Emotionally detached?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
I have been a genuine beliver for 34 years.
Those of you who know me and read this post will know that my life has been a constant struggle, that in have suffered a lot and may understand what I'm about to say.

Those of you who don't may not understand.

Anyway this is what I struggle with.

First church I went to was Anglican.

Went to college and joined a Baptist church (freaked me out) for the last 25 years been in a NFI (NEW FRONTIER CHURCH, Basically a church that based on the early church)

What I have noticed and perplexed me is that with my current church and the Baptist church is as follows.

I see and hear people praise Jesus, shout it out, clap, dance.
I have heard people shout out "I love you Jesus"

I'm not like that, I'm quite reserved.

I tend to just sit back and talk to Jesus.
Yet even when I see people express their emotions I think to myself, "I wish I could be like that"

Be free to express my emotions as they can.

My worship in my quite times tends to be songs that focuses on what he has done for me rather than songs that worship him.

A simple example being Matt Redmans "It is well with my soul" or Dustin Kensrue Psalm 145 song.

Am I emotionally detached from God?

If so what are the consequences?

Sep 4, 2012

I'm the same way. I don't worry about it. IMO GOD's more interested in humility and an honest heart than demonstrative type stuff. If that's what people want, fine, do your thing, but don't bug me when I don't act how they think I should act. Trust that if GOD wants you to be different he will make it perfectly plain.

L

LaVieEnRose

My opinion is that a lot of the emotionalism in some churches is actually harmful to people who are not Christians or people who are reserved, because it makes them feel like they are not as good Christians as the ones who are emotional. I have actually witnessed the latter in my family members’ church, and it made me extremely sad. The person who is shy and not emotional in church is one of the sweetest and kindest people I ever knew, yet she feels not as holy as her fellow church members (she is my cousin).

I don’t think you need to worry about not being emotional. God knows you. Like the Bible says “Man looks on the outer appearance, but GOD looks at the heart.”

S

SpoonJuly

Those of you who know me and read this post will know that my life has been a constant struggle, that in have suffered a lot and may understand what I'm about to say.

Went to college and joined a Baptist church (freaked me out) for the last 25 years been in a NFI (NEW FRONTIER CHURCH, Basically a church that based on the early church)

What I have noticed and perplexed me is that with my current church and the Baptist church is as follows.

Yet even when I see people express their emotions I think to myself, "I wish I could be like that"

My worship in my quite times tends to be songs that focuses on what he has done for me rather than songs that worship him.

A simple example being Matt Redmans "It is well with my soul" or Dustin Kensrue Psalm 145 song.

Seems to me that when Jesus and Paul taught, people set quietly and listened to what was taught.
I see no evidence in Scripture that supports what is called "Worship" today.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Personally I believe much of this outward display of praise and worship is shallow and dependent on things continuing
to be OK.
But when real tribulations and trials hit hard then it is those who really talk to God and are grounded and rooted in the Word
that have the stamina and resilience to keep their joy and hope.
My church does not worship through happy clappy feel good arm waving carryon, but rather we build up each member to
understand the nature and commitment of faithfulness and walking with our Lord Jesus.
One things go bad we support one another and pray for each other.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Not at all. You are who you are, and God makes some of us less emotional. So if others are hootin' and hollerin' that's fine. You do not need to imitate them.

You will notice that among the apostles, there was quite a variety of personalities. So be comfortable with yourself and let God use you with your personality.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013

"I'm not like that, I'm quite reserved."

I suspect God knew what he was doing,
and He made you just the way he wanted you to be.

--------

Feb 7, 2017
Am I emotionally detached from God? If so what are the consequences?
Who is detached from God (whether in body, soul or spirit), don't belong to Him and, so, is in condemnation:

• "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you." (John 15.4-7).
  • "For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." (Rom 8.5-9).

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I very much doubt it. Bill, just because you do not wave your arms and shout about how you love Jesus in church does not in any way equate to you being unemotional, or emotionally detached from God. It simply means you are not as demonstrative as some. As a matter of fact, I know you to be a very emotional person. You express your emotions, and do so painstakingly to make sure there is no misunderstanding when you find yourself at odds with others. You are often willing to give others the benefit of the doubt. You have a heart that is perfectly equipped to love God, and love of your fellow man flows from your love of God. Anyone who knows you has witnessed this about you. There is nothing amiss in worshiping God contemplatively. Anglican is very close to Catholicism. I guess neither are very demonstrative :)

L

LaVieEnRose

To counter so-jesus-eu-deus

Romans 8:38-39

“For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

I think not being emotional is covered in that list, it’s pretty comprehensive. 😊

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
Sir! To worship is just to spend time being thankful and thanking Him and adoring Him and marveling at His goodness to you! If you are listening to songs that speak of what He has done for you, you ARE worshiping Him! There is no formula for worshiping Him. Others do not worship better than you because they are louder. He desires the fruit of thankful lips. He knows all about how some children are more reserved and quiet and others are more boisterous.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

“For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

I think not being emotional is covered in that list, it’s pretty comprehensive. 😊

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I am very emotional, when it comes to God. I attended very wild, loud churches the first 15 years after I was saved. I began to realize how it was shallow and no one was maturing. It was the same circus week after week. We changed to quiet, gentle churches, where the worship was on the inside, in the heart, rather than in the outside, in exhibitionistic services.

That was the turning point for good in our walk with God. Consider yourself lucky you have always had that deep, thankful worship in your heart.

Oh, and don’t compare yourself to others. Just be the person God created you to be!

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at
the revelation of Jesus Christ;
1Peter 1:13

But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.
1Peter 4:7

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour:
1Peter 5:8

2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.
6 Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.
Titus 2:

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,
12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly,
in this present world;
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people,
zealous of good works.
Titus 2:

BillG

Feb 15, 2017

It wasn't worth a response, wasting ones time.
But thank you for doing so.

R

Ralph-

Joy is a fruit of the Spirit.

How you express joy is in accordance with your personality.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
I have been feeling emotionally detached with life in general. Like I'm stagnate not going anywhere.... I don't like it. Like prayers don't go any higher than the ceiling...

I have always been one who has a hard time saying I love you Lord.... Not because I don't love Him but because if I say it then I believe I ought to live it and if I am failing how can I say I love you to God? Hypocritical in my opinion. If I'm not treating those around me the way I should then it's hard to be truthful and say I love God...

I always come back to you need to rest in Jesus and lean on Him put your hope and trust in Him to get past these emotionally detached feelings that overwhelm me at times. Because of Jesus I'm able to put on a happy face and face each day and the troubles that seem to come along. Because of Him I try to stay focused and positive and make others smile and on occasion laugh.

But inside I have my dark moments and moments of doubt and detachment... God keeps me going and for that I'm truly grateful.