Does the Book of Revelation tell us that those who refuse to take the MARK of the beast will be killed?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 29, 2018
Does the Book of Revelation tell us that those who refuse to take the MARK of the beast will be killed?

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
I believe the Bible tells us that those who will not worship the beast will be killed - and, then - those who are left will be "required" to take the mark.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Yes those who refuse the mark will be killed:

And it was given to him to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast would even speak and cause as many as do not worship the image of the beast to be killed.
(Rev 13:15)

Those who take the mark will be doomed forever...

Then another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. "And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."
(Rev 14:9-11)

But yes, taking the mark and worshipping the beast are inseparable. It must be both.

Jul 23, 2018
Yes and I think rev 20 refers to those executed by the ac

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Yes and I think rev 20 refers to those executed by the ac
Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
(Rev 20:4)

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
there are so many theories about what this mark is. knowing the beast is the key. But it is plainly saying that those that worship the beast or the image of the beast will be sinning and those that don't will be killed by the powers that be.
Dan 12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Rev 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
Rev 13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
Rev 13:18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

666 = six hundred and sixty six. this is the number of the man that stands for the beast.

Rev 13:2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

notice all the kingdoms from Dan 7, pagan empires that taught false teachings about life and God. Who claims to be God today and in Gods name is teaching false doctrines?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Of course. Have ye not read?

And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed. (Rev 13:15)

Worshiping the image and taking the mark are all part of the same evil scheme.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
We shouldn't assume the religion of the beast will have complete, unrestricted control over the whole world, globally.
Influence everywhere yes but not complete control. The prophecies tell us there will be resistance to his reign.
If you believe the bible as a whole you examine all of scripture.

"As many as would not worship the beast" Doesn't have to mean -globally enforced without exception.
The geographical centre of his empire is the focus of these verses. The Middle East.

Jan 12, 2019
I believe the Bible tells us that those who will not worship the beast will be killed - and, then - those who are left will be "required" to take the mark.
So during that period, you need to be willing to be martyred, to be considered saved at the end?

May 29, 2018
GaryA what the Rev.13:15 says "those would not worship the image of the beast to be killed". But you can buy and sell even you are not worshipping the image. What tells here is worshipping the image.

The scriptures did not tell that those who are left behind required to take the mark, but from all walks of life(all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave) will be affected or causes to receive the mark.

Jul 23, 2018
We shouldn't assume the religion of the beast will have complete, unrestricted control over the whole world, globally.
Influence everywhere yes but not complete control. The prophecies tell us there will be resistance to his reign.
If you believe the bible as a whole you examine all of scripture.

"As many as would not worship the beast" Doesn't have to mean -globally enforced without exception.
The geographical centre of his empire is the focus of these verses. The Middle East.
When you see written "every man woman and child ,bond or free,Male and female, all worship the beast"

Combined with "....till the time of the gentiles be complete"....it would to me,indicate world wide.

Jul 23, 2018
Rev 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
Rev 13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
Rev 13:18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

666 = six hundred and sixty six. this is the number of the man that stands for the beast.

Rev 13:2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

notice all the kingdoms from Dan 7, pagan empires that taught false teachings about life and God. Who claims to be God today and in Gods name is teaching false doctrines?
Mohammed

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
When you see written "every man woman and child ,bond or free,Male and female, all worship the beast"

Combined with "....till the time of the gentiles be complete"....it would to me, indicate world wide.
Empire wide may be a more precise reading to reconcile it with the complete picture scripture gives us. Uniform control in every nook & cranny on the planet doesn't reconcile with Daniel & Ezekiel's descriptions of resistance- even the possible military resistance of whole nations.
It is more likely from a complete reading of scripture that some places will be in chaos while others may be be close to normal life. Papua New Guinea may not be suffering the same level of intensity as Iran for example.

Jesus says in Mathew 24
37 For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah.
38 For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage,
until the day that Noah entered the ark,
39 and they did not understand until the flood came and took them all away;

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that OUR OLD MAN is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be DESTROYED, that henceforth we should not serve SIN.
Romans 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Revelation 17:8 ...when they behold the beast that WAS, and IS NOT, and yet is.

Revelation 16:2 And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the MARK of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image.
Ecclesiastes 3:18 I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts.
Genesis 16:12 And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
No buying and selling outside outside of the body of sin, body of this death, and worshiping its image.

4124. pleonexia
Definition: advantage, covetousness
Usage: covetousness, avarice, aggression, desire for advantage
Genesis 3:5 (...) your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”...

Topical Bible: Covetousness
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
1. (n.) Strong desire.
2. (n.) A strong or inordinate desire of obtaining and possessing some supposed good; excessive desire for riches or money; -- in a bad sense.

James 4:13 ...ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get GAIN:
Matthew 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall GAIN the whole world, and lose his own soul? (...)
Nahum 3:16 You have multiplied your merchants more than the stars of heaven. The locust plunders and flies away.
Luke 20:46 Beware of the scribes. They like to walk around in long robes, and they LOVE the greetings in the marketplaces, the chief seats in the synagogues, and the places of honor at banquets.
Matthew 6:5 And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward.
Matthew 6:16 When you fast, do not be somber like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward.
Matthew 6:1 And beware not to do your righteousness before men in order to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward in the presence of your Father in the heavens.
Zephaniah 1:11 Wail, you who live in the market district; all your merchants will be wiped out, all who trade with silver will be destroyed.
Revelation 18:7 As much as she has glorified herself and lived in luxury, give her the same measure of torment and grief. In her heart she says, ‘I sit as queen; I am not a widow and will never see grief.’
Jeremiah 4:30 And you, O devastated one, what will you do, though you dress yourself in scarlet, though you adorn yourself with gold jewelry, though you enlarge your eyes with paint? You adorn yourself in vain; your lovers despise you; they want to take your life.
Hosea 2:13 I will punish her for the days of the Baals when she burned incense to them, when she decked herself with rings and jewelry, and went after her lovers. But Me she forgot,” declares the LORD.
John 12:43 For they loved praise from men more than praise from God.
Proverbs 25:27 It is not good to eat too much honey or to search out one’s own glory.
1 Timothy 3:3 not dependent on wine, not violent but gentle, peaceable, and free of the love of money.
Ecclesiastes 5:10
He who loves money is never satisfied by money, and he who loves wealth is never satisfied by income. (...)
Ecclesiastes 5:13 There is a grievous evil I have seen under the sun: wealth hoarded to the harm of its owner,
Isa 46:6
They pour out their bags of gold and weigh out silver on scales; they hire a goldsmith to fashion it into a god, so they can bow down and worship.
Matthew 22:5 But they paid no attention and went away, one to his field, another to his business.
Revelation 18:15 The merchants who sold these things and grew their wealth from her will stand at a distance, in fear of her torment. They will weep and mourn,
Hebrew 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, for God has said: “Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you.”
Luke 22:3-5 And Satan entered into Judas who was called Iscariot, belonging to the number of the twelve. And he went away and discussed with the chief priests and officers how he might betray Him to them. They were glad and agreed to give him money.
Zechariah 11:13 And the LORD said to me, “Throw it to the potter”—this magnificent sum at which they valued Me! So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them to the potter in the Temple of the LORD.
Hebrews 12:6 See to it that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal SOLD his birthright.

acts5_29

Apr 17, 2020
I don't think Revelation says that those who refuse the MoB will be killed--in fact I would say Jesus himself said that some believers would be ALIVE when He returns. However, Revelation says those who refuse the MoB would be unable to buy or sell: which means you are basically economically ostracized, and very likely socially ostracized a lot of the time, as well (Rev. 13:17). There are evil people very literally trying to starve you. Some believers will probably succumb to that, but others make it. In fact, the exact opposite happens later, but not before facing a very tough period of time first: the ones who take the MoB will end up wishing for death, but not find it (Revelation 9:4-6). While those who took the seal of God instead, God provides for.

I actually take it as a challenge: what is YOUR faith level? Are you prepared to lay it all out on the line, and trust God for your next meal, not knowing where it is going to come from? I know I am, but I also know I would really, really prefer not to be faced with that choice.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
So during that period, you need to be willing to be martyred, to be considered saved at the end?
Taking the mark condemns the one taking the mark; not taking the mark does not do the opposite.

One who is truly saved - having the Holy Spirit within - is highly unlikely to take the mark.

If a lost person refuses to take the mark, they will still go to hell and the lake of fire.

Salvation is based on faith/trust in God/Christ.

Having true faith means being willing to die for the Faith.

Jan 12, 2019
Taking the mark condemns the one taking the mark; not taking the mark does not do the opposite.

One who is truly saved - having the Holy Spirit within - is highly unlikely to take the mark.

If a lost person refuses to take the mark, they will still go to hell and the lake of fire.

Salvation is based on faith/trust in God/Christ.

Having true faith means being willing to die for the Faith.
"Being willing to die for the Faith", would you consider that a work?

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
GaryA what the Rev.13:15 says "those would not worship the image of the beast to be killed". But you can buy and sell even you are not worshipping the image. What tells here is worshipping the image.

The scriptures did not tell that those who are left behind required to take the mark, but from all walks of life(all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave) will be affected or causes to receive the mark.
Okay - "my bad" - "the image of the beast" - "good catch"... (y) (Sometimes semantics are very important.)

What exactly do you mean by "left behind"? When I said "who are left" in post #2, I meant those not killed.