Education & the job market

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

proverbs35

Nov 10, 2012
1. Are you happy with your current job? Why or why not?

2. Do you think that you are underqualified, overqualified or well suited for your current job?

3. Professionally, where would you like to be in 5 years?

4. What are you doing to reach that goal?

5. What's the job market like in your state?

6. Speaking as someone who has been employed, what career advice would you give to others?

7. Christians are supposed to have integrity, and the job market can be very dog eat dog. With that being said, do you think that Christians struggle more in the job market?

L

LaVieEnRose

1. Yes, I am teaching a subject I like.

2. Underqualified in some ways, overqualified in other ways.

3. Teaching the same subject in the same school.

4. Do a good job and keep my principal happy.

5. I’m not sure.

6. It’s not what you know, but who you know. Network, network, network!

7. Not really, most jobs don’t require people to do things unethically.

M

Miri

Sort of, it would be good if we actually had enough staff and people didn’t
keep leaving or getting swapped around. But thats the civil service for you!
I also know this is where God wants me to be for now. Time and time again
God has smoothed things out for me.

2. Do you think that you are underqualified, overqualified or well suited for your current job?

Well suited.

Haven’t a clue, I would rather leave that to God.

See above

Not everyone lives in America. I live in the Uk. Mostly you can
find a job if you are willing to take anything.

6. Speaking as someone who has been employed, what career advice would you give to others?

Seek the wisdom of God.

7. Christians are supposed to have integrity, and the job market can be very dog eat dog. With that being said, do you think that Christians struggle more in the job market?

I have never given a second thought to it. Just be who you
are suppose to be and God will deal with the rest. The world may think we are
Suppose to be competitive and run rough shod over people, but that doesn’t
mean you have to go along with the world. It’s up to Christians to show there
is another way to do life.

Big thing I found, don’t get involved in work gossip. It will destroy you and
people around you.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany

well im a Student and im glad when I am done with this schooling/apprentice.

alread studied a lot so some things are almost boring.. for the job it will bebe a fight depending on my levels i will have

3. Professionally, where would you like to be in 5 years?be
in the US or a spanish country working and having a nice life

keep studying and add schoolings if I must
thanks to refugees, a pain in the buttox no matter which job you want

dont let ppl see when your unmotivated and take a stand if someone wants to mess u up

well if you make a big deal out of your religion u will have more of a struggle than if u act normal...lol

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
"Happy" would be something of a miracle. I'm a grill cook at a fast food factory. "Happy" is also transitory, depending on circumstances that can change frequently and rapidly. I would say I am content where I work. I make enough for what I need and I can do the job. Also I am not looking for another job. If I'm not looking for something else I guess I'm fairly content.

I actually work, I show up on time and I do the tasks that are part of my job. I consider myself well suited for my job. But since many of my coworkers are often late and spend much time playing on their phones or standing around talking, they make me look downright overqualified.

Beats me.

See #3.

Southwest Tennessee is mostly factories and stores. If you want a general labor job there are plenty from which to choose.

Your job is not your life. It is something you have to do to survive, but it is not who you are. Too many people confuse who you are with what you do for a living. Do your job and do it as well as you can, but do not let it define you. A doctor and a trash collector are both humans who need God. Your job is not something to be proud or ashamed of if you are doing your best at it. If you have a career, do not let it consume your life. A career takes a lot of time and effort, but if you let it define who you are then you will be a very lost person when you retire.

That depends largely on objectives and perspectives. I have seen a lot of unscrupulous people seem to get ahead for a while, but they always seem to crash and burn eventually. If a christian wants to always get the promotion or the raise, being honest can (in the short term) seem like a serious impediment. But every coworker I can think of that I actually respect is a person who does a good job and does it honestly. Just keep in mind that whatever you work and struggle and maybe even lie and cheat for, you'll lose it all before we reach our destination.
For some reason I felt like I was filling out a job application here... :p

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018

Yes, because God blessed me with it.

Well, because it’s God’s doing, I am well suited.

That’s up to God, not me (Jeremiah 29:11).

Doing my best to obey and listen to what God wants.

Pretty good. Different types of jobs all round.

Trust in God to lead you to the job He wants for you. Before I was employed permanently fulltime, I was working contracting and part time work. When I started applying for fulltime permanent work, I was rejected so many times - I almost gave up. But God taught me how to be patient and to trust in Him. I landed my perm FT job because He gave me that job and also for a reason, to start up devotional groups at work.

Not at all. I think it’s alot more different here where I live as opposed to where others live. There’s alot more opportunities going but also whether that type of job is best suited for you.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
One other thing to consider when balancing your job or career with the rest of your life, is that the United States dollar is what is known as a fiat currency. That means the dollar is worth how much it is worth because the United States says it is worth that much. It could change at any time, based on what the US government treasury wants it to be.

Basically you could knock yourself out making a lot of money and it could be almost worthless tomorrow. Yes we need money to live, but you also need to keep in mind that the government controls how much your money is worth at any given time.

In fact the current inflation rate is carefully calibrated and constantly rechecked and recalculated specifically for the effect that people's money will not become too worthless too fast, but it will become worthless fast enough to encourage people to invest in the stock market for their retirement funds instead of just stashing money under the mattress.

So yes, make enough money to survive, maintain a retirement account, save a bit for emergencies that might come up, but I would not advise working yourself to the bone to make a lot of money. You will wind up missing all the important things in life, and you might find yourself at the end of your life with a pile of money that is worth a lot less than you thought it would be.