Easter Workarounds

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
With many churches closed or live-streaming services, Easter just ain't gonna be the same this year. How are y'all dealing with it?

Here we are having a live-streamed service, and the family will be having Easter dinner. No, not the WHOLE family - just the small part that has been hanging out together since this virus mess started.

One thing that was made very clear to me is, I MUST make deviled eggs this Sunday. It's a traditional part of our Easter lunch and something we are apparently hanging on to as the last (delicious) shred of normalcy.

What are you doing this Sunday? Will you be modifying any traditions, so you can keep them in at least SOME form? Will you just ditch everything and spend the day like any other boring quarantine day?

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
With many churches closed or live-streaming services, Easter just ain't gonna be the same this year. How are y'all dealing with it?

Here we are having a live-streamed service, and the family will be having Easter dinner. No, not the WHOLE family - just the small part that has been hanging out together since this virus mess started.

One thing that was made very clear to me is, I MUST make deviled eggs this Sunday. It's a traditional part of our Easter lunch and something we are apparently hanging on to as the last (delicious) shred of normalcy.

What are you doing this Sunday? Will you be modifying any traditions, so you can keep them in at least SOME form? Will you just ditch everything and spend the day like any other boring quarantine day?

Well so far the plan is to go visit my parents, probably early enough so that I can work my techie magic and make sure we can stream their church service on the proper TV instead of being in different rooms around different screens. There's going to be turkey and I might make some homemade ice cream to share and board games ( I keep thinking I should get some version of the game pandemic to play as it seems a singularly appropriate game. I might get the app). And I'll be hauling a bunch of dirty laundry down to make it clean (which has been my tradition since I moved into a place that doesn't have it's own washer and dryer).

But I agree no church on easter just doesn't seem right, so I'm kinda sad too, but going to make the best of it. Because I'm pretty thoroughly blessed and God is still good.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
What techie-magic are you employing? HDMI from laptop to TV? VGA and pipe audio to speakers? I use a Miracast dongle and a smartphone myself, with uncle Fred's facebook account. (Our church is using facebook live for a streaming platform... ugh!)

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
What techie-magic are you employing? HDMI from laptop to TV? VGA and pipe audio to speakers? I use a Miracast dongle and a smartphone myself, with uncle Fred's facebook account. (Our church is using facebook live for a streaming platform... ugh!)
I believe my parents' church is just streaming on youtube ( I should know, Dad preached the saturday night sermon and I watched it live). And I bought a fire TV stick when they were on cheaper christmas sale that Dad iheirited since it just didn't end up making sense to use with my setup so hoping to move that to the living room TV and get youtube on it. Which is beyond my mother's tech abilities (dad could probably figure it out if I talked him through it, but I didn't use that thing enough before giving it to him to be able to talk him through navigating out of amazon stuff). If we can't make that work, then maybe I should pack up my work laptop and hdmi cable as a backup option (getting too close to work for me to like that idea, but might be the best stopgap).

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Since the lock down here in Colorado my church has been posting pre-recorded services (somewhat shorter that our typical live service) to YouTube. One of the Mega churches here in Colorado Springs has arranged to have their service (without congregants in attendance) broadcast by our local ABC affiliate.