Esau Killed Nimrod?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Well I can say for sure, it is not an inspired account, as it gets the birth of Abraham wrong. I remember researching this, and coming across that one problem. While it compliments the Genesis account in many ways, it does contradict Genesis at some points and so I can completely rule it out being in any way equal to scripture.

So the real question for me is, does it have any historical value, like for instance Josephus' works (Antiquities of the Jews) which also corroborate and complement much of what Genesis records? I'm not certain at this point. Author Ken Johnson has written some books on this subject you may want to check out. One is "ancient post-flood history". In it he also covers pre-flood history, and he believe Jasher has some historical value. But he also is very clear that the document we have today is by no means inspired.

I think it would do you well to research this more. I would just warn about going off the deep end like some others I know, and lifting this document up as scripture. Many christians have done this, and they've completely lost their minds and all discernment. I think there's a balance. Scripture is scripture, and all other historical documents must be read with a discerning mind.
Besides the prior knowledge you have we are on the same page. Thank you for the post. And that book got pretty good reviews, ty for that recommendation also.

I think I have added interest in this because I always wondered about Esau selling his birthright, there was virtually no explanation, "Jasher" provides an explanation.... made me curious. and a big ty for bringing up the contradictions, that is telling IMO.

C

Calminian

Besides the prior knowledge you have we are on the same page. Thank you for the post. And that book got pretty good reviews, ty for that recommendation also.

I think I have added interest in this because I always wondered about Esau selling his birthright, there was virtually no explanation, "Jasher" provides an explanation.... made me curious. and a big ty for bringing up the contradictions, that is telling IMO.
Its one of those numbers things, that didn't add up (in fact I forgot the details of my study). That said, there are things in this document that do seem to work with Genesis, and at least are compatible. So I like you am curious where these accounts came from. Could they be based in real historical tradition? Could the document be based on an actual historical document? That would be kind of neat.

Josephus works also contain some pre-flood historical accounts that are quite interesting. I think these corroborating documents and works should be looked into, and I think they can offer some insights.

May 15, 2013
I think your dates are flawed .... or something

Nimrod was on the earth long before Esau .... much longer than and acquaintance could be possible
Their lifespan was around 400 years and so Esau could of have killed Nimrod. Each generations lifespan was shortening, like Abram's lifespan was around 200. But during the time of Adam's generation, their lifespan was around 900.

Genesis 6:3 Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”

This verse is saying that God is going to shortened their lifespan around to 120 years, and which means that He is going to slowly decline it each generation after generations, like He slowly declined the size of the serpents to each generation they slowly declined in sizes until they was brought down to its belly.

K

Kerry

Man I got to get my waders for this thread cause they crap is deep.

K

Kerry

Nimrod lived long before Esau was born and even Abraham so it is preposterous to say that Esau killed Nimrod.

C

Calminian

Nimrod lived long before Esau was born and even Abraham so it is preposterous to say that Esau killed Nimrod.
Well how long did Nimrod live? And how long did his fellow generation live? Look at the lifespans back then. If you believe they were literal without gaps (which I do), then it's actually possible Nimrod was still alive during Esau's life. Shem was alive when Isaac was born, and Arphaxad his son outlived him. Arphaxad and Nimrod were cousins, and we don't know who was the older of the 2. Nimrod could have been born several decades later. That along isn't an issue for me.

C

Calminian

Man I got to get my waders for this thread cause they crap is deep.
Well it sound like what you're struggling with is Genesis rather than Jasher. It appears you have trouble taking the genealogies and lifespans literally, which is why you're struggling with this one particular issue. But this really isn't about Jasher at all, but your overall view of biblical authority.

May 15, 2013

Just Genesis : Peleg: Time of Division

I'd noticed that they started having children when they had reached the age of 30; and so Nimrud was 7 generations from Terah, and Abraham was the only one that started having kids at a late age, about 3 generations; and so Nimrud had to be around the age of 300 years old and which Nimrud had came from the generation that their life expectancy was around the age of 400. And the Mesopotamian's stories were to close to the Bible stories as if they had stolen the tales from Hebrews and put claims that it has originated from them, and that God was with them, and I also believe that the Samaritans were the descendants of Nimrud.

38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”

39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us. 41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013

Just Genesis : Peleg: Time of Division

I'd noticed that they started having children when they had reached the age of 30; and so Nimrud was 7 generations from Terah, and Abraham was the only one that started having kids at a late age, about 3 generations; and so Nimrud had to be around the age of 300 years old and which Nimrud had came from the generation that their life expectancy was around the age of 400. And the Mesopotamian's stories were to close to the Bible stories as if they had stolen the tales from Hebrews and put claims that it has originated from them, and that God was with them, and I also believe that the Samaritans were the descendants of Nimrud.

38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”

39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us. 41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.
Thank you for the info, will add it to the study!