Dreams

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Ive found God will speak to people esp those unfamiliar with the Bible using dreams and believers are given the gift of interpetation of dreams and visions. This is how God worked through the pharoah, king nebuchadnezzar and pilates wife, all unbelievers at the time. Jospeh, daniel and others got to interpet and rose to high positions because of their God given Ability to interpret dreams.

It varies amongst believers but God has said that when the holy spirit is poured out upon all flesh, you sons and daughters shall prophesy and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams.

See acts 2:17 referencing the prophet Joel.

Mar 28, 2016
In general most Christians dismiss dreams. I think people do take an interest in their own dreams but just dismiss them as nothing important.

Personally I take my dreams rather seriously as being spiritual. My dreams let me know how close or far from God I've strayed. I also use them to learn lessons bc God is trying to teach me something. For example Ill believe something that is incorrect and God will correct me in my dreams. He also tests me in my dreams. Often I fail the test, but sometimes I pass. I know they are from God. They are biblically based.

God talks to us in dreams. In particular the point before or after you enter a dream. In the darkness I will hear from him in different ways. When I'm lucid I talk to him directly. I'll say "My Lord tell me...." and his voice will respond. I test it by making sure it's biblical. when I'm not lucid I'll still hear from him. It might even be simple like a song I wake up singing.

I'm not sure why other Christians don't believe God speaks to them. Our subconscious is the easiest to mold bc it's completely honest and open. That's why people use hypnosis. Why wouldn't God use it? Or why would he create it to not use?

I try to pay attention to my dreams. I don't always think they're from God. Rather that God is a part of it in some way. Sometimes testing, sometimes my desires....sometimes being near me by loved ones but always a part of it. That's why when I say "Jesus help me" in my dreams I wake up. I guess it could be argued that God is everywhere...dream or reality.

I thinks dreams are a way of keeping us from doing things we should not do by acting them out in our dreams. Fun things like flying as well as anger.

No dreams activity for over 24 hours and more men can start to become psychotic and be tossed between high and lows(bi polar ) It is a thing of mercy that dreams and memory remained even after the fall. But God is greater than our conscience. Interpreting dreams would require a revelation from God. God is no longer brining new revelation but is still in the busy of healing our psychic.,also moving men with new ways.

I would be careful with dream interpretations. Some dream interpretation landed men behind bars. The witness of God is always greater.

Mar 28, 2016
Ive found God will speak to people esp those unfamiliar with the Bible using dreams and believers are given the gift of interpetation of dreams and visions. This is how God worked through the pharoah, king nebuchadnezzar and pilates wife, all unbelievers at the time. Jospeh, daniel and others got to interpet and rose to high positions because of their God given Ability to interpret dreams.

It varies amongst believers but God has said that when the holy spirit is poured out upon all flesh, you sons and daughters shall prophesy and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams.

See acts 2:17 referencing the prophet Joel.
Yes that was possible when God was still bringing new revelations as prophecy .Today now that we have the perfect, no longer in part we can prophesy or declare existing prophecy .The possibility of receiving anymore is sealed up with seven seals to the end of time.

Feb 28, 2016
garee, your words sound absurd, our Saviour hasn't 'sealed up His Holy Words, He is ever revealing to some,
what has not been revealed to others...please, read the Holy Scriptures, especially about the 'end-times'...

Mar 28, 2016
garee, your words sound absurd, our Saviour hasn't 'sealed up His Holy Words, He is ever revealing to some,
what has not been revealed to others...please, read the Holy Scriptures, especially about the 'end-times'...
Yes ever revealing the existing living abiding word which cannot return void from the purpose in which he does sent it., Never adding or subtracting from the perfect..

All that is needed to know about the end time is revealed. Do you think there is something missing ?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
There are mentions of people being guided or warned by dreams in the Bible, and also prophecy coming via dreams. How valid do Christians today feel it is to pay attention to their dreams now? (for secular or spiritual purposes)
What you said about dreams in the Bible is perfectly true. But since the days of dreams, visions, and prophecies concluded with the writing of the last book in the Bible (Revelation), the Bible itself (along with the Holy Spirit) is there to guide Christians. Therefore dreams are generally irrelevant.

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
Our subconscious is the easiest to mold bc it's completely honest and open.
"Subconscious" isn't a Bible word. How could you know it's completely honest and open?

That's why people use hypnosis.
I would urge anyone not to be hypnotized; to consciously agree to shut down your mental faculties and mindlessly accept someone else's suggestions. Those suggestions need to be assessed and that requires your awake mind. Each person is responsible before God about what suggestions they choose to act upon. Instead of being hypnotized, sleep.

My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion ... so ... then ... thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:21-24
Keeping sound wisdom & discretion is something you resolve to do with your fully functioning mind. You do it by studying the Bible and applying it to your life. It causes sweet sleep.

noblenut

Nov 29, 2017
Hi,
I'm a psychotherapist and part of my work involves working with dreams.
There seem to be different types of dreams: some are a playing through and processing of the days events; some dreams are symbolic and may solve problems, reveal unconscious processes etc.; some dreams offer guidance and offer a way forward out of a situation or towards growth.
Other dreams seem predictive and seem to show something of the future or a possible future. Some dreams offer clear spiritual guidance...

My question is about dreams in the Bible and now:

There are mentions of people being guided or warned by dreams in the Bible, and also prophecy coming via dreams. How valid do Christians today feel it is to pay attention to their dreams now? (for secular or spiritual purposes)
And what is the process of understanding a dream that a Christian may use?
sometimes if i want to know something i ask Jesus my father and i may get an answer in a dream

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
"Subconscious" isn't a Bible word. How could you know it's completely honest and open?

I would urge anyone not to be hypnotized; to consciously agree to shut down your mental faculties and mindlessly accept someone else's suggestions. Those suggestions need to be assessed and that requires your awake mind. Each person is responsible before God about what suggestions they choose to act upon. Instead of being hypnotized, sleep.

My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion ... so ... then ... thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:21-24
Keeping sound wisdom & discretion is something you resolve to do with your fully functioning mind. You do it by studying the Bible and applying it to your life. It causes sweet sleep.
I agree reading the Bible and applying it to your life is the most important aspect....if we're ranking.

Dreams have their part too as far as evaluating your spirit. The dream you (call it whatever you want) is always honest and open. So say a person is dreaming of work(when they don't want to) ..they have placed their fear in work. Or they are so placed on auto pilot they are not truly living, nor are they focused on the spirit. A person has a nightmare...the fear has been placed in whatever the situation. Instead of giving it to God and having faith in his protection. Of course all of these dreams are "normal" but they also mean something.

The proverbs quote you gave is referring to the sleep of the righteous. The sleep is sweet bc there is no sin weighing the person down.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
I thinks dreams are a way of keeping us from doing things we should not do by acting them out in our dreams. Fun things like flying as well as anger.
Perhaps our dreams are things we "should" be able to do in real life such as flying.

No dreams activity for over 24 hours and more men can start to become psychotic and be tossed between high and lows(bi polar ) It is a thing of mercy that dreams and memory remained even after the fall. But God is greater than our conscience. Interpreting dreams would require a revelation from God.

God is no longer brining new revelation but is still in the busy of healing our psychic.,also moving men with new ways.

I would be careful with dream interpretations. Some dream interpretation landed men behind bars. The witness of God is always greater.
God is omnipresent and omnipotent. He does not get "busy" in the human sense. Or maybe he could be thought of as the best multitasker. He definitely gives revelations to people though. He's told me the future before in a dream (the day I was baptised). It did come true 1 year later on the day. I am the same as you... When you have a question, ask him and he will give you the answer.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Hi,
I'm a psychotherapist and part of my work involves working with dreams.
There seem to be different types of dreams: some are a playing through and processing of the days events; some dreams are symbolic and may solve problems, reveal unconscious processes etc.; some dreams offer guidance and offer a way forward out of a situation or towards growth.
Other dreams seem predictive and seem to show something of the future or a possible future. Some dreams offer clear spiritual guidance...

My question is about dreams in the Bible and now:

And what is the process of understanding a dream that a Christian may use?
I believe dream can be meaningless, but some dream can be from the Lord. In the Bible God give a dream to Joseph, to take Mary as his wife, pharaoh about there will be 7 years prosperity and 7 years starvation.

So God not only give a dream to believer like Joseph, but unbeliever like pharaoh or Nebuchadnezzar

In my country, some shaman also have a dream from demonic spirit.

Mar 28, 2016
Perhaps our dreams are things we "should" be able to do in real life such as flying.

God is omnipresent and omnipotent. He does not get "busy" in the human sense. Or maybe he could be thought of as the best multitasker. He definitely gives revelations to people though. He's told me the future before in a dream (the day I was baptised). It did come true 1 year later on the day. I am the same as you... When you have a question, ask him and he will give you the answer.
I agree many of the things we have a living hope for...... come true. Its like David said in the Psalms . When I awake I am still with you..... a healing God who sleeps not.. one of my favorite passages.

This is in a sense he is awakening our love breaking the fast of the new day .

. Like someone said; It can always be a good day when a person wakes up on the green side of the grass.

Psalm 139:17-18 King James Version (KJV) How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.