Don’t stick in your past!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 7, 2017
Don’t stick in your past!

• “My servant Moses is dead. Now, therefore, arise, go over this Jordan, you and all this people to the land which I give to them, to the sons of Israel.” (Joshua 1.2).

One of the things that handicaps us to get at the best of Jesus for us is our penchant for the blessings of the past. Paul warned us about this:

• “My brothers, I do not count myself to have taken possession, but one thing I do, forgetting the things behind and reaching forward to the things before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” (Phil 3.13,14)

What was good in the past doesn’t necessarily will continue to be good today. See the case of Joshua. He should let go of Moses and his doings. The way by which the Creator would go to work in the life of Joshua would be thoroughly offbeat.

The same thing we can see in the life of people of Israel in the times of the King Hezekiah:

• “He removed the high places, and broke the pillars, and cut down the Asherah. And he broke in pieces the bronze serpent which Moses had made; for until those days the sons of Israel burned incense to it. And he called it Nehushtan.” (2Kings 18.4).

People held on to the serpent in such a way that they start to idolize it. In the past this serpent was very useful (Nm 21.8,9). At the time of Hezekiah, he was constrained to obliterate this serpent in order to hold the Israelites down in regards to idolatry.

Finally, have an awesome day in Christ Jesus and don't cling to wonderers that Jesus did for you. This was only the onset. Let go of all this so that you can embrace all the blessings to come in good measure, pressed down and shaken together and running over that shall be given into your bosom (Luke 6.38).