Don't forget the rice!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

psychomom

El arroz con pollo que prepara mi esposa es delicioso.
¿Cómo lo haces? (not entirely sure that's grammatically correct...been a long while since high school!)

Feb 7, 2015
¿Cómo lo haces? (not entirely sure that's grammatically correct...been a long while since high school!)
If I tried to speak High School Spanish, half of Ybor City would laugh me back across the bridge.

N

newlife7

throwing some lime and cilantro in white rice is good too!

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
One of these days, I wanna make some veggie, turkey, and rice stir-fry.. I love rice.. I can make perfect rice and perfect pasta,but whenever I try making stuffing,it's ALWAYS either too dry or too soggy..lol.. :(

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
There you guys go again speaking in tongues.....do we have an interpreter?

Elin

Banned
Jan 19, 2013
One of these days, I wanna make some veggie, turkey, and rice stir-fry.. I love rice.. I can make perfect rice and perfect pasta,but whenever I try making stuffing,it's ALWAYS either too dry or too soggy..lol.. :(
By stuffing, do you mean rice with ground meats, onions, etc.?

Elin

Banned
Jan 19, 2013
no, lol.. I mean the kind of stuffing you put inside a turkey.. :)
Gotcha!

Some folks use a cooked rice dressing, made with rice, ground meat, giblets, onions, bell peppers and celery for turkey stuffing.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
rice is good with alot of things..

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
There you guys go again speaking in tongues.....do we have an interpreter?
Yes, given out or thrown away our spanish dictionary long ago. besides there's no time to translate!

Meant to come back to this thread but been overtaken by all the rest before i could. there are some really nice rice, usually glutinous rice recipes we have here. i realize rice cakes in the west are so different from those in most asian countries like vietnam, etc and here's 1 i like, the local bibingka (from rice flour), aside from those brown rice cakes often cooked w/ brown sugar or brown rice topped w/ some coconut something called latik.
Bibingka - Filipino Coconut Cake from Zestuous

My favorite Filipino dessert by far is Bigingka. It’s a thin, unfrosted cake made with sweet rice flour and cream of coconut.
I first had Bibingka at a Filipino family barbecue when I started dating my husband. My now father-in-law taught me how to make it years ago. Now every time there is a family gathering, either he or I are asked to make it, which says a lot about the recipe because neither one of us are Filipino.
Sweet rice flour has an interesting texture. It’s very fine, but has a bit of grit to it. Once it’s cooked, the starches explode (not really, but they do something magic) and the cake becomes spongy and sticky like a cross between Jell-O bars and pudding.

My father-in-law taught me to use cream of coconut instead of coconut milk. It has more fat, sugar and flavor. He also adds in an undrained can of crushed pineapple for an enhanced tropical flavor.
My only change to his recipe is that I sprinkle the top with brown sugar and granulated sugar to create a nice caramelized crunch.
I hope you journey to the Philippines with your fork and try this unique, yummy dessert.

i thought even the comments were yummy.

Last edited:
H

Hellooo

2015-07-22 22.24.52.jpg

Use leftover rice in a stirfry..

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
rice is good with alot of things..
It is... but we've forgotten the rice thread..! Some things i am finding funny: somewhere i read on yahoo answers was it, abt someone asking if if will hurt/harm her if she took white rice for a while since she was going on trip? It was like here are millions of ppl eating rice daily in some continents and someone thinking its like a prohibited herb to eat=(. Then in my wanderings, i come across white rice's nutrition value: 34% dv for B6, 20% niacin, 95% manganese, and 34% selenium. No wonder God gave so many ppl this much rice to eat everyday=).

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
View attachment 128218

Use leftover rice in a stirfry..
This photo reminded me of something... Here, when we cook rice w/ add ons, or viands like shrimps, for example, the rice far outweighs the add ons. Sis was telling how when our bro tells to cook shrimps for example, if there was a kg of it, they'd add say 200 grams of squash as veggie there... While here, we can have 600, or 800 g of squash, and add 200 g of shrimps-).
But then thats something to be thankful for, for like chinese cuisine, we tend to treat meat as a flavorful condiment, the rice and veggies being the focus of meals. The rice or noodles wc are both good sources of carbohydrates, form the base of a meal.

W

wwjd_kilden

If I have 5- min rice and want something savoury in the evening I just boil rice (with a bit of salt and chilli powder) and pour some soy sauce on top (or add leftovers if there are any in the fridge). Yum

H

Hellooo

This photo reminded me of something... Here, when we cook rice w/ add ons, or viands like shrimps, for example, the rice far outweighs the add ons. Sis was telling how when our bro tells to cook shrimps for example, if there was a kg of it, they'd add say 200 grams of squash as veggie there... While here, we can have 600, or 800 g of squash, and add 200 g of shrimps-).
But then thats something to be thankful for, for like chinese cuisine, we tend to treat meat as a flavorful condiment, the rice and veggies being the focus of meals. The rice or noodles wc are both good sources of carbohydrates, form the base of a meal.
For me it just depends on my mood. I grew up eating rice and beans almost every day, so sometimes I do crave a higher ratio of rice, or to have it as a main dish instead of a side.
I had rice a few evenings ago where I added minced garlic, caramelized leeks and onions, chicken sausage, mushrooms, and diced tomato and it turned out really well. It's such a versatile and inexpensive grain to use in the kitchen.
Bon appetit.

Feb 28, 2016
we are great 'rice' eaters, but only eat 'real' rice...it's an amazing food...

L

LiJo

oh, a regular pot makes rice just fine too....i would give it a few tries that way before shelling out $$ for a cooker.

A rice cooker is not expensive at all. It's well invested because you can also use it as a vegetable steamer. It's so much easer using a rice cooker, you just measure the rice and add water and push a button and it does all the work for you. You can focus on other things and when the buzzer goes off, you have perfect steamed rice. :p