Doing your own thing

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019
Do you like being told what to do, or do you expect to be asked.
Or are you happy being self-directed, or rather, inspired.

What are your thoughts, does IQ matter? Can you be too smart?

I like being told what to do if I mess up or ask for help. Learning is a good thing.

I am also very happy to figure things out usually.

Feels very rewarding.

Can I be too smart? Or can someone in general be too smart?

I have never in my life met someone so "smart" it is a problem.

(though I have met people who think very highly of themselves and may claim their lack of ability to hold a meaningful relationship is because they are so "insert random self hype")

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think doing your own thing is kind of good in a lot of professions, like teaching or running your own business, but not so much in a marriage if you are female. If you are male it seems its absolutely fine and expected, but females are always told to submit to males. although some marriages are like ask the boss, which is the wife. She wears the pants type marriage,

I am just used to that kind of marriage that it seems strange to me to think of it in reverse. In my culture its always women who have had the real power and let the men THINK they have it. My mum was eldest in a family of eight siblings, and five of them were daughters first then three sons. You can imagine how that worked, my aunties did everything before their brothers were born. Sons are still highly favoured over daughters though even if they are born last.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think being smart is good but depends what kind of smart. Ive worked in universities where people are professors and geniuses. I respect that but I would have to be able to relate to them rather than have people know a lot of things just for the sake of it. I was often told I was brainy when I was young and other kids would just avoid me but I wasnt trying to show off or anything. I think some meant it in a good way but being labelled brainy didnt really help me that much socially. If you are brainy you get put in a 'brainy' class, get labelled, and then get shunned!

People tend to judge others more on how much money they have than smarts though. You cant avoid that, people ask you what kind of job you do and base their worth on talking to you are respect based on how much they think you earn. I never got used to that kind of thinking but just have to accept thats how people are.

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020
Because intelligence isn’t a predicator for success and most who develop wealth aren’t the brightest or top of their class. They don’t have to be. Their creativity, ingenuity, and risk tolerance is greater than most. And they know how to fail.

They have an owner mindset and develop skills and proficiency in subjects that allow them to earn a profit. Robert Kiyosaki addressed this in Rich Dad, Poor Dad. The story is a hoax but the principle is spot on.

Outliers, The Talent Code, Bounce, Chasing Stars, Flow, and similar titles are good starting points on the subject.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
well...success is a bit of a relative thing as people can define 'success' any way they want. for some people success means being wealthy, others it means being popular...and others it means your character is kind and you are loving.

For God having success really mean that you were doing His will. Cos everything God does is the best way, the right way, the truthful way.

Many people lie and fake their way to the 'top' but...the top of the heap is really the bottom in the upside down Kingdom of Christ. When you humble yourself, He will lift you up. You dont actually need to climb the ladder, if you seek His Kingdom first with all His righteousness, everything will be added unto you.