]minor[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]
    • (of surgery or medical treatment) thorough and intended to be completely curative.
    • characterized by departure from tradition; innovative or progressive.
      "a radical approach to electoral reform"
    advocating or based on thorough or complete political or social change; representing or supporting an extreme or progressive section of a political party.
    "a radical American activist"
    [TR]
    [TD]revolutionary, progressive, reformist, revisionist, progressivist; Moreextreme, extremist, fanatical, militant, diehard, hard-core
    "a radical political movement"
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]reactionary, moderate, conservative[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
......................................................Yes.
Their #1 definition is what an innovator is, not a radical..... What defines a radical is the fact that it spreads radical ideas, not just new ideas. A radical idea is one that is regarded as absurd or ridiculous due to its brazenly drastic departure from the norm.

Now here's a definition from an old reliable dictionary (Merriam-Webster):

1. 3a : very different from the usual or traditional : extremeb : favoring extreme changes in existing views, habits, conditions, or institutionsc : associated with political views, practices, and policies of extreme changed : advocating extreme measures to retain or restore a political state of affairs the radical right

Feb 28, 2016
It's funny, for the first time in a while this weekend I was super inspired to write again and the first thing I wrote was

I want to be a Jesus extremist,
They put Christians on top of our own government terrorist list,
even before the Muslims as the most dangerous.
In a way though I must admit, I can agree with it,
His message it still still stabs men to the core,
What do you think we crucified Him for?
He loved us hardcore, enough to die for us and take our punishment,
Give us His righteousness so He could empower us to love everyone more.

I didn't want to post the whole thing, but thought it was relevant to this thread and can't see it as anything else but a "God thing" that this was the first thread I visited this week. Also I know it seems I am constantly stuck on this "Muslim thing", and I have to admit I feel it is a HUGE issue we are going to be facing for the foreseeable future and God has put it on my heart to study up on it thoroughly, but I want to make very clear that I LOVE the Muslim people and want to point them all to Jesus, it's Islam I have the problem with, and I even dare to say I hate.
===================================================

there's no 'co-incidence' in our lives, when we Love/Serve our Holy Saviour...Jim, we rejoice with you...

we do 'whatever God 'requires', no matter how it may appear to the world; did not
Isaiah walk for several years naked and barefoot'?

P

princessmagical

He wants us to be on fire for Him or not for Him at all. Not lukwarm. Revelation mentions about being lukewarm. While we are not to be hateful and condemning, we also are not to compromise on His truth. We are to put Jesus first in ALL areas of our life and pray for people and share truth in love.

Feb 7, 2015
He wants us to be on fire for Him or not for Him at all. Not lukwarm. Revelation mentions about being lukewarm. While we are not to be hateful and condemning, we also are not to compromise on His truth. We are to put Jesus first in ALL areas of our life and pray for people and share truth in love.
You honestly don't know what Rev. 3:16-18 was actually talking about, do you? You really, think God wants us dull and dead?