Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
2Tim 2:3-7 . . No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs--
he wants to please his commanding officer.

A soldier's primary responsibility is to accomplish the mission assigned by
their commanders. They don't give themselves leave to abandon their posts
to go off on their own personal agenda doing other stuff. Desertion and
dereliction of duty are courts martial offenses.

Christian men, ordained to serve Christ as per the epistles of Titus,
1&2Timothy and to some extent 1Peter, have no business involving
themselves in the world's affairs and or using their pulpits for any other
purpose than what Christ expects.

1Tim 4:13 . . Focus on reading the Scriptures to the church, encouraging
the believers, and teaching them.

According to Eph 4:11-15 God gives ministers to the churches for the
express purpose of building them up in the faith, NOT for leading them into
secular causes.

I truly believe that if Dr. Martin Luther King Jr had stayed in church and
complied with the Bible's instructions for ordained Christian ministers as per
the epistles of Titus, 1&2Timothy, and to some extent 1Peter instead of
getting involved in political activism, social justice, and/or civil disobedience,
he could have served Christ another thirty-five years instead of getting
himself assassinated when he was only 39 years old.

Was Dr. King a martyr? Well, if he was, it certainly wasn't in a cause for
Christ. No, it was for a worldly cause. Dr. King marginalized his pastoral
responsibilities. He put duty to the color of his skin first, and duty to Christ
second. That was a very bad move for an ordained Christian minister.

Moral of the story is: nobody is twisting anybody's arm to commit to a
ministry; but once the commitment is made: then they'd do well to hold
fast, stay the course, and not get distracted.

Luke 9:62 . . No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit
for service in the kingdom of God.
_

Feb 28, 2016
is this a joke web???
just a posting from someone who has done their 'home-work' about the 'subject'!!!???

Jun 11, 2020

secular causes.

getting involved in political activism, social justice, and/or civil disobedience,

responsibilities. He put duty to the color of his skin first, and duty to Christ

_
I, for one, maybe the only one, agree with you. Christ's Kingdom is not of this "world". The word "world" is "kosmos" in the Greek. It can mean the creation, or the sandy earth, but its root meaning is "the orderly arrangement of things". And our Lord has asked us Christians not to be part of a "kosmos" that He is not YET. There will come a time for the bloody change of world government at Armageddon, but until then, our job is teaching Christ to fallen men, and building the Church.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
I have heard two radio programs by two different Christian organizations about how Christians should respond to the trouble between the State of Israel and Arab countries.
I disagreed with the way both these organizations determined to handle the problem. They both talked about sitting down with governments to find resolutions, sanctions, military action, etc.
The thing that struck me was, nobody mentioned the gospel. Except for saying that "Christians need to see the Bible from the Jewish perspective", God's word wasn't mentioned at all.

I was stunned, because from the Jewish perspective, Jesus isn't regarded ad the Messiah. I was flabbergasted that nobody talked about how mankind's problems are the result of sin and the solution is faith in Jesus.
I would never theologically or financially support such organizations. To me, these people have lost their minds.
Didnt mean to detract from the OP, but whatever the "social" problem is, it's really a sin problem and Jesus is the answer.

Jun 11, 2020
I have heard two radio programs by two different Christian organizations about how Christians should respond to the trouble between the State of Israel and Arab countries.
I disagreed with the way both these organizations determined to handle the problem. They both talked about sitting down with governments to find resolutions, sanctions, military action, etc.
The thing that struck me was, nobody mentioned the gospel. Except for saying that "Christians need to see the Bible from the Jewish perspective", God's word wasn't mentioned at all.

I was stunned, because from the Jewish perspective, Jesus isn't regarded ad the Messiah. I was flabbergasted that nobody talked about how mankind's problems are the result of sin and the solution is faith in Jesus.
I would never theologically or financially support such organizations. To me, these people have lost their minds.
Didnt mean to detract from the OP, but whatever the "social" problem is, it's really a sin problem and Jesus is the answer.
You inadvertently answered the question. You used the word "organizations". The Body of Christ is a organism. Once men add their plans, ways and philosophies, it becomes an organization - usually devoid of Christ. He is then replaced by a Chairman or a CEO ... and of course a budget.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
he didn't stop preaching in churches. he preached a sermon in a church the day he was murdered.
and when he wasn't in churches, he didn't stop preaching.
he did not view injustice as a '
secular cause'

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
You inadvertently answered the question. You used the word "organizations". The Body of Christ is a organism. Once men add their plans, ways and philosophies, it becomes an organization - usually devoid of Christ. He is then replaced by a Chairman or a CEO ... and of course a budget.
Yes, it's replacing our Lord Jesus and his teachings with other people and their philosophies.
I was talking to someone yesterday who believes in Jesus. She said President Trump is a man of God who has our backs. I told her Jesus is man of God who has our backs. Why not just mention the Lord who can solve all of mankinds problems, whether it's hatred over race, etc?

P

pottersclay

Jesus gave voice to the poor in spirit. To those in bondaged spirituality as well as physically.
Now heres the catch....God gives grace to the humble.
When you put pride and power and self entitlement in your cause you cancel out Gods grace.
I do believe mr. King knew this and he acted on the peace makers side of that teaching.
What he tried to establish has been lost in interpretation.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
To those who stand in awe of martin Luther king, let us remember he was a sinner saved by grace and nothing more, and we need to glory in Christ alone - but of course it is Still good to give honour where honour is due.

To those who condemn a man who honoured his conscience and tried to help his fellow man who was made in the image of God, teaching as Paul taught that we aught to love one another regardless of where they came from, and remembering what we do to the least of these, we do to Him.

Martin made a stand against unbiblical hatred and prejudice that the church not just the world was riddled with. He may not have evangelised, but the fact it was a known man of God speaking out for the afflicted minority may well have influenced millions to look to Christ. I don’t know, I wasn’t there. I wish many people would have done what he did in Germany on behalf of the Jews when the world and the church turned a blind eye until hitler decided to go to war with them.

Whatever his previous ministry - and whatever the outcome - we have zero right to judge any believer for the good that they do, or how and when they do it, if they walk in sin then that’s another matter of course.

I have no idea if God called him to do what he did. I don’t really limelight any believer living or past, as Paul said we are all Christ’s and are equal, but I sure wish I could be salt and light in such an effective way to show that love that proves Christ came in the flesh.

if martin followed his conscience and maybe was motivated to obey Gods word as he saw and understood it, like some of these verses below, he did right in the eyes of God.

Romans 14
10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

James 4 v 17
So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

James 2
14What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does itprofit? 17Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Matthew 7:12
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets

Habakkuk 1:13
You who are of purer eyes than to see evil and cannot look at wrong, why do you idly look at traitors and remain silent when the wicked swallows up the man more righteous than he?
Proverbs 24:11-12
Rescue those who are being taken away to death; hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter. If you say, “Behold, we did not know this,” does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who keeps watch over your soul know it, and will he not repay man according to his work?

Dec 2, 2020

secular causes.

_
God has in the past used His people to do good. We are called to stand up for what is right and help our fellow man. Because how you treat the least among them, is how you treat Christ.

So I'm going to call BS on this one. This is a copout from someone who is afraid to go out and do something good, and smears those who do in order to feel good about their complacency or cowardice.

Your faith should extend outside the pulpit or Sunday pew. You shall know them by the fruit they bear.

I'm also going to call BS on the modern day SJW movements. Because their narratives and context of their data are false. But that is the only reason why. And the organizations that claim to fight for justice are simply false puppets.

This is because evil has become good and good evil, and these people are simply puppets and trained Marxists (see BLM's own home page, and the interview with their founder/leader, I forget her name).

Good has been corrupted by evil and hijacked for the purpose of overthrowing our nation.

The only true Light is the Lord Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, and God the Father.

Dec 2, 2020
Helping the oppressed and speaking on their behalf is not a secular cause.... eek
Thank you. Because if that's the case churches shouldn't be running soup kitchens.

But we should also be sure to determine who actually is oppressed and who is just making things up in order to get attention.

CS1

May 23, 2012

secular causes.

_
I am not sure if this post can be a Bible study topic. it is more opinionated about a man who is no longer here to defend himself
I think too you do not understand the context of the African Americans in the south in the '60s. the South was segregated and the south was racist but the South respected Pastors. Black Pastors were the only lawyers Blacks could afford. When a Black youth was taken the church was the only one who was able to see them. The Church was segregated but because of Blacks but because of the ruling whites of that day. MLK did what many Pastors did and were killed for. I think it is inappropriate to attack this dead minister and I too think this thread is in the wrong place.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I am not surprised by some of the comments here. Easy to tell who did or did not grow up in the deep South in the glory days of the KLAN, racism, segregation, lynching, murders, castrations, and other terrible treatments of black Americans simply for the color of their skin.

Reverend King was a man who loved and served God, and when his people needed someone to step up and lead them to try and free themselves from the tyranny or Southern racism, he stepped forth without regard for his life. It is a sad thing to see people attempting to lessen the sacrifice of a man who epitomized the very words of Jesus.............

John 15:13) Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Matthew 5:9) Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Reverend King stepped forth to bring the Gospel of Jesus to his people, and to all the peoples of our Country. He served as an example of Christ like love even when he was hated by the majority of the whites in America, and even some of his own people. He NEVER justified violence. He believed that only through brotherly love and peaceful demonstrations could freedom from racism ever be achieved.

Maybe this is one of those times in History when a person had to actually live through and personally witness the events of this time to fully understand and appreciate the courage and Christ like love of Reverend King.

Years ago, I wrote this as I was reflecting on growing up in Alabama in the 50's and 60's, and the horror of the events I witnessed on more than one occasion.

SIMPLY A MAN

Just a piece of cloth, soft and warm to the touch,
Bright in color and attractive in taste.
Still, simply, a woven image of one man,
A man with a dream........who remembers?

Just a piece of land, dry and sun baked,
Little green at all. A fence, board and tools.
Still, simply, an earthly image of one man,
A man with a dream.......who remembers?

Just a piece of gold, bright and glittering,
Round in shape. Twinkling hopes of desire in each reflection.
Still, simply, a jeweled image of one man,
A man with a dream......who remembers?

Just a pine box, rectangular in shape,
Plain and free of ornaments.
Still, simply, a buried image of one man,
A man with a dream........who remembers?

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I believe Martin Luther King Jr was a prophet that God gave a dream to and sent him to speak to the President of the United States of America because God raised up this nation with a plan and purpose.

Like all prophets, he was killed after he delivered the message God gave him in a dream....... God recompensed Martin Luther King Jr’s blood by JFK and Bobby Kennedy being killed in like matter as His prophet Martin Luther King Jr.

I thank God for raising up Martin Luther King Jr and the message to America in a dream that God gave him. RIP MLK Jr. :love: