Emotionally detached?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 4, 2012
FWIW, IMO some people do all that showy stuff because they don't have a deep relationship with GOD.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
FWIW, IMO some people do all that showy stuff because they don't have a deep relationship with GOD.
I would much rather sit quietly, contemplating the vagaries of life, recognizing God's hand, being grateful for all He has done for me, and others, than roll around the aisles of church, barking like a dog, and laughing hysterically ;)

Dec 12, 2013
I have been a genuine beliver for 34 years.
Those of you who know me and read this post will know that my life has been a constant struggle, that in have suffered a lot and may understand what I'm about to say.

Those of you who don't may not understand.

Anyway this is what I struggle with.

First church I went to was Anglican.

Went to college and joined a Baptist church (freaked me out) for the last 25 years been in a NFI (NEW FRONTIER CHURCH, Basically a church that based on the early church)

What I have noticed and perplexed me is that with my current church and the Baptist church is as follows.

I see and hear people praise Jesus, shout it out, clap, dance.
I have heard people shout out "I love you Jesus"

I'm not like that, I'm quite reserved.

I tend to just sit back and talk to Jesus.
Yet even when I see people express their emotions I think to myself, "I wish I could be like that"

Be free to express my emotions as they can.

My worship in my quite times tends to be songs that focuses on what he has done for me rather than songs that worship him.

A simple example being Matt Redmans "It is well with my soul" or Dustin Kensrue Psalm 145 song.

Am I emotionally detached from God?

If so what are the consequences?
Brother, God calls and saves many types. flavors and personalities to his kingdom....even within the disciples or apostles you had some that were outspoken, fiery, timid, loving, etc.....just because you are reserved in services....it does not mean you are emotionally detached.....as a matter of fact it is not even about emotions, but rather SPIRITUAL WORSHIP.......and make no mistake...spiritually does not equate to fleshly and or even emotional.....

Mar 23, 2016
While 1 Peter 3:4 is directed toward believing wives, it does show that God finds women who are meek and have a quiet spirit to be precious in His sight:

1 Peter 3:4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

The word "quiet" means calmly quiet, tranquil, steady.

I am not a showy person when it comes to my worship of God. I tend to become more contemplative.

I think God just loves that we turn to Him and want Him to be a part of our lives. If some are less reserved, that's okay with God. And if some are more reserved, that's okay with God also. He looks on the heart and He delights in us as we find our delight in Him.

Proverbs 8:17 I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I would much rather sit quietly, contemplating the vagaries of life, recognizing God's hand, being grateful for all He has done for me, and others, than roll around the aisles of church, barking like a dog, and laughing hysterically ;)
Then we have those who say that because David danced before the Ark of the Lord, dancing in the aisles is to be encouraged.

As Paul told the Corinthians, if they all started speaking in tongues at the same time, a visitor would think them mad.

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
I have been a genuine beliver for 34 years.
Those of you who know me and read this post will know that my life has been a constant struggle, that in have suffered a lot and may understand what I'm about to say.

Those of you who don't may not understand.

Anyway this is what I struggle with.

First church I went to was Anglican.

Went to college and joined a Baptist church (freaked me out) for the last 25 years been in a NFI (NEW FRONTIER CHURCH, Basically a church that based on the early church)

What I have noticed and perplexed me is that with my current church and the Baptist church is as follows.

I see and hear people praise Jesus, shout it out, clap, dance.
I have heard people shout out "I love you Jesus"

I'm not like that, I'm quite reserved.

I tend to just sit back and talk to Jesus.
Yet even when I see people express their emotions I think to myself, "I wish I could be like that"

Be free to express my emotions as they can.

My worship in my quite times tends to be songs that focuses on what he has done for me rather than songs that worship him.

A simple example being Matt Redmans "It is well with my soul" or Dustin Kensrue Psalm 145 song.

Am I emotionally detached from God?

If so what are the consequences?

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
The servant personality is both introverted and extroverted, yet the older we get the more introverted: an inner journey to enter into life. "As the outward man perishes, the inner man is renewed day by day." We Change by being content in relationship with God, thankful for what we have. The something wrong that we are tempted to build on, that makes us uncomfortable in our shell, is intended to become a pearl; to cause us to forsake everyone and everything and our own life, (however we think it should be) so that our first Love is in God: to become His disciple. Loosing our life include emotions and understanding that we can't rely on; loosing to free us from attachment of idolatry. In loosing we find: we find we are no longer looking outward for fulfilment but finding comfort of God. In secret in quiet, yet also speaks of being rewarded openly.

R

Ralph-

Bill, are they doing that in your church?????

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
YUUUge difference my friend, in worshiping God, or Jesus, in truth and spirit, and worshiping God, or Jesus, in truth, and flesh.
Sorry I don't get what you are saying

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
I have been feeling emotionally detached with life in general. Like I'm stagnate not going anywhere.... I don't like it. Like prayers don't go any higher than the ceiling...

I have always been one who has a hard time saying I love you Lord.... Not because I don't love Him but because if I say it then I believe I ought to live it and if I am failing how can I say I love you to God? Hypocritical in my opinion. If I'm not treating those around me the way I should then it's hard to be truthful and say I love God...

I always come back to you need to rest in Jesus and lean on Him put your hope and trust in Him to get past these emotionally detached feelings that overwhelm me at times. Because of Jesus I'm able to put on a happy face and face each day and the troubles that seem to come along. Because of Him I try to stay focused and positive and make others smile and on occasion laugh.

But inside I have my dark moments and moments of doubt and detachment... God keeps me going and for that I'm truly grateful.
You must be my twin

R

Ralph-

No they don't do that.

I was at a church for a while where this was happening
That's good.

I wish people would not instantly characterize all open worship churches as being crazy and out of control.

C

CandieM

It happens to me as well. The church I attend is a Pentecostal church; I like it because I feel the presence of the Holy Spirit very strongly. When the music comes on and people are yelling, singing, dancing, and clapping, if I don't, I get stared at. I'm tired of thinking about it, but I still get pressured into being more sociable when I attend, and that part has lead me to skipping church on occasions. It's not a matter of me being stuck-up. It bothers me that people think that.

I think I'll be asking God if I should attend this church anymore at all. Currently, I'm awaiting communion and a baptism. I'd like both and the church my mother attends is preparing for both, but I am not interested in being pressured into acting precisely like everyone else.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
That's good.

I wish people would not instantly characterize all open worship churches as being crazy and out of control.
I think for me in the past when I have seen what I consider weird stuff (I say weird because I haven't seen it before, like my first experience of hearing tongues in church) it has perplexed me and distracted me.

I see people in church shout out "Thank you Jesus, I love you Jesus and so on, they do so with a smile on their face.

I can't recall I've ever done that.
I tend to be reserved, I actually cry when I think of what Jesus has done for me and does for me.

I do love Jesus.
I actually resonate with what Jesuslives posted.
I do tend to focus on my negatives.
When praying I do spend time, ask God to reveal to me things I haven't done and been that I do not know about.

For many many years I would come before him, tell him all things that I did wrong then walk away with condemnation.

I have have got better with that.

One thing I don't get and find cringey is when we are asked to clap Jesus.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

I made a small change to it :D
I erased the small bits of frame on the right side that overlaid the angel's wings :)
I missed the edit time by two minutes LOL :D

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
It happens to me as well. The church I attend is a Pentecostal church; I like it because I feel the presence of the Holy Spirit very strongly. When the music comes on and people are yelling, singing, dancing, and clapping, if I don't, I get stared at. I'm tired of thinking about it, but I still get pressured into being more sociable when I attend, and that part has lead me to skipping church on occasions. It's not a matter of me being stuck-up. It bothers me that people think that.

I think I'll be asking God if I should attend this church anymore at all. Currently, I'm awaiting communion and a baptism. I'd like both and the church my mother attends is preparing for both, but I am not interested in being pressured into acting precisely like everyone else.
I get ya.

I remember once when we bought a couple to church.
They had an Anglican background.
We are say in the service, I'm asking God, let it be calm, no words of knowledge, tongues and so on.

Guess what?
Yes it all happened.

Then God says to me, "You concentrate on me and let me go about my business"

Sister if there is one thing I would encourage you to do is go get baptised.
I believe it does not save you but I do believe it lays down a spiritual marker.

It doesn't have to be a spectacle, you don't have to give a big testimony.
I have baptised many people and quite a few of them that I spoke to about baptism didn't want to be because of the pressure I have said above.

When I have said to them what I mentioned above then they were baptised.

In fact if you were sat with me and my wife and you said you wanted to be baptised we would take you over to my in-laws and baptise in the river that flows beside their garden.

The following is in Acts, Phillp and the Ethiopian

Acts 8:34-39
34 So the eunuch answered Philip and said, “I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or of some other man?” 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him. 36 Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”
37 Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”
And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”
38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. 39 Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing.

You don't have to wait for baptism or wait to take communion.

I hope I don't add to any pressure.
The truth is there is no pressure being in Jesus

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Thanks everyone for responding.
Thanks for your honesty and encouragement.

At the end of the day there is one thing we should always remember.

God loves us as much as he loves Jesus.

Jesus told us that.

Mar 23, 2016
I tend to be reserved, I actually cry when I think of what Jesus has done for me and does for me.
I think we come to Jesus in stages. When we first meet Him, we are filled with joy and that joy just flows out of us. And we love to share the joy we have in our hearts with God.

And as we come to know Him more and more over the course of time, we reveal more and more of ourselves to Him because we trust Him. So we allow Him to see the hurt and the anguish we have experienced in our lives. We allow Him to see those things within ourselves that no one knows about and sometimes we even cover up to ourselves.

I believe when we come to Jesus with unveiled hearts, we end up flat on our faces before Him.

And that is not to say that the joy we feel is not real and true spiritual joy, or that we should not worship Him with joy because we have been delivered from darkness and we are now citizens of the Kingdom.

It's just that it's okay to cry those tears of joy because we have been delivered from darkness and we are now citizens of the Kingdom.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
I think we come to Jesus in stages. When we first meet Him, we are filled with joy and that joy just flows out of us. And we love to share the joy we have in our hearts with God.

And as we come to know Him more and more over the course of time, we reveal more and more of ourselves to Him because we trust Him. So we allow Him to see the hurt and the anguish we have experienced in our lives. We allow Him to see those things within ourselves that no one knows about and sometimes we even cover up to ourselves.

I believe when we come to Jesus with unveiled hearts, we end up flat on our faces before Him.

And that is not to say that the joy we feel is not real and true spiritual joy, or that we should not worship Him with joy because we have been delivered from darkness and we are now citizens of the Kingdom.

It's just that it's okay to cry those tears of joy because we have been delivered from darkness and we are now citizens of the Kingdom.
Wow wow wow.