Early 20's and STILL single? Read this..

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ugly
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
U

Ugly

Guest
Ok, so i'm hoping all the people in their early 20s wanting to make a thread about how they're 'never' going to find someone because they have been looking for 'so long' will post them all here, rather than constantly having new threads on the same topic over and over.
I'll start out with some advice. This works for all of you, whether you've dated 'all the wrong people' or 'never had a date'. Stop complaining about it. You've barely been in the age of legal marriage to begin with. So it hasn't been that long. And it's not evidence that you will never find anyone. You're young. It hasn't been that long. Maybe God's keeping you single til you stop complaining and being so overly dramatic, and start putting your focus on Him. God didn't create man and woman for marriage. Marriage is not promised to us. Its an option. Live your life, focus on God and stop dwelling on and exaggerating things and constantly complain about them.
 
But...but if you've been looking for a boyfriend/girlfriend since you were 13 years old, and you still haven't found "the one" by the time you're 22, that's like...FOREVER!

My step-sister-in-law was just 16 a couple Christmases ago, and she got an iP...ad? Phone? Something. She opened it up and squealed, "OH-EM-GEE! I've been waiting my WHOLE LIFE for this!!!"

...no, no you haven't. That thing had been out for ohh, a year. Or two.

^^^ Is that ridiculous? Yes. That's kind of how people view the early 20's crowd who are terrified they'll never find anyone.

(Sorry Ugly, if I'm messing up your thread...*running for cover now*)
 
But...but if you've been looking for a boyfriend/girlfriend since you were 13 years old, and you still haven't found "the one" by the time you're 22, that's like...FOREVER!

My step-sister-in-law was just 16 a couple Christmases ago, and she got an iP...ad? Phone? Something. She opened it up and squealed, "OH-EM-GEE! I've been waiting my WHOLE LIFE for this!!!"

...no, no you haven't. That thing had been out for ohh, a year. Or two.

^^^ Is that ridiculous? Yes. That's kind of how people view the early 20's crowd who are terrified they'll never find anyone.

(Sorry Ugly, if I'm messing up your thread...*running for cover now*)

I get what you're saying, but the context is different. I've said 'i've wanted X item forever', when i obviously know i haven't. And your cousin knew it wasn't that long of a wait in reality. Its a figure of speech. But that is not the context these posts are made in. So it's actually not the same thing.
 
I get what you're saying, but the context is different. I've said 'i've wanted X item forever', when i obviously know i haven't. And your cousin knew it wasn't that long of a wait in reality. Its a figure of speech. But that is not the context these posts are made in. So it's actually not the same thing.

Ooh...I was comparing apples to cheese graters. Got it.

In that case...only the first sentence of my previous post applies, and it was sarcastic- though probably accurate- and I'll just...you know, go now... :)
 
This thread made me think of these quotes (these can apply to men or women I am sure):

things-you-love.jpg


e2419a20299dffa3a7068d85145019e5.jpg


4.jpg


74b8232077f0a579eef8675a79206889.jpg

58c49c4c366925d9edc1cc6182271559.jpg

97d88ed6fbf4a222d048c624765c31f7.jpg


Right now I am just trying to focus my mind and attention on becoming closer to God. I am pretty sure that I am not ready to be in any relationships. All I know is that I need to keep focusing my mind on maturing Spiritually, until the right time comes.

Anyway, I just thought I would post these and say this. I hope it is encouraging to someone. :)
 
LOL. I think the same thing when I see those threads. We're still so young!!! Why do we worry about it??? It bothers me when I see teenagers comment on how they'll be alone forever... And i've seen it as young as 13 year olds saying this. Really???

I definitely used to be upset because I didn't have a girlfriend, but then I was told that I have the rest of my life to find a spouse. Also MANY people who marry too young end up splitting up anyway, which means they weren't ready to be married to begin with. We need to accept God's timing, and focus on our relationship with Him before even thinking about marrying someone.
 
I used to be upset by it, but that's because I had put my identity in it. The more I focus on Christ, the less I care that I'm single, and less "woe-is-me" or "It will never happen!". It's really freeing, actually.
 
Hm...
Everyone says to wait until your older, and they have all these guidelines.

But to be honest you don't find wait until your older, and all these other things that we say in the bible.(If you can please pm me he verse lol I would love to see it.)

Not to say that I don't agree with focusing on God until he sends you that special person.

I'm just saying that when it comes to marriage from what I read ,the bible has 2 qualifications:

if you "burn" and that the two have to be equally yoked.

Unfortunately, in these end of days were dealing with the great apostasy and lukewarm believers now more then ever.

So even if someone does want to get married in their younger twenties...

you have to deal with all the negatives from other people/family/friends about how your too young and the daily stresses of marriage life. lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The issue, if you had read, isn't that there's a problem with people having a desire to get married in their 20's. The problem is the overly dramatic mindset people who have only been legally old enough to marry making it sound like their life is over and that they have waited 'so long'. Please read the full post and in context. Its not a criticism for younger people wanting to marry.
 
Agreed Ugly. I wanted to get married, but I wasn't desperate for it. And unfortunately when it happened it became disastrous even when I waited. Marriage takes a lot of weighing.
 
Ok, so i'm hoping all the people in their early 20s wanting to make a thread about how they're 'never' going to find someone because they have been looking for 'so long' will post them all here, rather than constantly having new threads on the same topic over and over.
I'll start out with some advice. This works for all of you, whether you've dated 'all the wrong people' or 'never had a date'. Stop complaining about it. You've barely been in the age of legal marriage to begin with. So it hasn't been that long. And it's not evidence that you will never find anyone. You're young. It hasn't been that long. Maybe God's keeping you single til you stop complaining and being so overly dramatic, and start putting your focus on Him. God didn't create man and woman for marriage. Marriage is not promised to us. Its an option. Live your life, focus on God and stop dwelling on and exaggerating things and constantly complain about them.

AMEN!!! stop and pray and ask God if it's the right time,place,etc. If you fall HARD and it doesn't work, perhaps you've gained a friend, at the LEAST a life lesson. Don't rush into things just be honest and open but ALWAYS keep God focused and know IF it is His will, then it WILL happen...but it's not for anyone to decide.
 
Lol
LOL. I think the same thing when I see those threads. We're still so young!!! Why do we worry about it??? It bothers me when I see teenagers comment on how they'll be alone forever... And i've seen it as young as 13 year olds saying this. Really???

I definitely used to be upset because I didn't have a girlfriend, but then I was told that I have the rest of my life to find a spouse. Also MANY people who marry too young end up splitting up anyway, which means they weren't ready to be married to begin with. We need to accept God's timing, and focus on our relationship with Him before even thinking about marrying someone.


Lol- that's so funny a 13 year old saying she/he is so lonely.
 
I am a 20s, and while I have recounted and shared some of my experiences, lessons, sadnesses, etc...I don't believe that I belong to such as you've created this thread for. Nonetheless, here I've posted. Ah, well...

In any case, there's another option. Keep dating until you've had your fill. I'm both and neither content or discontent in my singleness (or even a relationship, perhaps). I simply am. The way I've arrived there may not be the best, but it really doesn't seem that bad a place. It's sort of a passive interest, but nothing you actively seek or majoritatively focus on.