I have been trying to avoid bringing up this part of the teaching I have been given as I studied, but it won’t go away so I’m going to get it over with so I can move on to more interesting, pleasant things – like Elijah and other Biblical characters!
While I prayed, God brought it to my attention that I can ask all day long, but if I have not asked forgiveness for my sins, my prayers are as good as bouncing off the ceiling. I argued with Him (never a good idea, by the way) and said, “I did ask you to forgive any sins I might have committed and help me not to do the things that displease you any more.” God is even more loving and gentle than my earthly father was, but He told me what my dad would have said about such a situation – just more gently. Dad would have said, “Quit pussy-footin’ around!” My heavenly Father said, Which sins? Examine yourself and find the sins so you recognize them and do not continue repeat them constantly, then vainly ask me to keep forgiving when you are blinding your eyes to your own sins.”
I have listened multitudes of times as people have prayed, including in the cc chat rooms, and noticed that I am not the only one who says this to God. IF (biggest word in the English language!) the person praying even asks for forgiveness of sins at all it is a quick, cursory mention and then on to more beautiful sounding prayer requests.
While I prayed, God brought it to my attention that I can ask all day long, but if I have not asked forgiveness for my sins, my prayers are as good as bouncing off the ceiling. I argued with Him (never a good idea, by the way) and said, “I did ask you to forgive any sins I might have committed and help me not to do the things that displease you any more.” God is even more loving and gentle than my earthly father was, but He told me what my dad would have said about such a situation – just more gently. Dad would have said, “Quit pussy-footin’ around!” My heavenly Father said, Which sins? Examine yourself and find the sins so you recognize them and do not continue repeat them constantly, then vainly ask me to keep forgiving when you are blinding your eyes to your own sins.”
I have listened multitudes of times as people have prayed, including in the cc chat rooms, and noticed that I am not the only one who says this to God. IF (biggest word in the English language!) the person praying even asks for forgiveness of sins at all it is a quick, cursory mention and then on to more beautiful sounding prayer requests.