Edom = Red. What Red means?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

pumpkinbread1567

Active member
Feb 26, 2021
389
59
28
So first, Bible says Edom (Esau) "came out Red, all over like a hairy garment". I've since instinctively interpreted this part as he "came out covered in blood". But it now came to me to wonder what it actually means. As "Esau" literally means "hairy", perhaps you could say he came out hairy all over his body. But that'd be very weird for a baby. So... What does it mean?

Also, what does Red here symbolize for Esau?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pilgrimshope
So first, Bible says Edom (Esau) "came out Red, all over like a hairy garment". I've since instinctively interpreted this part as he "came out covered in blood". But it now came to me to wonder what it actually means. As "Esau" literally means "hairy", perhaps you could say he came out hairy all over his body. But that'd be very weird for a baby. So... What does it mean?

Also, what does Red here symbolize for Esau?

I think that his skin was darker and he was hairier Jacob is described as smooth where as esau is hairy remember when Jacob tricks Isaac for the blessing he takes an animal skin and lets Isaac touch it so he thinks it’s esau
 
  • Like
Reactions: pottersclay
So first, Bible says Edom (Esau) "came out Red, all over like a hairy garment". I've since instinctively interpreted this part as he "came out covered in blood". But it now came to me to wonder what it actually means. As "Esau" literally means "hairy", perhaps you could say he came out hairy all over his body. But that'd be very weird for a baby. So... What does it mean?

Also, what does Red here symbolize for Esau?

have you ever considered the prophetic value of the name edom in messianic latter prophecy I mean ? Edom would eventually be chosen as the Gentiles because of Israel’s treatment of God And his wrath toward them

this is sort of terrifying at first but 😓

“I saw the Lord standing upon the altar: and he said, Smite the lintel of the door, that the posts may shake: and cut them in the head, all of them; and I will slay the last of them with the sword: he that fleeth of them shall not flee away, and he that escapeth of them shall not be delivered.

Though they dig into hell, thence shall mine hand take them; though they climb up to heaven, thence will I bring them down: And though they hide themselves in the top of Carmel, I will search and take them out thence; and though they be hid from my sight in the bottom of the sea, thence will I command the serpent, and he shall bite them:

And though they go into captivity before their enemies, thence will I command the sword, and it shall slay them: and I will set mine eyes upon them for evil, and not for good.

Are ye not as children of the Ethiopians unto me, O children of Israel? saith the Lord. Have not I brought up Israel out of the land of Egypt? and the Philistines from Caphtor, and the Syrians from Kir?

Behold, the eyes of the Lord God are upon the sinful kingdom, and I will destroy it from off the face of the earth;

saving that I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob, saith the Lord. For, lo, I will command, and I will sift the house of Israel among all nations, like as corn is sifted in a sieve, yet shall not the least grain fall upon the earth. All the sinners of my people shall die by the sword, which say, The evil shall not overtake nor prevent us.

( but through Christ the messiah “son of David “)

In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old: That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the Lord that doeth this.”
‭‭Amos‬ ‭9:1-4,

in the flesh edom was rejected before birth as Gentiles in the ot , but after israel the chosen rejected God , he chose all nations along with the repentant believing remnant of Israel ( the early church ) and every Israelite who eventually recognizes Jesus for who he is

David’s temple is where Christ is seated now
 
well...
Esau was the one who had the birthright but sold it to Jacob in exchange for some 'red pottage' i.e red bean soup. Esaus was hairy. I think he may have even had red hair. There is also the land of Edom that has red soil.

one of the sacrifices had to be a red heifer (a red bull? or cow?)

it was the blood of the passover lamb (red) mark on the doorposts of each house that meant each household was spared in the plague.

The red or scarlet cord was also significant in Rahabs hiding of the spies.

Jesus sacrifice was red in that it was his blood that atoned for everyones sin. So maybe red is symbolic in the Bible for being highly prized or sacrificial.
 
well...
Esau was the one who had the birthright but sold it to Jacob in exchange for some 'red pottage' i.e red bean soup. Esaus was hairy. I think he may have even had red hair. There is also the land of Edom that has red soil.

one of the sacrifices had to be a red heifer (a red bull? or cow?)

it was the blood of the passover lamb (red) mark on the doorposts of each house that meant each household was spared in the plague.

The red or scarlet cord was also significant in Rahabs hiding of the spies.

Jesus sacrifice was red in that it was his blood that atoned for everyones sin. So maybe red is symbolic in the Bible for being highly prized or sacrificial.

just a scripture that fits with what you are saying atonement for sins referring to the color scarlet

“Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭1:18‬ ‭

atonement - the washing away of the sin itself, by putting it onto the sacrifice by the principle of faith based on what God said about atonement and blood and carrying out the death sentance required on the sinless sacrificial substitute .

all men are as scarlet dressed in our filthy garments , repentance and remission of sins based upon the atonement allows for the gospel to dress us in the garments of righteousness

all are as esau was , but can be made to receive jacobs lot
 
  • Like
Reactions: pottersclay
I think that his skin was darker and he was hairier Jacob is described as smooth where as esau is hairy remember when Jacob tricks Isaac for the blessing he takes an animal skin and lets Isaac touch it so he thinks it’s esau
So you're saying a baby Esau came out hairy all over?
 
just a scripture that fits with what you are saying atonement for sins referring to the color scarlet

“Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭1:18‬ ‭

atonement - the washing away of the sin itself, by putting it onto the sacrifice by the principle of faith based on what God said about atonement and blood and carrying out the death sentance required on the sinless sacrificial substitute .

all men are as scarlet dressed in our filthy garments , repentance and remission of sins based upon the atonement allows for the gospel to dress us in the garments of righteousness

all are as esau was , but can be made to receive jacobs lot
I don't think you understood the point of the thread. I was asking about Baby Esau coming out "Red, all over like a hairy garment."
It wasn't about Esau's spiritual definition, but what this verse is suppose to visualize of his appearance.
 
have you ever considered the prophetic value of the name edom in messianic latter prophecy I mean ? Edom would eventually be chosen as the Gentiles because of Israel’s treatment of God And his wrath toward them

this is sort of terrifying at first but 😓

“I saw the Lord standing upon the altar: and he said, Smite the lintel of the door, that the posts may shake: and cut them in the head, all of them; and I will slay the last of them with the sword: he that fleeth of them shall not flee away, and he that escapeth of them shall not be delivered.

Though they dig into hell, thence shall mine hand take them; though they climb up to heaven, thence will I bring them down: And though they hide themselves in the top of Carmel, I will search and take them out thence; and though they be hid from my sight in the bottom of the sea, thence will I command the serpent, and he shall bite them:

And though they go into captivity before their enemies, thence will I command the sword, and it shall slay them: and I will set mine eyes upon them for evil, and not for good.

Are ye not as children of the Ethiopians unto me, O children of Israel? saith the Lord. Have not I brought up Israel out of the land of Egypt? and the Philistines from Caphtor, and the Syrians from Kir?

Behold, the eyes of the Lord God are upon the sinful kingdom, and I will destroy it from off the face of the earth;

saving that I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob, saith the Lord. For, lo, I will command, and I will sift the house of Israel among all nations, like as corn is sifted in a sieve, yet shall not the least grain fall upon the earth. All the sinners of my people shall die by the sword, which say, The evil shall not overtake nor prevent us.

( but through Christ the messiah “son of David “)

In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old: That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the Lord that doeth this.”
‭‭Amos‬ ‭9:1-4,

in the flesh edom was rejected before birth as Gentiles in the ot , but after israel the chosen rejected God , he chose all nations along with the repentant believing remnant of Israel ( the early church ) and every Israelite who eventually recognizes Jesus for who he is

David’s temple is where Christ is seated now
I don't believe "the Remnant of Israel = the Early Church" as you stated, but yes, Edom will be an inheritance. Nevertheless, it's kind of off-topic.
 
Esau is the father of the arabs. I've seen on websites that he is the "father of Caucasians." It's notable the Arab/Israeli conflict has raged since Jacob and Esau. He was hairy. The significance of that, I don't know. Because he was hairy, it required deception on the part of Jacob (supplanter) to take his hairy brother's birthright from their blind old dad.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pottersclay
It is taught in rabbinical circles that hairiness indicates a more carnal (animalistic) nature. Esau was a rough and tumble 'man of the field' while Jacob was a 'plain man dwelling in tents,' a homebody (Gen 25:27). Perhaps the contrast between Jacob and Esau is alluding to the earthly man and the heavenly man, when you consider the exact order of their respective blessings.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pilgrimshope
Esau is the father of the arabs. I've seen on websites that he is the "father of Caucasians." It's notable the Arab/Israeli conflict has raged since Jacob and Esau.
Then you'd hate/be blown away to know that most of the Israelis who control Israel of today including the rabbinic authority, bombing neighboring nations, are Edomites.
 
It is taught in rabbinical circles that hairiness indicates a more carnal (animalistic) nature. Esau was a rough and tumble 'man of the field' while Jacob was a 'plain man dwelling in tents,' a homebody (Gen 25:27). Perhaps the contrast between Jacob and Esau is alluding to the earthly man and the heavenly man, when you consider the exact order of their respective blessings.

The same Hebrew letters are used to form both the names Edom and Adam, and so they basically mean the same thing. Esau's blessing 'with the fruit of the field, and the dew of heaven' in contrast to Jacob's blessing, 'with the dew of heaven, and the fruit of the field,' appear to be exact blessings but knowing God as a God of perfect order, it is no coincidence these blessings are reversed in order.
 
Then you'd hate/be blown away to know that most of the Israelis who control Israel of today including the rabbinic authority, bombing neighboring nations, are Edomites.

And so, that makes the Palestinians the actual Israelites?
 
So you're saying a baby Esau came out hairy all over?

um I’m saying that’s my guess , yes . I k ow that when he was grown he was extremely hairy because Jacob used an animal hide to trick Isaac into thinking it was esau so

I think because we’re dealing with ancient language translated into ours . This scripture is actually stating two points of description and not one as it seems

“And the first came out red,

all over like an hairy garment; and they called his name Esau.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭25:25‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I think if you were describing that today you would say he was red , and “ hairy all over as a garment but again it’s only my own thought could be wrong or right I don’t know
but I think like you do , there’s more to it prophetically or “ symbolically “ that it states” red “ I had always assumed darker skin , but another comment in this thread for me thinking of other meanings in prophecy

esau was hated before birth and jacob chosen but that’s according to the first covenant , esau began as excluded from inheritance because of his sin.

but the New Testament is about redeeming the heathen as well as Israel’s tribes , together because they had all been proven sinners together when Israel broke the covenant

My thought is that “ edom “ which is when he sells his birthrite because of his fleshly desire , has a lot of prophetic significance to show God always had plans to redeem the gentile as well as Jew

Even though the covenant began excluding Gentiles from inheritance like with esau , later God would choose esau ( Gentiles ) to cause Israel’s repentance and the people separated by the law , would be made one people of God Jew and gentile ( represented in prophecy sometimes by the name “edom “
 
I don't think you understood the point of the thread. I was asking about Baby Esau coming out "Red, all over like a hairy garment."
It wasn't about Esau's spiritual definition, but what this verse is suppose to visualize of his appearance.


ah ok yes I think baby esau was hairy.


“And the first came out red, all over like an hairy garment; and they called his name Esau.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭25:25‬ ‭KJV‬‬


I guess I thought you mentioned the significance of the name “ edom” he wasn’t called edom because of his appearance but because of his sin

“And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭25:30‬ ‭KJV‬‬
 
I don't believe "the Remnant of Israel = the Early Church" as you stated, but yes, Edom will be an inheritance. Nevertheless, it's kind of off-topic.

yea off topic it’s going to be a short thread of the topic is “ was baby esau hairy “ and then strictly Kept there , but I apologize for getting off topic ill note thats very important to you next time , and actually understand your reasoning
 
you could say he came out hairy all over his body.
How about hairy and ruddy at the same time? A hairy, ruddy baby! As to the significance, we see later on in Scripture that Esau is called a "profane (heathenish or wicked) person". The Edomites were always enemies of the Israelites, and that is the wider significance. They continue to be enemies of Israel today.
 
yea off topic it’s going to be a short thread of the topic is “ was baby esau hairy “ and then strictly Kept there , but I apologize for getting off topic ill note thats very important to you next time , and actually understand your reasoning

I'm not sure but, I think the culmination of the topic has converged at post #11 ?