Does Romans 6:3-4 teach water baptism?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Seddrik

May 29, 2023
romans 6 has nothing to do with water baptism

It has everything to do with the HS baptizing us into Christ.

once again, we need to look at the defenition of the greek word. Not the english word. to find what is being said..
What baptism did Paul teach in Romans 6?
into Christ, into His death, buried with Him, unto newness of life (pardon, forgiveness)

Paul said there is one baptism Eph4:4
Pauls said that baltism/immersion is in water Eph5:25-27
based on Christs sacrifice, its when a person is cleansed/sanctified (pardoned), and made a part of His body, the unblemished church

There is no other NT command that involves water and pardon by faith.

while many today have been raised on the idea that immersion is a “work of merit”,
Col2:12 says the baptism is “by faith in the working of God”

therefore, when a person is scripturally baptized (i.e. believing in Jesus, immersed to be saved Mark 16:16) it is faith in what God provides, not a declaration of self accomplishment.

Seddrik

May 29, 2023
Interesting, no critic has yet answered this great question - I wonder why not?:

There is only, Today, Under God's Amazing Grace, Only:

Unless God Gave me erroneous 'math,' I still do not see two, do you?
I see only one baptism commanded & in authority today.

Eph 4:5 says there is one
Eph5:26 says that it is water by faith in the word

HS baptism was limited to two occasions
Acts 2 & Acts 10
each are explained as proving something man cannot see
Acts 2 Peter said this proved salvation is available through Jesus & proved Jesus is at Gods right hand
Acts 10 Peter said this was proof that Gentiles can be saved By faith, just like the Jews (acts10-11j

also, Peter in Acts 11:15 compares the event of Acts to to Acts 2. Outside of Acts 2 & 10, we only see the HS‘s gifts passed on by means of the apostles hands Acts 8:18.

so HS baptism wasnt universal, and is never said to be “into Christ” “into His death” or “for remission of sins” And is never commanded.

water baptism is into Christ, into His death, to be saved, commanded and is for all nations.

HS baptism was a supernatural act.

water baptism is submission by man to God, it is our surrender, it is trusting in Gods work Col 2:12

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
1. You will not find any indication that the Church (capital C) was already in existence when Christ and His disciples were present together before His crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension.
before and after the law came

Brother I agree with what your saying but if you look really closely he was there and so was the potential church in the wilderness but something happened then that still happens now people reject his words and worship other images of god

This actually happened first which led to what you’re saying there ( which again I’m not disagreeing at all with you I’m just saying before hat was true , the church was going to be set up , Jesus was there with ten thousand saints on the Mount but they broke the covenant and God then reacted

“This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet ( in the future Jesus ) shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.

This is he, ( Moses ) that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us: to whom our fathers would not obey, but thrust him from them, and in their hearts turned back again into Egypt, saying unto Aaron, Make us gods to go before us: for as for this Moses, which brought us out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.

And they made a calf in those days, and offered sacrifice unto the idol, and rejoiced in the works of their own hands. Then God turned, and gave them up to worship the host of heaven;( this actually happened he promised to send Christ later and he left them with an angel and Moses and observed and spoke to the angel who spoke to Moses who spoke to the people who all said “ we will obey everything you tell us it changed when they worshipped the calf is my point )

as it is written in the book of the prophets, O ye house of Israel, have ye offered to me slain beasts and sacrifices By the space of forty years in the wilderness? ( question ) Yea, ye took up the tabernacle of Moloch, And the star of your god Remphan, Figures which ye made to worship them: And I will carry you away beyond Babylon.”( the prophets answer )
‭‭Acts‬ ‭7:37-43‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The sequence of events is God honoring their requests because they are so afraid of his presence “ don’t let him speak to us anymore Moses , you go talk with him , then come back down and we’ll all do whatever he says to do but whatever you do please do t let him talk anymore to us we’ll die for sure if he does “

“Now therefore why should we die? for this great fire will consume us: if we hear the voice of the LORD our God any more, then we shall die.

For who is there of all flesh, that hath heard the voice of the living God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as we have, and lived?

Go thou ( Moses ) near, and hear all that the LORD our God shall say: and speak thou unto us all that the LORD our God shall speak unto thee; and we will hear it, and do it.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭5:25-27‬ ‭KJV‬‬

and so God says “ very well that’s fair I won’t speak to them anymore I’ll speak to you Moses and then you will lead and rule over the people as judge and lead them to the promised land I promised Abram , and I will go with you I’ll come later and speak to them through this other prophet in the future

Gods responding to what they wanted

according to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not.

And the LORD said unto me, ( Moses ) They have well spoken that which they have spoken. I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.( see peters sermon in acts chapter 3:22- end and John chapter 12: 49-51 it’s a reference to Jesus and his words) And it shall come to pass, (in the future) that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭18:16-19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

So then Moses goes up to get the written law from God for them and while he’s receiving it the people create a golden calf by Aaron the high priest of God by the laws hands and bow to it worshipping it sayong “ this is our god Israel that saved us from Egypt , “then they had a celebration and dances naked around it in pagan worship

This didn’t set well with God after what he’s done to prove them his reality and faith towards them it was the first commandment he just had spoken which they all agreed to obey fully (See the first commandment he spoke in chapter 20 of exodus )

at that point when they did that like it says his response was to tell Moses “ get away from me moses I’m going to destroy them all consume them and begin again with just you “

“And the LORD said unto Moses, Go, get thee down; for thy people, ( not my people but your people ) which thou broughtest out of the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves: they have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt. And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people: now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭32:7-10‬ ‭KJV‬‬

But Moses then intercededs goes and judges the people slaughtering 3000 of them by the priests hands and emplores God to spare them and God relents ( read through v 29)

but things changed now he doesn’t just say okay I forgive them Moses he says this instead of “ I will Go with you and be your god like before they did that “

moses intercedes for them and look at what God said then

“Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin–; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written. And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.

Therefore now go, lead the people unto the place of which I have spoken unto thee: behold, mine Angel shall go before thee:

nevertheless in the day when I visit I will visit their sin upon them. And the LORD plagued the people, because they made the calf, which Aaron made.”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭32:32-35‬ ‭KJV‬‬

now see God has done this which is what stephens pointnis and Paul’s later because of their sin

“they made a calf in those days, and offered sacrifice unto the idol, and rejoiced in the works of their own hands. Then God turned, and gave them up to worship the host of heaven;”

he set an angel over them at that point because they chose a false god and broke his covenant

“Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared. Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him.”( because of what they did )
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭23:20-21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The law is like it is because of that but my point is the church was in the beginning and after the law the law is based on this so it’s not the church like your saying

“Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions,

till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

pauls talking about whatbhaopened like Stephen was also showing us that when they chose a false god and worshipped it goving it gods glory that’s what shapes the laws unforgiving dispostion it provoked Gods wrath upon them so he set an unforgiving angel over the law and let Moses a hard man make the judgements of “his “people

I hope you understand why I said this and that it’s not a disagreement but just a consideration of how to see the law and to look not only after it for Jesus but before it came after that transgression of the first commandment

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
This is he, ( Moses ) that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers
That should have been translated as "congregation" not "church". Aaron and all of Israel were worshipping the Golden Calf while Moses was on Mt Sinai. That was idolatry (plus fornication). So how in the world could an idolatrous bunch of rebels be called "the church"? That was definitely a mistranslation.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
That should have been translated as "congregation" not "church". Aaron and all of Israel were worshipping the Golden Calf while Moses was on Mt Sinai. That was idolatry (plus fornication). So how in the world could an idolatrous bunch of rebels be called "the church"? That was definitely a mistranslation.
Yeah, Israel was an assembly/congregation in the wilderness. They are different to the NT church.

And I mean church not as in all redeemed but a local church.

I believe all redeemed won't be a church till the New Jerusalem is formed.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Yeah, Israel was an assembly/congregation in the wilderness. They are different to the NT church.
And when you consider that God was prepared to WIPE OUT THAT WHOLE BUNCH, how could the translators fail to see their mistranslation?

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
And when you consider that God was prepared to WIPE OUT THAT WHOLE BUNCH, how could the translators fail to see their mistranslation?
Yeah.. well.. to keep the Episcopalian/Church of England beliefs.. I think they did a few interesting things with translation. Bibles before king Jimmy had congregation or assembly for 'church'. It made it clearer.

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
Why bring up John the Baptist as a red herring when that has nothing to do with Christian baptism? Also the baptism commanded by Jesus was no different than the baptism commanded by Peter for the household of Cornelius.

Then you falsely claim that Romans 6 has nothing to do with water baptism. But all one has to do is meditate upon these two verses -- Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection -- to see that you trying to dodge the plain meaning of Scripture.

How does water baptism symbolize death? When a person is baptized they are IMMERSED UNDER WATER! That is a symbolic burial. Then they are raised up out of the water. So Romans 6 has everything to do with Christian baptism. Indeed that passage presents the spiritual significance of baptism!

You have been promoting the false doctrine of the Hyper-Calvinists that Christian baptism is no longer valid, no longer necessary, and not a commandment to the new believer. That is COMPLETELY FALSE and also heretical. It is just as bad as claiming supernatural power for the water of baptism.
You are wrong as usual. No water in romans6. The bible does not teach baptismal regeneration.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Does Romans 6:3-4 teach water baptism?

Nothing inherently wrong with water baptism... or foot washing or head covering or holy kissing or communion or any other ordinance, sacrament, or ritual, so long as they are kept in their proper place. None are salvational. All come after as symbolic acts of remembrance. We are here to point people to Jesus, not our own favorite "-ism" with its own distinctives and traditions. The Gospel concerns Salvation, and that should be our main focus as well.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
You are wrong as usual. No water in romans6. The bible does not teach baptismal regeneration.
Since I am TOTALLY AGAINST baptismal regeneration, you did not even read my posts. Just tried to get in a dig and displayed your ignorance.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Weeell.. baptism... It's got so many different takes with different denominations.

Context is key.

Think about the difference between a group of believers being empowered by the Holy Spirit..

Individual salvation.

And then baptism.

See how they are separated out in scripture.

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
Since I am TOTALLY AGAINST baptismal regeneration, you did not even read my posts. Just tried to get in a dig and displayed your ignorance.
You do not understand the baptism in romans6

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
romans 6 has nothing to do with water baptism

It has everything to do with the HS baptizing us into Christ.

once again, we need to look at the defenition of the greek word. Not the english word. to find what is being said..
Somewhere along the way, a bait and switch scheme has been employed and water has acquired a monopoly? on the qualifications for baptism in spite of the reality that fire baptism is preferable even by John's own admission> I baptize you with water but He will baptize you with fire..." and indeed, Jesus baptized many... But the practice of being voluntarily immersed in actual fire is yet to be adopted.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
on the qualifications for baptism in spite of the reality that fire baptism is preferable even by John's own admission> I baptize you with water but He will baptize you with fire..."
Actually if you take the total context of what John was saying, he was speaking about the "unquenchable" fire of Hell (in order to burn up the spiritual "chaff"). This was "the wrath to come". That fire had nothing to do with Christians. Please note carefully:

And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees [judgment]: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. [judgment]

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost [if you believe on Him], and with fire [if you reject Him]:

Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor [judgment], and gather his wheat into the garner [salvation]; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire. [damnation]

There are many who read this passage superficially and assume that the fire is something beneficial, when it is a warning to the unbelievers. Therefore John also said this: But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
In regards to Romans 6:3-4, as Greek scholar AT Robertson explains - Baptism is the public proclamation of one's inward spiritual relation to Christ attained before the baptism. See on "Galatians 3:27" where it is like putting on an outward garment or uniform. Into his death (ei ton qanaton autou). So here "unto his death," "in relation to his death," which relation Paul proceeds to explain by the symbolism of the ordinance. The picture in baptism points two ways, backwards to Christ's death and burial and to our death to sin, forward to Christ's resurrection from the dead and to our new life pledged by the coming out of the watery grave to walk on the other side of the baptismal grave. There is the further picture of our own resurrection from the grave. It is a tragedy that Paul's majestic picture here has been so blurred by controversy that some refuse to see it. It should be said also that a symbol is not the reality, but the picture of the reality.

https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/eng/rwp/romans-6.html

Before mentioning baptism in chapter 6, Paul had repeatedly emphasized that faith (not baptism) is the instrumental cause of salvation/justification. (Romans 1:16, 3:22-30; 4:4-6, 13; 5:1) That is when the old man was put to death and united in the likeness of His death, which water baptism symbolizes and pictures. Righteousness is "imputed to us who believe in Him who raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead, who was delivered up because of our offenses, and was raised up because of our justification." (Romans 4:24,25)

Since believers receive the benefits of Christ’s death and resurrection (justification) and that through faith, believers must be spiritually united to Him (delivered and raised up with Him). If baptism is taken as the instrumental cause, then Paul contradicts what he had established before, namely that justification is by faith, not baptism. *Hermeneutics. Paul clearly teaches that what is signified in baptism (buried and raised with Christ) actually occurs "through faith." Christians are "buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead" (Colossians 2:12). Justification on account of union in Christ's death, burial and resurrection is brought about "through faith" - and is properly symbolized by dipping the new believer in and out of the water.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Actually if you take the total context of what John was saying, he was speaking about the "unquenchable" fire of Hell (in order to burn up the spiritual "chaff"). This was "the wrath to come". That fire had nothing to do with Christians. Please note carefully:

And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees [judgment]: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. [judgment]

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost [if you believe on Him], and with fire [if you reject Him]:

Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor [judgment], and gather his wheat into the garner [salvation]; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire. [damnation]

There are many who read this passage superficially and assume that the fire is something beneficial, when it is a warning to the unbelievers. Therefore John also said this: But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Your assertions may well be the correct interpretation of it but my point still remains that baptism doesn't necessarily default to a reference to water whenever mentioned.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
the practice of being voluntarily immersed in actual fire is yet to be adopted.
In which case, theologically speaking of symbolism, would that then be for this?:

Rom_6:6 "Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with Him..."

I have seen no one address "the symbolism" for this, although I think there are some South American countries that have rituals of "carrying crosses and self inflictions." Are they then showing "symbolism for crucifixion" (baptism of fire)?

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
oh I see…..

“Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; and were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; and did all eat the same spiritual meat; and did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.

Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭10:1-6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

when your saying they were idolatrous and adulterous and everything that’s absolutely correct , that’s why they were destroyed and never reached the promised land until that entire generation died off even Moses and Aaron never reached the land

I’m talking about before the law brother ( before israel worshipped the calf and were handed to the angel before that part )

like as in Abraham’s day when the gospel was preached before the law which came 430 years after for sin

The church are the people of faith like Abraham who lives and died before the law he lives as having a personal relationship with God he called Abraham a friend

“And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:8-9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

what my point is isn’t that the church was the group under the law led by Moses , but that before that transgression God was already constructing the church with men like Abraham , Noah before him enoch before him Seth before him ect before the law is the gospel and that’s what creates the church , Gods children in the body of his son filled with his spirit

The gospel of the kingdom is about that same kingdom of Abraham Isaac and Jacob ,

but the law isn’t about that kingdom it’s about the land of Israel promised to Abram the Hebrew and governed by Moses law of that land

Anyways was just to evoke consideration brother because you have some depth to some issues that you grasp pretty well I was just trying to evoke a pattern of thought to consider regarding the law and how without it the church was always there and even looking at the law we see the church in a pattern like the scripture quotes about them also drinking of his spirit and partaking of the spiritual meat of the Passover lamb Jesus

I don’t think you understood the reasoning of what I was trying to say I sort of agree with what you were saying I was just trying to offer a consideration for you because you have a good grasp of some things d I was thinking you might consider but I probably didn’t say what I was saying right I’m not the best communicator