Downcast but not overcome

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair;
persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.
We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.
2 Corinthians 4:8-10

I remember expressing how people where trying to say things to be on-purpose discouraging, to attempt to
break another, to put enough pressure so the snap, and lash out, proving they are not able to cope or take it
and still smile and bless back

What was odd was the observation was "you playing the hard done by card, playing the victim"

When one is hurt and expresses this, it is just saying one is hurt, it is not playing at being hurt.
Jesus wants to hear how we are doing so He can give us support. He provides so much support in the hardest
times He is carrying us. And the thing with an open heart, is it can and does get hurt, but in Christ it is healed
and can get up and walk on. It is the nature of love in Jesus, it is never defeated because of the streams of
living water that flow from the cross, showering and overwhelming us in His love and presence.

I love that Jesus took so much for us, in his sacrifice, because it put our temporary pains into perspective.
I am very weak and could not take what He took, and yet He will bind up my wounds and heal me, because He
is so humble and such a King of love. I sometime wonder how someone as weak as me could become someone
so bold and open, that He could enable me to know rejection at the deepest level, unto death, yet Praise God
that in Him I have enough. Thankyou Jesus, thankyou for this reality and the cross, the shedding of your blood,
the pain of knowing you could have killed all your enemies, but you took the torture and mocking, because those
torturers were me, and those mockers, were me, and still you forgave us, so we could become your friends.

Thank you Jesus we can have a small taste of your suffering, by sharing your words and knowing rejection
and persecution, knowing in you there is great wealth, love and beauty, Amen

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair;
persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.
We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.
2 Corinthians 4:8-10

I remember expressing how people where trying to say things to be on-purpose discouraging, to attempt to
break another, to put enough pressure so the snap, and lash out, proving they are not able to cope or take it
and still smile and bless back

What was odd was the observation was "you playing the hard done by card, playing the victim"

When one is hurt and expresses this, it is just saying one is hurt, it is not playing at being hurt.
Jesus wants to hear how we are doing so He can give us support. He provides so much support in the hardest
times He is carrying us. And the thing with an open heart, is it can and does get hurt, but in Christ it is healed
and can get up and walk on. It is the nature of love in Jesus, it is never defeated because of the streams of
living water that flow from the cross, showering and overwhelming us in His love and presence.

I love that Jesus took so much for us, in his sacrifice, because it put our temporary pains into perspective.
I am very weak and could not take what He took, and yet He will bind up my wounds and heal me, because He
is so humble and such a King of love. I sometime wonder how someone as weak as me could become someone
so bold and open, that He could enable me to know rejection at the deepest level, unto death, yet Praise God
that in Him I have enough. Thankyou Jesus, thankyou for this reality and the cross, the shedding of your blood,
the pain of knowing you could have killed all your enemies, but you took the torture and mocking, because those
torturers were me, and those mockers, were me, and still you forgave us, so we could become your friends.

Thank you Jesus we can have a small taste of your suffering, by sharing your words and knowing rejection
and persecution, knowing in you there is great wealth, love and beauty, Amen
"Thank you for sharing."...:)

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Sooo well said... BAM!!! I agree, tyou for sharing.

Sep 3, 2016
“7 But we have this treasure (the Light of the Gospel) in earthen vessels (man is never more than an earthen vessel, frail and humble), that the excellency of the Power may be of God, and not of us. (Salvation and Victorious Living come to us entirely by and through what Christ did at the Cross. It is all of Christ and none of us.)

8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed (always confident of victory); we are perplexed, but not in despair (never utterly at a loss);

9 Persecuted, but not forsaken (pursued, but not actually caught); cast down, but not destroyed (at times we are knocked down, but not knocked out);”

“10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus (referring to the victory we have through the Cross of Christ), that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. (We live the Resurrection Life by understanding that we have been planted together [Christ and ourselves] in the likeness of His Death [Rom. 6:5].)

11 For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus’ sake (the Holy Spirit delivers us unto the Death of Christ, which guarantees us the benefits of Calvary [Rom. 6:3-5]), that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh. (We have victory by exercising Faith in the Cross, which guarantees us the Life of Christ [Gal. 2:20].)

12 So then death works in us, but life in you. (The “death” Paul speaks of here concerns the Death of Christ at Calvary, and its benefits as played out in his life. He preached this to others, which brought life to them as well.)” 2 Corinthians 4:7-12

JSM

Notice: It is the life of Christ that brings the victory when the Holy Spirit delivers the Believer unto Christ death, burial, and resurrection (Rom. 6:3-5). The LORD (Jehovah) is MY Shepherd; I shall not want. Psalm 23:1

God has chosen to operate His work from the basis of faith. "The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:2) is God's prescribed order of victory for the Believer over sin, the world, the flesh, and the Devil. This means that the Believer must place and maintain proper Faith the size of a mustard seed exclusively in Christ (who He is) and His Finished Work (what He has done), i.e., The Cross, i.e., The Blood of Jesus. Why? Because whatsoever that is not faith is sin. By doing so this enters the Believer into justification and progressive sanctification that gives the Holy Spirit the legal means to keep all commandments and all laws that is impossible for us to do. The Holy Spirit renews the mind when Faith is placed and maintained in Christ and Him Crucified. Why? Because we are now operating in the spirit. The presenting of your body as a living sacrifice and the renewing of the mind is not a Christian discipline nor a work of labor, but an act of Faith to believe only - daily. No Believer can fix the flesh with the flesh. All fruits that are added to the leaves of the Believer most be done by the Holy Spirit or you enter the works of the flesh (Gal. 5:19-21).

The Holy Spirit, He Works strictly within the parameters of the "Finished Work" i.e., "the Cross of Christ", which demands that our Faith be exclusively in the Cross of Christ. The reason is simple, that's were the price was paid, and the victory was forever won (Romans 6:1-14; 1 Cor. 2:2; Gal. 5; Gal. 6:14; Eph. 2:13-18; Col. 2:14-15).

For whatsoever is not of faith is sin. (Romans 14:23)

The Law Of The Spirit Of Life In Christ Jesus gives the Believer victory over the world, the flesh, and the Devil.

Victory over the world: Galatians 6:14 ; 1 John 5:4
Victory over the flesh: Galatians 5:24
Victory over the Devil: Hebrews 2:14 ; Colossians 2:15

How does a Believer maintain faith exclusively in Christ and the Cross? By just believing in Jesus (who He is) and what He accomplished at Calvary Cross. Romans 4:5 - Galatians 2:19-21 NKJV - 1 Corinthians 1:18-25 NKJV - Colossians 2:11-15 NKJV

Sep 3, 2016
“30 A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones. (In this Proverb, the Holy Spirit is portraying to us the secret of good health. A “sound heart” is the heart that is right with God. No envy, jealousy, pride, malice, greed, or hatred abides there. If such abides, we are told it will “rot the bones.”)

JSM

Let not your heart be troubled (John 14:1). The LORD is MY Shepherd; I shall not want. Psalm 23:1

The only way to God is through Jesus Christ (John 14:6)...the only way to Jesus Christ is by the Means of the Cross (Luke 14:27). The only way to the Cross is a denial of self (Luke 9:23). If any person tries to come any other way, Jesus says, "they are a thief and a robber" (John 10:1).

Sep 3, 2016
“8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. (The Apostle knew it was the Lord allowing this, but he didn’t understand why.)

9 And He said unto me (the Lord responded, but did not agree), My Grace is sufficient for you (speaks of enabling Grace, which is really the Goodness of God carried out by the Holy Spirit): for My Strength is made perfect in weakness. (All Believers are weak, but the Lord tends to make us weaker, with the intention being that we then depend solely upon Him, thereby, obtaining His Strength.) Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities (because of the end result), that the Power of Christ may rest upon me. (If Paul needed so humbling and painful an experience of what the carnal nature is, it is evident that all Christians need it. Whatever weakens, belittles, and humiliates that proud and willful nature should be regarded by the Believer as most worthwhile.)

“10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong (then the strength of Christ can be exhibited through me, but only when I know I am weak).” 2 Corinthians 12:8-10

JSM