Does the ascension of Christ implies a flat earth?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
Christ was ascending up from the middle east area into the sky until a cloud took him from people's sight.

If we imagine a flat earth with a dome and heavens above it, then Christ simply ascended into heavens.

If we imagine a 21st century view of our constantly orbiting planet in the solar system inside the milky way inside the universe, such ascending up has what meaning? The heaven of God is not "up" from us. If you do not believe that Christ has his throne in our sun or some similar "cosmic" theology.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The heaven of God is not "up" from us. If you do not believe that Christ has his throne in our sun or some similar "cosmic" theology.
1. The ascension of Christ has nothing to do with a flat earth. The title of your thread is pointless and meaningless.

2. God's Heaven is well above and beyond outer space. So what gives you the authority to claim that it is not "up" from us, since the Bible tells us over and over again that it is so?

3. The sun is simply one of the heavenly bodies. So what does it have to do with the ascension of Christ or the throne of Christ? Nobody believes any such nonsense.

Looks to me like you have started a started which has nothing profitable in it. You might be better of to have it deleted.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
Christ was ascending up from the middle east area into the sky until a cloud took him from people's sight.

If we imagine a flat earth with a dome and heavens above it, then Christ simply ascended into heavens.

If we imagine a 21st century view of our constantly orbiting planet in the solar system inside the milky way inside the universe, such ascending up has what meaning? The heaven of God is not "up" from us. If you do not believe that Christ has his throne in our sun or some similar "cosmic" theology.
Call me crazy but im still open to a flat earth model.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013

This thread is not worthy of your intellect.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
So, does anybody have some answer what is the purpose of physical ascension of Christ, instead of talking about my intelect, posting memes and emoticons?

Thanks.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
It does not matter to me if the earth is flat , globe or square , but what has boggled my mind is how can I see the moon and the sun in the morning or evening out off my bedroom window , I mean with my eyes they look 100s of feet apart , just enquiring :unsure:...I can see both at the same time , how is that when Australia is underneath us? , genuine question...xox...

7seasrekeyed

So, does anybody have some answer what is the purpose of physical ascension of Christ, instead of talking about my intelect, posting memes and emoticons?

Thanks.

nope

dissa all I gotz

and you're welcome

Sep 20, 2018

Matthew 12:40 - "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Ephesians 4:8-10 - "Therefore He says:

“When He ascended on high,
He led captivity captive,
And gave gifts to men.”

(Now this, “He ascended”—what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth? He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)

When Jesus died, His soul went to Hell, which according to these verses, is in the center of the Earth. He didn't go to the suffering side of Hell (Hades), but went to Abraham's Bosom, where the righteous dead Old Testament saints (including our First Parents, Adam and Eve) were residing.

So, the Bible does not imply a flat earth cosmology. :cool:

K

Karraster

I don't believe Darwin, don't believe big bang, and I don't buy what NASA tells us. I do believe we have all been deceived, an that he who seeks shall find. The Bible is true.

7seasrekeyed

nuh huh

unlike poor Pluto

but wait........wait...maybe there's hope yet

The long-simmering argument about Pluto's planethood has just flared up again.

For more than 75 years after its 1930 discovery, Pluto was regarded as our solar system's ninth planet — a distant and frigid oddball, to be sure, but a member of Earth's immediate family nonetheless. Then, in 2006, the International Astronomical Union (IAU) reclassified Pluto as a "dwarf planet," a newly created category that the organization explicitly stressed made Pluto distinct from the eight "true" planets.
A true planet, according to the IAU's newly devised definition, must meet three criteria: It must circle the sun and no other object (so, moons are out); it must be big enough to be rounded into a sphere or spheroid by its own gravity, but not so large that its innards host the fusion reactions that power stars; and it must have "cleared its neighborhood" of other orbiting bodies.

source

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
I am asking what sense does the physical and visible ascension up makes in our world view or if it makes sense only in the ancient flat earth view.

I am debating if not only the Old Testament, but the New one also has this kind of cosmology. I am not debating if the earth is really flat or not. I have no problem with mythology in the Bible. What I want to know is if the New Testament also implies flat earth view.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
nuh huh

unlike poor Pluto

but wait........wait...maybe there's hope yet

The long-simmering argument about Pluto's planethood has just flared up again.

For more than 75 years after its 1930 discovery, Pluto was regarded as our solar system's ninth planet — a distant and frigid oddball, to be sure, but a member of Earth's immediate family nonetheless. Then, in 2006, the International Astronomical Union (IAU) reclassified Pluto as a "dwarf planet," a newly created category that the organization explicitly stressed made Pluto distinct from the eight "true" planets.
A true planet, according to the IAU's newly devised definition, must meet three criteria: It must circle the sun and no other object (so, moons are out); it must be big enough to be rounded into a sphere or spheroid by its own gravity, but not so large that its innards host the fusion reactions that power stars; and it must have "cleared its neighborhood" of other orbiting bodies.

source

PLUTO​

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
I have no problem with mythology in the Bible
Better said, I have no problem with a mythological cosmology in the OT and sayings of Job etc.

It would be a more serious problem in the New Testament, therefore my question.