"Earth age"

• Thread starter Grateful2Be4Given
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

RachelBibleStudent

I believe the fall of Satan happened between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2, but nobody can really be sure.
if satan fell then...and part of God's creation was already corrupted before creation week...then why did God call his creation 'very good' at the end of the sixth day?

R

RachelBibleStudent

Does God create anything bad? No

Did he create Satan bad? No, Satan became bad

Did he create Adam bad? No, Adam became bad

Why would he create the world without form and void with darkness upon the face of the deep? Maybe it became that way
formlessness and voidness are not necessarily bad... a shapeless piece of clay is not bad...it just hasn't been molded yet... and a blank sheet of paper is not bad...it just hasn't been written on...

maybe God created it in a formless and void state so that he could begin building it from pure raw materials...after all he made dust before he made adam out of dust...

A

Abiding

formlessness and voidness are not necessarily bad... a shapeless piece of clay is not bad...it just hasn't been molded yet... and a blank sheet of paper is not bad...it just hasn't been written on...

maybe God created it in a formless and void state so that he could begin building it from pure raw materials...after all he made dust before he made adam out of dust...
He also could have been making a pattern according to redemption since He could have done it in less
that the minutest second.

Hosea 12:10

10I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, by the ministry of the prophets.

R

RachelBibleStudent

Notice that "generations" is PLURAL. Even this verse is indicated that there has been more than one iteration of the heavens and the earth.
the hebrew word there is 'toledoth'...which is better translated as 'account'

the meaning of 'toledoth' was clarified by the excavation of the ancient city of ebla...the word 'toledoth' was used to label cuneiform tablets in a library of records...specifically identifying either the author or the subject of the tablet...

so for example 'toledoth noah' in genesis 6 meant something like 'record of noah' or possibly even 'record written by noah'

in genesis 2:4 it means the record of the heavens and the earth when they were created...it is actually worded in such a way that the reader is led to think of the account as the 'testimony' given by the heavens and the earth...

Last edited:
A

A-Omega

the hebrew word there is 'toledoth'...which is better translated as 'account'

the meaning of 'toledoth' was clarified by the excavation of the ancient city of ebla...the word 'toledoth' was used to label cuneiform tablets in a library of records...specifically identifying either the author or the subject of the tablet...

so for example 'toledoth noah' in genesis 6 meant something like 'record of noah' or possibly even 'record written by noah'

in genesis 2:4 it means the record of the heavens and the earth when they were created...it is actually worded in such a way that the reader is led to think of the account as the 'testimony' given by the heavens and the earth...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A

A-Omega

the instances of the verb in genesis 1 make sense when read either way...as 'was' or 'became'...there is nothing decisive in this chapter...that is why i went to chapter two...where translating it as 'because' -does- result in an error...

and the hebrew text of genesis 2:25 -does- include the same verb as genesis 1:2 that we are debating...here is the verse quoted from my hebrew bible...the translation of each word is in parentheses...

genesis 2:25..."wa'yihyu (and they were) shneihem (both of them) 'arumim (naked) ha'adam (the man) w'ishto (and his wife) w'lo (and not) yithboshashu (ashamed)"

yihyu in genesis 2:25 is the same verb as hayithah in genesis 1:2...the past tense of hayah or 'to be'...hayithah is the third person feminine conjugation and yihyu is the third person plural conjugation

so the verb clearly means 'was/were' and not 'became' in genesis 2:25...since adam and eve did not -become- naked but rather they -were- naked...and it is reasonable to assume it means 'was/were' and not 'became' in genesis 1:2 also...

like i said...this issue is a matter of basic hebrew...and you are getting your basic hebrew completely wrong...it seems like you just don't know what you are talking about
Well I guess it just depends on what version of the Bible you are using. Because in the Masoteric text, it's not there. And again, in Hebrew, the word "was" always means became. And you still cannot show me an example of the word was that fits your interpretation anywhere in the Old Testament! If I'm wrong, then why can't you just point it out in verse 2 of Genesis chapter 1?? Especially using your expertise in Hebrew.

and if science is just playing catch up...then why was the gap theory invented in the 1800s -after- the secular notion of a very old earth became popular? it is obvious that the gap theory was an adaptation to fit secular science into the bible...
First off I already quoted Origen who lived in the second century AD on Gap Theory. The Pes-hita, Midrash and Targum all say the Earth became ruined. Yet you just ignore these points. Furthermore, Thomas Chalmers, the first scholar to publish on Gap Theory in the 19th century, wrote it 18 years before Darwin. So again it has nothing to do with "adapting" to science.

R

RachelBibleStudent

Well I guess it just depends on what version of the Bible you are using. Because in the Masoteric text, it's not there. And again, in Hebrew, the word "was" always means became. And you still cannot show me an example of the word was that fits your interpretation anywhere in the Old Testament! If I'm wrong, then why can't you just point it out in verse 2 of Genesis chapter 1?? Especially using your expertise in Hebrew.

First off I already quoted Origen who lived in the second century AD on Gap Theory. The Pes-hita, Midrash and Targum all say the Earth became ruined. Yet you just ignore these points. Furthermore, Thomas Chalmers, the first scholar to publish on Gap Theory in the 19th century, wrote it 18 years before Darwin. So again it has nothing to do with "adapting" to science.
i was quoting from the masoretic text...it -is- there...do you even bother fact checking your claims or are you just making stuff up as you go along?

and the whole point of that quotation was that genesis 2:25 is an example of the hebrew verb 'hayah' meaning 'was/were' and -not- became

origen didn't actually believe in the gap theory...he believed in the preexistence of souls on a spiritual plane similar to the platonic 'world of forms'...and that the current creation was the first and only physical universe God made...

anyway origen was a heretic... he taught that angels and demons and human souls were once the same type of spiritual being...which were later differentiated only by the degree to which they lost their love for God while residing on that platonic spiritual plane...and he taught that our condition in this life was decided by what we did in that spiritual state of preexistence...

appealing to origen for doctrinal support is like quoting from the book of mormon to defend your belief...and anyone who knows anything about origen knows that he got these ideas from pagan greek platonic philosophy...which doesn't contradict my point about the pagan roots of gap theory and anything resembling it...

the targums and pesh-itta are both very loose paraphrases of the hebrew and greek texts...mistranslations and alterations are common in both of them... appealing to them is like appealing to the message bible when you should be doing your study in the original languages...

the midrashim are basically jewish fictional embellishments of the biblical account...appealing to them is like quoting from 'the prince of egypt' movie when you should be relying on the bible alone...

and finally the secular scientific idea that the earth is very old did not start with darwin...it actually started with hutton in the early 1700s...decades before chalmers... chalmers was trying to reconcile the bible with secular science...and he even said so...

C

CBM82

I have thought about this as well which is why I'm not completely convinced of the gap theory, but I still think there could be something to it.

And I couldn't careless if the gap theory agrees with science or not because thats not the reason why I began to consider it anyway.

C

CBM82

if satan fell then...and part of God's creation was already corrupted before creation week...then why did God call his creation 'very good' at the end of the sixth day?
I am convinced the angels existed before day one. I also lean in favor of the idea that they fell before day one. I think God calling the creation or recreation good does not apply to Satan and his angels, just applies to the earth and all the flesh beings within it.

Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
Job 38:5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
Job 38:6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

trying to fit in the fall of Satan after day one (because he had fell by time the serpent deceived Adam and Eve) is trying to fit too much into a short period of time in my opinion.

N

nath1234

The bible has absolutely no scientific backing of this.

Think about this. If the earth and heavens are only 6,000 years old. That means that everything we see in space is within 6,000 light years at the most. That isn't true. The Andromeda Galaxy is approximately 2.5 million light years away. So either Genesis is wrong, or the interpretation of it is wrong. Or the time framed described is in accurate. But we know that there are objects in space, that we can see, that are more than 6,000 light years away. even more than 100,000 light years away.

I could really go on about this all day, but I know it wont matter. You believe the bible because the bible says it is true. I realize I am most likely not going to change that. But if you want to read the scientific evidence behind the earth's age..here ya go.

The Age of the Earth

It is a pretty good website beyond that as well.

Thessalonians 5:21

yes but

there is sicientific evidence that the speed of light is slowing down

there is also scientific evidence that the uniuverse is expanding in every direction from the earth

it is also very difficult to accurately calculate the distance using the triangulation methould as one side of the triangle is so small in relation to the other 2 sides therfore a very small angular mistake can make a huge distance mistake

considering no one has been around for 2.5million years or is able to monitor light from its star to earth the other methoulds cannot be verified

i am covinced that the earth is about 6000 years old as can be calculated from the bible

for scientific reasons such as the moon is moving away from the earth therefore it was once closer this can be calculated 6000 years is fine however if you go to millions and millions of years the moon is so close that i would no longer be in orbit(ie it would be sitting on the earth)

Nath

C

CBM82

Why so many craters on the moon? Is this only 6,000 years worth of damage? How often do we see stuff hitting the moon?

Nov 10, 2011
yes but

This is extremely speculative, there isn't any real evidence to support this claim. Barry Setterfield (a creationist) just up and claimed it one day with no experimental evidence. And it has yet to have any proof put up to support it.

there is also scientific evidence that the uniuverse is expanding in every direction from the earth
Yes, everything is expanding, and increasing in speed as it expands. But Earth is not the central point of the expansion. Not even close.

it is also very difficult to accurately calculate the distance using the triangulation methould as one side of the triangle is so small in relation to the other 2 sides therfore a very small angular mistake can make a huge distance mistake

That is why for object with vast distances, we use Redshift and Hubbles law. Yes, it is true that those great distances require so theoretically mathematics. But triangulation, or the parallax method is used for only nearby systems, and is extremely accurate.

For distances inbetween, there are other, very accurate methods.

considering no one has been around for 2.5million years or is able to monitor light from its star to earth the other methoulds cannot be verified
Lack of observation does not validate dismissing universal constants. There is no reason to believe that observable laws were any different before we were around to see them.

Also, we don't need to go back 2.5 million years to blow the 6,000 years theory out of the water. Just look at the ice pulls from Antarctica, were they routinely find layers that show over 100,000 summers have passed in the seasonal layers.

i am covinced that the earth is about 6000 years old as can be calculated from the bible
People used to use the Bible to justify the Earth being flat, and the non-existence of dinosaurs. People used to be punished severely for saying that the Earth was not the center of the universe.

for scientific reasons such as the moon is moving away from the earth therefore it was once closer this can be calculated 6000 years is fine however if you go to millions and millions of years the moon is so close that i would no longer be in orbit(ie it would be sitting on the earth)
You realize that is probably true right? It is pretty commonly believed that the moon broke off from us.

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
yes but

Nath
It is interesting that all natural chronometers assume uniformitarianism which allows them to extrapolate based on current observations.

And yet these same pseudoscientists will deny uniformitarianism when it comes to explaining how a chemical precipitate, such as limestone, which has a deposition rate of one foot every 2250 years, could have formed the Grand Canyon in a flood event!

N

nath1234

This is extremely speculative, there isn't any real evidence to support this claim. Barry Setterfield (a creationist) just up and claimed it one day with no experimental evidence. And it has yet to have any proof put up to support it.

you have already posted evedence to suport this claim "and increasing in speed as it expands" we both know this is impossible acording to the laws of physics this could be explained by the speed of light slowing down.

Yes, everything is expanding, and increasing in speed as it expands. But Earth is not the central point of the expansion. Not even close.

I never said the earth was the center of the expantion

That is why for object with vast distances, we use Redshift and Hubbles law. Yes, it is true that those great distances require so theoretically mathematics. But triangulation, or the parallax method is used for only nearby systems, and is "extremely accurate".

please clarify this

For distances inbetween, there are other, very accurate methods.

Also, we don't need to go back 2.5 million years to blow the 6,000 years theory out of the water. Just look at the ice pulls from Antarctica, were they routinely find layers that show over 100,000 summers have passed in the seasonal layers.

they have also proved that ice layers can build up very fast and one ice layer does not necicarialy represent one summer so your 100,000 layers is not necacaiarly 100,000 summers as it is often said

You realize that is probably true right? It is pretty commonly believed that the moon broke off from us.
so when do you think life on earth started how close was the moon how fast was it rotateing around the earth

was life possible in those conditions

and how exactially did the moon break of the earth

nath

Nov 10, 2011
so when do you think life on earth started how close was the moon how fast was it rotateing around the earth

was life possible in those conditions

and how exactially did the moon break of the earth

nath
The moon didnt just pop out of the earth in its present form, it most likely happened in the early formation of the earth, but no, I don't think life was possible in those conditions.

As for how and when life started on earth, there is alot of presuming there. So nobody can really say for sure. There are a couple of good theories such as the iron-sulfer world theory, and the RNA world hypothesis. But no clear cut answer.

The earliest recovered fossil records are microbs from about 3.5 billion years ago, and their line can be traced pretty much without interruption back to that point. Lab test have shown how protobiots can be constructed from basic chemical compounds in the right conditions, and this may very well have been the first step.

I want to be clear here, that I do believe in God, I'm not an Atheist. But I also believe that these scientific findings are valid. There is no reason to believe that God wouldn't make it possible for us to answer these types of questions. I believe that God has put a great amount of order to the universe, and there isn't any reason for us to believe that he would break natural laws in order to build the earth and the universe. Science is just what God has allowed us to learn about the world around us.

What I don't believe is that God just poofed everything into existence the way it is today. Not to say that he couldn't have, but why make things appear different then they are? Wouldn't God be beyond deceiving us?

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
What show were you watching? That info is not true. It is partly true as they use material from space to try and get a better idea of the exact age....but to say we haven't found any old rocks here?

"Ancient rocks exceeding 3.5 billion years in age are found on all of Earth's continents. The oldest rocks on Earth found so far are the Acasta Gneisses in northwestern Canada near Great Slave Lake (4.03 Ga) and the Isua Supracrustal rocks in West Greenland (3.7 to 3.8 Ga), but well-studied rocks nearly as old are also found in the Minnesota River Valley and northern Michigan (3.5-3.7 billion years), in Swaziland (3.4-3.5 billion years), and in Western Australia (3.4-3.6 billion years). These ancient rocks have been dated by a number of radiometric dating methods and the consistency of the results give scientists confidence that the ages are correct to within a few percent."
I wasnt trying to be factual, :) just sharing one of the many theories that are out there, not saying this one was correct. :) This same program claimed we came from aliens. :)
But another theory to consider, the earth was formed by electrical static drawing debri from space.
So the materials exsisted already from before creation of the earth.
So how can one properly call testing rocks that exsisted prior to earth's creation, and were brought together in creation of the earth, accurate by dating?
I'm not claiming to say this is an answer, just looking to the question. :)

I know only what we are called to believe in faith, for God gave us His word and understanding of creation.
There are so many things in scripture that cannot be explained, miricals, parting the red sea, stopping time, Jesus's resurection, all explained in scripture, even though many seek a plausible or scientific explanation.
It seems to me that questioning wether creation occered as said in scripture, vs man's scientific understanding, is splitting hairs when compared to the faith, hope and love we are called to through faith in Jesus. :)
Just my thoughts though. :)

God bless
pickles