electric cars

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Some of the very first cars were electric. They suffered from poor battery performance and poor range. Petrol power was better in those days. The tables are turning now.
Yeah I r'member back in th' day ya could see ole Jake 'n Margie putterin' 'round in their little 'lectric. Sometimes they'd run down in th' middle a 'th road and hafta borrow Johnny's horse ta drag 'em back home.

No joke, electric cars were tried a lot back in the early days. This was way before good BMS (battery management systems) though.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
batteries are very heavy, that is what I noticed on e-bikes
you cant effectively pedal power an e-bike or maneouver it well when its switched off

But perhaps things will improve over time
if the battery was integrated into the design of the bike or car perhaps? Who says they have to be a cell or cylinder shape? What if they were a infinity shape like a mobius loop or a spiral?

I dont know too much about batteries as not an engineer myself but Im always asking why things are done a certain way or if they can be improved. Usually the constraint is cost or availability of resources.

what about electromagnetic crystals? In Heaven, the streets are paved with gold, not asphalt so I wonder what kind of transport is being used there lol

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
someone mentioned need petroleum for fertilizer, well actually you dont need petroleum to make fertilizer as fertilizer can easily be found in seaweed, manure, worm castings etc. Eg it can be organic, as syntheic fertilizers are actually shown to be detrimental to the soil, plus you can over fertilize and then the leaching of that fertilizer damages other ecosystems

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
someone mentioned need petroleum for fertilizer, well actually you dont need petroleum to make fertilizer as fertilizer can easily be found in seaweed, manure, worm castings etc. Eg it can be organic, as syntheic fertilizers are actually shown to be detrimental to the soil, plus you can over fertilize and then the leaching of that fertilizer damages other ecosystems
Currently the lack of petroleum based fertilizers are causing a global famine. Just in case you hadn't noticed.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Currently the lack of petroleum based fertilizers are causing a global famine. Just in case you hadn't noticed.
because people have been relying on them too much
and actually dont know how to farm organically or regeneratively - govts have for too long been forcing famers to use them and subsidising it.

but its not lack of fertilizer that causes famine, its usually unforseen weather and lack of water

besides, in case you hadnt noticed, mining for fertilisers, or other minerals is not exactly sustainable

and its hard on the people who are forced to work in the mines. We have refugees from africa where, the land has been taken over by countries govts greedy for minerals, to make phones, jewellery, and other luxury items as well as phosphate. They then cannot grow food anymore because their land has been comopltely ruined and debased by irresponsible miners and greed - it affects ecosytems and has knock on effect..you take something out of one environemnt, you got to give something back. But no, some people just take and take and take till there is nothing left

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
most people think of renewable energy and regeneration but a lot of people are only short term gainers, they think what proft can they get right now, and not concerned about any future generations or the environment, which is pretty sad

I recall when plastic was touted as wonderful and it would stoptrees being cut down etc replace paper but people didnt forsee the plastic problem and its end use cycle

You need to think on how to close the loop on every cycle so that its regenerative not degenerative.

its like, say you make sourdough bread, you always save some starter for the next batch so that you'll never run out.

Or..,say you cut down a tree, you make sure that tree is going to being replaced with others grown

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
the latest news is that theres billions being poured into lowering carbon emissions in my country

and for the most part that is car exhaust emissions, although now covid put a damper on flying jets.

Not sure how its going to be done though, I would think that growing more seaweed would be a way to absorb a lot of carbon, and also recycling fuel or using waste plastic as fuel

as well as restricting the number or type of vehicles per person.
the only other thing is to reconfigure the whole of suburbia, so that people work closer to where they live.

this might free up roads to be couriers and freight only, while pedestrians and pleasure riders have their own roads

and also sequester carbon using carbon cascade, or pyrolisis.

I think everyone needs to be a bit more aware of a balance of what we take from the earth and what we give back. My thought is if sabbaths are honoured, humanity would not have this problem of exhausting Gods provision.

when we breathe, we take in oxygen and give out carbon dioxide. if we burn or destroy too much green plants, this is going to result in desertification which has already happened in many areas of the world.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
hmm just thinking on this...any further thoughts

One poster mentioned car ownership might be a thing of the past but I think only in big, compact cities with good transport networks would that happen

I was thinking how in ancient times. the Silk Road functioned. They had camels and the camels would take a journey in a carvanserai and they would stop and rest and then fresh camels would take over like a relay so the camels wouldnt get exhausted - they would not trek the entire journey there.

In the Bible it talked about the camels not going through the eye of the needle. I think some people are really trying to push their camels through the eye of the needle, like look at me, Im so rich I can just pay for a ticket to heaven. Thats how the whole carbon credit emissions thing comes across as. Maybe there will at some point be a reckoning and the earth will vomit up all the stuff humans have been steadily poisoning the atmosphere with. A lot of cities that have been destroyed over time have been because of silting up of harbours (thanks sewage, industrial waste and landfill leaching) or just plain wars. But the. you look at the ruins of detroit and see the lessons of a city dependent on the motor car, once a metropolis, now an abondoned ghost town.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
You must be bored today. When you're bored you go around bumping your own threads. :p

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
But since this thread has already been bumped...

I think charging stations are going to become the norm in restaurant parking lots. It would be so convenient to park, set it charging and go in and eat while you wait for it to charge.

Not right now, of course. Not enough rolling battery power to make it profitable. But in a very few years I expect McDonald's to have at least three or four parking spaces with charge ports.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Also the problem with electric cars is most people can't afford them

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
But since this thread has already been bumped...

I think charging stations are going to become the norm in restaurant parking lots. It would be so convenient to park, set it charging and go in and eat while you wait for it to charge.

Not right now, of course. Not enough rolling battery power to make it profitable. But in a very few years I expect McDonald's to have at least three or four parking spaces with charge ports.
To me it seems hypocritical. A charging station connects to the power grid, which runs off of fossil fuels. Forcing folks into electric vehicles isn't going to make the world more "green". Especially when one looks at how rough it is on the earth to get the materials for the (expensive!) batteries and how unsafe it is for the humans who dig for those materials.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I havent yet ridden or driven an electric car (apart from a tram) as dont know anyone rich enough who has bought one though am curious about them
Newer cars these days have lots of bells and whistles and onboard computers but everyone I know still runs their car on gas.

I would have thought the bus fleet here would have gone electric but its only the trains - though I must say riding on an electric train is quite smooth though it took a long time for the track to be electrified. It used to be just a single rail but they have now double tracked it and even going underground in my city.

However rail only reaches limited areas and half the time the trains dont run due to roadworks/upgrades so you still need to catch a bus to get there.

it would be interesting to see how electric cars catch on in more tech advanced cities with the early adopters. I suspect its not easy to retrofit a city that was built for motor cars than to build a new one from scratch where its specifically designed around an electric transport system.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
with the old electric trams someone needs to get out and swap the power poles. But hazardous when it rains but it worked for the most part. My city used to have electric trams but they got swapped for trolley buses, then diesel.

Even earlier by the time rail had been finally put through, the golden age of rail was over and so most of the old rolling stock and railways became abandoned or used only for freight.

everyone mostly goes by air these days who really wants to drive hours to get anywhere. Maybe someone will invent an electric airplane. It could charge itself who knows.

I think with oil the worst part is those oil spills that happened in the sea but that was because people werent careful, however drilling isnt that great for wildlife either. I guess it was marginally better than people simply relying on trade winds and currents to get boats around?

how about teleportation. do we really need to go places? stay at home mothers chained to the house dont need to...

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
how about teleportation. do we really need to go places? stay at home mothers chained to the house dont need to...
You seem to have a low opinion of stay at home moms. Of course we need to get out. We take our kids to the library and parks and school and grocery shopping and church events. Personally, I go out and play board games with other ladies from my church...kid free. Do you realize how condescending you sound when you make a comment like that??

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
some friends have an electric bike but if the battery runs out they are useless as they cant be pedalled manually ...they are too heavy!

But then its like most electric things that stop working when batteries run out. Like calculators, when an abacus could do the same job, or electric toothbrushes...when you could just brush your teeth by using your hand

So I dont know where this mythical city is where ALL the cars are electric it would be interesting to see if there is such a place thats NOT a mini Lego town....

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
You seem to have a low opinion of stay at home moms. Of course we need to get out. We take our kids to the library and parks and school and grocery shopping and church events. Personally, I go out and play board games with other ladies from my church...kid free. Do you realize how condescending you sound when you make a comment like that??
Don't take it personally. She has a low opinion of multiple entire groups of people she doesn't really know much about, including Americans and rich people.

Near as we can figure, she develops most of her opinions from what she sees in sitcoms.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Of course we need to get out. We take our kids to the library and parks and school and grocery shopping and church events.
Don't forget doctor appointments! ;):D And dentists, ugh :giggle: