[Excerpt from "Honey, You're Driving Me Bananas!" by Byron Gene Mace June 24, 1998]
If I take over the wheel control of Byron-vehicle from the Safe-Driver, my Savior Jesus, I really mess up--then, I would steer myself, my life, my finances, etcetera, into a pothole and bottom out. This bottoming-out concept in the Greek New Testament is called "paraptomaton" and is found in Galatians 6:1. Most translations I have render it as overtaken, slipped into [some fault or wrongdoing] and is because the falling one/ tripped person has neglected crucifying his old-man nature and has fallen into a sin he could have prevented by being careful to walk in the Spirit and letting God control him.
There is a street not more than four miles from my house in which there is this humongous, long, and dangerous pothole right next to a church's driveway entrance. If I get into the zone and do not pay attention as I drive down this street, I'll hit that pothole at 20-30 mph and I swear I can almost hear a sickening crunch as my axles slam into the wheel wells or the bottom of my car and my butt seems just a fraction of an inch from the pavement. This lack of paying attention and hitting the pothole and jarring my car (dangerously) is an example of "paraptomaton", a process of continually doing things one's own way so often that one sloppily lives deciding impulsively what one should do and then getting stuck in a sin that has grave consequences until one day he bottoms his life out.
If I take over the wheel control of Byron-vehicle from the Safe-Driver, my Savior Jesus, I really mess up--then, I would steer myself, my life, my finances, etcetera, into a pothole and bottom out. This bottoming-out concept in the Greek New Testament is called "paraptomaton" and is found in Galatians 6:1. Most translations I have render it as overtaken, slipped into [some fault or wrongdoing] and is because the falling one/ tripped person has neglected crucifying his old-man nature and has fallen into a sin he could have prevented by being careful to walk in the Spirit and letting God control him.
There is a street not more than four miles from my house in which there is this humongous, long, and dangerous pothole right next to a church's driveway entrance. If I get into the zone and do not pay attention as I drive down this street, I'll hit that pothole at 20-30 mph and I swear I can almost hear a sickening crunch as my axles slam into the wheel wells or the bottom of my car and my butt seems just a fraction of an inch from the pavement. This lack of paying attention and hitting the pothole and jarring my car (dangerously) is an example of "paraptomaton", a process of continually doing things one's own way so often that one sloppily lives deciding impulsively what one should do and then getting stuck in a sin that has grave consequences until one day he bottoms his life out.