Ephesians 2:5-10 WE HAVE FOUND FAVOR WITH GOD

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
God has shown us His favor.

I always notice the word, the pronouns, the adjectives--that tell you who you are. You know, 'we' and 'us' and 'ye' have a tremendous difference from 'them' and 'those. We is in the family, them is in somebody else's family--in the case, the devil's kids.

"Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, by grace ye are saved; And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them" (Ephesians 2:5-10).

Christ ain't go no cancer, He's not cutting you out once you are in . . . You are in His body . . . you are perfect! The new man is perfect. As a matter of fact, I don't hardly get it. Sometimes I read this. God, You are going to make me sit in heavenly places? As a Catholic I would have crawled on glass to get there. But it says, "He MADE me!" Why? To remove all doubt. And that new person which He made of me is in the body of Christ RIGHT NOW! That is your position. That is your standing. We stand in the Lord Jesus Christ. But what changes? It's the body down here--that is the state. And Christians don't know that and that is why they are going crazy. And they are either giving in entirely to the flesh, or they getting so deep in the spirit that you can't find them.

Because they don't know doctrine!

Didn't the Bible just tell you that He made you to sit? That's what He said. Believe what He said! That's a good thing, isn't it?

And look what else He goes on to say in verse 7 . . . We are talking about the favor of God to us.

We're talking about the favor of God to us, it wasn't because of our goodness--it's because of what God's done for us. Yea, I know . . . 'favor' . . . isn't used in the verse, but kindness is--so work with me, m'kay?

"That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus" (Ephesians 2:7).

And then there is the passage for those that think they are good enough to work . . .

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9).

And in case anyone doesn't know what a gift it, He explains it . . . "NOT OF WORKS! LEST ... ANY ... MAN ... SHOULD ... BOAST!"

I mean for you to give your kid a gift at Christmas or birthday and let them get all excited, and then you take it away and say, "I need five bucks!" That kid, man . . . I don't know . . . matter he'll grow up to be a serial killer or something. You wouldn't give nobody a gift and then charge them! That's not a gift! So that's why God right there in verse 9 says "Not of works, lest any man should boast!" If we worked for heaven it wouldn't be heaven any more--it would be a living hell--everyone would be comparing, right? Everyone would be comparing what they did to get up there, and what boasting!

It's not going to be like that.

And then in verse 13: "But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ."

Blood! That's what washes you, that's what cleanses you, that's what purifies your conscience. It's like I said before, as you grow in the Lord--you start to notice things. When the aged saints talk to you--listen a little bit. It took me a long time to figure out--you know, you go an sin--say something wrong, do something wrong and you feel so bad. And the Holy Spirit puts you under conviction, and the devil says you are a mess--how can you do that if you are saved? And then you go through all that stuff, right? And then you finally turn to God and say, "I'm sorry!"

And the Blood of Jesus Christ does something with your conscience, because it's like the peace of God comes in. It's like that's already been dealt with. And you keep serving God. How in the world can you keep serving God? Because your conscience has been purged by the Blood of the Lord Jesus Christ--He is our Advocate. You go to Him and do what the Bible tells you to do and you will be fine down here on the planet earth. Your flesh will do what all flesh does--it rebels against this Book and the Holy Ghost. And when you know that, you start to get some power from the Holy Spirit to tell this old flesh what to do. And that is how you grow in the Lord and maintain it. It's amazing.

"For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father" (Ephesians 2:18).

Note the capital S in Spirit. Not our human spirit, but God's Spirit of promise. What does that mean? It means that we can "come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." BOLDLY! We know Who God is. He says, "Come in boldly." Simply in other words, "Come unto me!" To do what? TO OBTAIN MERCY! Because we need it. We are in the flesh. We are in this world.

As we think of the Favor of God, you think of the Father's love for us . . . it's just an amazing thing.

- We are assured of heaven, according to Scripture.
- We can know His presence, because of His Blood.
- We can communicate with Him freely and boldly, because of His Spirit.

"Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession" (Hebrews 4:14).

The Bible instructs us not to lose hope, not to give up. You believe that He saved you? Don't let nobody rob you of that. You hold fast to that . . . don't let nobody rock your boat.

Jesus Christ our Lord knows what we are going through . . .

"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin" (Hebrews 4:15).

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
Which leads to our privilege.

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need" (Hebrews 4:16).

That's your privilege! That's what God did for us. Not because you're good--but because God's good. He put you in His family. Is God good? Yea, God's good . . . ALL THE TIME! What does that mean? ALL THE TIME!

- When you are going through really bad, shaky times . . . He is still good!
- When you get cancer . . . He is still good!
- When you lose a baby . . . He is still good!

It's easy to say--but it's the truth. He is still good! He has not changed a bit! And when you realize that, you can go through things a whole lot better.

Therefore, He is not like what when I was brought up in religion. I thought God was an ogre, just waiting to beat me down. Just an amazing thing. It changes when we have the Bible.

And then you look at verse 16 again, because we have the Lord Jesus Christ as our High Priest, as our elder brother, as our God, as a friend that "sticketh closer than a brother," we have access to heaven. We have immediate resources. We have the mercy and grace that we need. Who said? God said. Not some preacher. God said. God uses preachers as a mouthpiece, but you got the Book. If you've got a King James Bible, you got the Book!

And as you read the Book, you get the same information that the preacher gets when He gets the message from God. So the whole point is that it is never about being good enough. How can you be good enough? You were not good enough to get saved. Yet you do good works because you are saved. Because you want to do good stuff. Why are you frustrated? Because we like to do good things, we are perfectionists--we want to do it good. I know that, God is appreciative--but don't burn yourself out on that stuff--you might be doing it in the flesh. You need God to fulfill your destiny down here. You need Him--you got to have Him! Otherwise you are like a humanist, walking around as though the God is yourself. Man, that's a bummer for a Christian to get to that place. Because God will have to take you to places you don't want to go to go to realize that He is God and you are not. It's an amazing thing.

So, it was never about being good enough. It has always been about God's goodness, God's grace, God's saving us as individuals. What a blessing. It was never about your family pedigree, your royal blood line or name. It has always been about you as an individual surrendered to God, and willing to glorify His name. So, don't let your life be business as usual. Find your potential in Christ and use it for His glory. Sit--learn--and then you can walk. And then when the stuff hits the fan you can stand. You can't stand if you don't know the Book. People don't know the Book because they are rushing so fast that they don't want to learn it.

You need to think about letting that new man strengthen and the old man decrease. "Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

If you are here today and you don't know the Lord Jesus as your personal Saviour--you never had that encounter--where you knew you were lost and He found you. You never had that crying out to God and saying, "God, be merciful to me a sinner." Sometimes people just cry, "Oh God!" and their willingness spoke more than the words they could ever speak--and God saved them--because it is an act of the will to believe in what He said. If you have that down--now it's a battle--we won the war, but it is still a battle. A daily battle. If you are married, my goodness, you have those battles.

I mean, if you ain't got God's power, it ain't working, Christian. Because He wants to show you that you are nothing without Him. You were nothing before you got saved, and you are nothing after you got saved--but with the right attitude that will get you everything, because the New Man will be running the show, because if you are living in the Spirit, you are not fulfilling the lusts of the flesh.

So remember, you're never good enough.

Because once He comes in He saves sinners, He brings man and wife together, He brings kids back home. God does miraculous stuff. There is nothing that we can do--but He can do everything! So we need to continue to pray, and to get closer to God--like the ladies have been doing, extra. And we men need to swallow our pride and get our hearts right. We need to realize that God is good. All the time God is good!

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9).

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Didn't the Bible just tell you that He made you to sit? That's what He said. Believe what He said! That's a good thing, isn't it?

I think if you consider it........"made" in this instance does not mean "forced," rather "created."

Just saying.........

If, as you appear to be using it is true, then there is no Free Will..........for God "made" us do something. I'm going with free will on this one......... :)

As for the pronouns........we, us, they, them........in the Scripture in the OP, God wants ALL people to be saved.......right?

On a sidebar: Your recent Threads appear to be published to support the OSAS theology of the Baptists.......right?

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois

I think if you consider it........"made" in this instance does not mean "forced," rather "created."

Just saying.........

If, as you appear to be using it is true, then there is no Free Will..........for God "made" us do something. I'm going with free will on this one......... :)

As for the pronouns........we, us, they, them........in the Scripture in the OP, God wants ALL people to be saved.......right?

On a sidebar: Your recent Threads appear to be published to support the OSAS theology of the Baptists.......right?
This is something that happens after we are saved so it has nothing to do with our 'free will' . . . as we have already surrendered that will into His keeping. The concept of 'made us' is not a question of being forced, but of a past action with continual action. It is not as if we did not want to be seated in heavenly places in Christ Jesus . . . actually we don't know a thing about it, until we read the Book of Ephesians and God tells us about it.

OSAS is generally a derogatory acronym created by those that insist salvation is not eternal. I don't know why you think my 'recent' threads support eternal security. I'm here to tell you that they ALL do.

God is only faithful to keep you for all eternity when you have been faithful to admit you are a hell-deserving sinner and come to the Cross for the washing of the Blood of Christ and the sealing of the Holy Spirit.

In context of most of Paul's writing the we and us refers to those already saved while the theys and thems are those that have not yet come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Yes, God truly desires that all men be saved . . . but not all will be saved.