Emotionally detached?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
You must be my twin
Well we are children of God so that makes us brother and sister in Christ.... I do a lot of thinking sometimes I stop because I don't like where it takes me and I hate to go to the doubting place I probably would be Thomas's sister in the Bible because doubts do creep in but I try and remember that it is the enemy trying to take me there and continue to hope and trust in Jesus to carry me through to the end and finish the work He started in me....

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
I guess I go to a boring church as there isn't a lot of showy stuff. We get a few raised hands and a praise the Lord but no falling out and if someone speaks in tongues it is another language such as Spanish, French etc...

I was invited to go to a picnic many years ago and I went with my young daughter and we had a nice fellowship with a girl and her husband I knew from work. After we ate we sat on blankets and they had a little service and all of a sudden someone got up and spoke what I thought was jibberish as I couldn't understand a word which was followed by someone else standing up to tell us what the other person had said. It was then I realized this must be what people call speaking in tongues.

To be truthful it scared me a little bit. Guess I'm just used to quiet and reflective worship. Singing has always been my go to form of praise to God as He gave me that talent and I'm comfortable with it.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
I guess I go to a boring church as there isn't a lot of showy stuff. We get a few raised hands and a praise the Lord but no falling out and if someone speaks in tongues it is another language such as Spanish, French etc...

I was invited to go to a picnic many years ago and I went with my young daughter and we had a nice fellowship with a girl and her husband I knew from work. After we ate we sat on blankets and they had a little service and all of a sudden someone got up and spoke what I thought was jibberish as I couldn't understand a word which was followed by someone else standing up to tell us what the other person had said. It was then I realized this must be what people call speaking in tongues.

To be truthful it scared me a little bit. Guess I'm just used to quiet and reflective worship. Singing has always been my go to form of praise to God as He gave me that talent and I'm comfortable with it.
The first time I heard tongues I thought it was evil.

R

Ralph-

The first time I heard tongues I thought it was evil.
I thought it was weird too, but did not dismiss it because I learned it's a legitimate Biblical experience. So we stayed.

Without the Bible I would have written off the tongues churches as cults. Eventually my wife received the gift.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
I thought it was weird too, but did not dismiss it because I learned it's a legitimate Biblical experience. So we stayed.

Without the Bible I would have written off the tongues churches as cults. Eventually my wife received the gift.
My wife has the gift as well, I don't.

I did stay at church for a couple of years

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Me too. I know because whenever I sing in church everybody turns around and looks at me.
Same here, when I sing people look at me as well, but not probably for the same reasons:cool:

Mar 23, 2016
I love that God tells us to just make a joyful noise and not that we have to sound like some great opera singer.

C

CandieM

I tend to be reserved, I actually cry when I think of what Jesus has done for me and does for me.
Me too. Big time.

I get ya.

I remember once when we bought a couple to church.
They had an Anglican background.
We are say in the service, I'm asking God, let it be calm, no words of knowledge, tongues and so on.

Guess what?
Yes it all happened.

Then God says to me, "You concentrate on me and let me go about my business"

Sister if there is one thing I would encourage you to do is go get baptised.
I believe it does not save you but I do believe it lays down a spiritual marker.

It doesn't have to be a spectacle, you don't have to give a big testimony.
I have baptised many people and quite a few of them that I spoke to about baptism didn't want to be because of the pressure I have said above.

When I have said to them what I mentioned above then they were baptised.

In fact if you were sat with me and my wife and you said you wanted to be baptised we would take you over to my in-laws and baptise in the river that flows beside their garden.

The following is in Acts, Phillp and the Ethiopian

Acts 8:34-39
34 So the eunuch answered Philip and said, “I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or of some other man?” 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him. 36 Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”
37 Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”
And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”
38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. 39 Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing.

You don't have to wait for baptism or wait to take communion.

I hope I don't add to any pressure.
The truth is there is no pressure being in Jesus
I can't speak on behalf of the preacher of my mother's church. I can't sit here and say that he isn't going to pressure me into saying anything or expect such-and-such from me. It's a very uncomfortable thought. I don't want to be in any situation that causes me pressure ─ psychologically, I can't handle that ─ and I wish it were possible for me to be baptized by a female. I have my issues.

Thank you for your reply. ♥

Apr 15, 2017
I would not say someone is emotionally detached if they do not shout out loud at Church, or sing loud, or run around the Church.

I do not get loud at Church, but will still sing, pray, and worship.

But I do not like attention, and arrogance, and for people to notice me, which to me is a moral thing, because I think the world wants attention, and for people to think they are something special, and it can be that way at Church, which is the wrong motive, and I do not want to be that way.

The Pharisees liked to do things in the sight of people because they wanted the people to think they were great men of God, but Jesus said they have their reward, for they loved the praises of men more than the praises of God.

Some people in the Church may be sincere, but some might be putting on a show so that people will think they are special, especially in Churches that are relaxed in morals, for the flesh is there more.

The world suffers from what I call cribitis, or the baby crib syndrome, for even though they left the baby crib they still carry that attitude with them, wah, notice me, give me attention, and I am sure some people that go to Church still have the baby crib attached to their back, and oh boy, the world sure has the baby crib attached to their back their whole life.

I would not call it emotionally detached, but some people may not like attention, and for people to notice them, which it could be low self esteem, but it could also be a moral issue with them for they think it is not right for their motivation for worship, or what they do in life, to be for wanting attention, and for people to think they are special.

For I do not like that attitude among the world where they want attention, and for people to think they are special, for I do not think it is right, and not the moral thing to do, so at Church my motivation is not to want attention, and for people to think I am special, but I am there for God and think my worship is fine, even though I do not act as loud, or outgoing as some other people.

Some people are shy for whatever reason so they are not loud because they do not want people to notice them, but those that are loud might be sincere and not want attention, but some may and that is why they are loud, as much as I would not want to believe that.

But that ole' cribitis affects many people, far too many people, making the world motivated by selfishness, and arrogance, and wanting attention.

The world is one big show and tell, which is another thing the world does not get rid of from a child at school all through their life.

There may be people in Church putting on a show, but we could have a problem letting the shyness of the flesh for whatever reason get in the way of submitting to the Spirit, but then everybody can worship at their own level as long as they worship, but not everybody is as loud, which these people that are not as loud may be loud at a different setting, say if it was outdoors with a crowd of 50,000 people for they would not be noticed as much, if at all.

I would not say emotionally detached, and do not feel bad as if you do not think you do not measure up to other people's worship, for look at Peter and how he acted compared to the other disciples, and how much outgoing he was then them, and desirous to follow Jesus, which is why the keys to the kingdom were given to Him, but John is known as they disciple that Jesus loved, which He was very close to John, and John was the only one to get caught up in the spirit when he received the book of Revelation.

So some people can be very outgoing and loud at Church, and people think they are a great person of God, but then the ones who are not as loud, and more quiet in the Church may be closer to God.

For God knows the heart and how sincere a person is and being loud and outgoing at Church does not mean they are more sincere than someone who is more quiet, although sometimes it can mean they are more sincere.

It is like the Bible calls Mary blessed, but Jesus said that anybody that does the will of God is as blessed as Mary, and Paul said he is the less that the least of all the saints, although both figures were great, and Moses could not enter the promise land, but Joshua, and David was a great king and after the heart of God, but Solomon his son was the wisest king ever, and the richest, and so forth.

The Bible says have a meek and quiet spirit which is in the sight of God of great price.

People's worship, and praise at Church may be alright, do not let someone that is running around the Church like the Flash, and clapping with the force of the Hulk clap knocking people down, and yelling out loud, make you think that you are not measuring up.

The same as God gives the saints different talents, and everyone will have a burden different according to what they can handle, and temptation not above what they can bear, which would be different from each other, for God knows that people have different levels that they operate, and some may do little, and some may do a lot.

A person knows whether they are sincere or not when they worship God at Church, and some people may think they lack in worship, and participation at Church, but do they think that because they think they are letting God down, or do they think they are looking bad in the eyes of the people for not being loud, and more outgoing at Church, which would be the wrong motivation.

So are many people at Church that are loud and outgoing like the Pharisees and want people to notice them, and are some going along only because they do not want to look out of place, so maybe the ones who appear shy and do not like attention, but are still sincere are doing a good thing.

Loud, outgoing, reserved, shy, some are sincere, and some are not, which it is like people that say you got to watch out for the quiet guy when concerning fighting, but you also got to watch out for the loud guy too.