Eternal torment VS Annihilation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
U

UnderGrace

I don’t get why some argue His love and His wrath must be equal in measure [human logic]. That is wouldn’t be fair for punishment not to be eternal torture for man. Matthew 20:1-16 shows His definition of fair is His own.

There are also 2 variations so the water gets a little tough reading through the thread: Conditionalism and Annihilationism.
They are not the exact same, Wikipedia defines them as:

Annihilationism: says man is born with natural immortality which is destroyed when thrown into the lake.
Conditionalism: says the gift of immortality is attached to belief in Christ and the human soul is mortal, eventually being destroyed in the lake.

I have seen it argued myself that some early church fathers held a view of Annihilationism/Conditionalism. Research this yourselves verse unequivocally accepting the current world view, [which appears to have came from the reformation?].
  • Justin Martyr, ~155-167AD, Dialogue with Tyrypho, Ch. 6 & 7
  • Irenaeus of Lyons, ~130-202AD, Against Heresies Book II, Ch. 34
    • Speaks of the rich man and Lazarus
  • Arnobius of Sicca, ~253-327AD, Against the Heathen Book II, Sec. 14, 15,35,36,62
  • Athanasius of Alexandira, ~293-373AD, On the Carnation of the Word, Ch. 1, Sec. 4
Why was the Tree of Life hidden and then is given in new Eden (Gen. 3:22-24, Rev. 22) if man is already born immortal?

I'm not set in stone on either side; but do admit I lean... one has to make assumptions either way.
Upon rereading this are you then thinking punishment and then annihilation.
That to me makes no sense why punish what is annihilated?

Apr 3, 2019
Not that I have an anvil in this debate, but we need to understand this "for ever and ever" motif in the book of revelation in regards to how it was used in the OT in regards to Idumea:

(Isa 34:10 It shall not be quenched night or day; Its smoke shall ascend forever. From generation to generation it shall lie waste; No one shall pass through it forever and ever )

(Rev 14:11 “And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.” )

U

UnderGrace

Okay so I did some research....

The conditional immortality people believe.....
When a person dies he or she returns to the dust and the spirit (or breath of life) returns to God (Psalm 104:29).
The Bible often uses the imagery of death as “sleep”, a sleep that only God can awake us from (e.g. Job 3:13; 14:12, Psalm 13:3; 22:29, Daniel 12:2, 1 Cor 15:20).
Source

So if the spirit returns to God and dust goes to dust what is there to destroy....still makes no sense?

Skyline

Jun 13, 2019

When a person dies he or she returns to the dust and the spirit (or breath of life) returns to God (Psalm 104:29).
The Bible often uses the imagery of death as “sleep”, a sleep that only God can awake us from (e.g. Job 3:13; 14:12, Psalm 13:3; 22:29, Daniel 12:2, 1 Cor 15:20).
Source

So if the spirit returns to God and dust goes to dust what is there to destroy....still makes no sense?
I agree, a lot of different views... I think I understand that articles argument; “after what you described there is the resurrection. All will be raised (John 5:28) and two outcomes: 1) immortality or eternal life 2) second death [punishment]”

“Conditional immortality presents these two fates literally. One is life and the other is death. The second death equals destruction (Matt 7:13; 10:28, Phil 3:19, 2 Thess 1:9, 2:3), or perishing (Luke 13:3,5; John 3:16; Rom 2:12; 2 Peter 3:9) but not eternal torment. This is not to say that the punishment is not eternal (since eternal destruction is indeed eternal), only that it is not eternal torture.”

U

UnderGrace

I agree, a lot of different views... I think I understand that articles argument; after what you described there is the resurrection. All will be raised (John 5:28) and two outcomes: 1) immortality or eternal life 2) second death [punishment]

“Conditional immortality presents these two fates literally. One is life and the other is death. The second death equals destruction (Matt 7:13; 10:28, Phil 3:19, 2 Thess 1:9, 2:3), or perishing (Luke 13:3,5; John 3:16; Rom 2:12; 2 Peter 3:9) but not eternal torment. This is not to say that the punishment is not eternal (since eternal destruction is indeed eternal), only that it is not eternal torture.”
Does God put the spirit back into the dust and recreate at the Resurrection?

What is there to annihilate, the dust, or the breathe He put in them or both?

Dec 12, 2013
Does God put the spirit back into the dust and recreate at the Resurrection?

What is there to annihilate, the dust, or the breathe He put in them or both?
I know that the one dude got banned for peddling annihilation......the one that started the hell thread......!!

U

UnderGrace

I know that the one dude got banned for peddling annihilation......the one that started the hell thread......!!
Yes true, there are some here who adhere to this doctrine as well, firstly, I know it does not work with scripture, just trying to understand the logic of it.

Maybe there is no logic....therein is my second mistake LOL

Dec 12, 2013
Yes true, there are some here who adhere to this doctrine as well, firstly, I know it does not work with scripture, just trying to understand the logic of it.

hahahaahaha hilarious

Crustyone

Mar 15, 2015
I believe I understand it far better than you do. "eternal destruction" does NOT mean Annihilation but "eternal ruination" or more clearly eternal torment in the Lake of Fire. If you want the truth, you will receive the truth. But it you do not want it you will not receive it.

VINE'S EXPOSITORY DICTIONARY

Destroy, Destroyer, Destruction, Destructive

A — 1: ἀπόλλυμι
(Strong's #622 — Verb — apollumi — ap-ol'-loo-mee )
a strengthened form of ollumi, signifies "to destroy utterly;" in Middle Voice, "to perish." The idea is not extinction but ruin, loss, not of being, but of well-being. This is clear from its use, as, e.g., of the marring of wine skins, Luke 5:37 ; of lost sheep, i.e., lost to the shepherd, metaphorical of spiritual destitution, Luke 15:4,6 , etc.; the lost son, Luke 15:24 ; of the perishing of food, John 6:27 ; of gold, 1 Peter 1:7 . So of persons, Matthew 2:13 , "destroy;" Matthew 8:25 , "perish;" Matthew 22:7 ; 27:20 ; of the loss of well-being in the case of the unsaved hereafter, Matthew 10:28 ; Luke 13:3,5 ; John 3:16 (ver. 15 in some mss.); 10:28; 17:12; Romans 2:12 ; 1 Corinthians 15:18 ; 2 Corinthians 2:15 , "are perishing;" 2 Corinthians 4:3 ; 2 Thessalonians 2:10 ; James 4:12 ; 2 Peter 3:9 .

If people were going to be tormented forever they would not die. Isaiah 66:24 says we will see dead bodies or carcasses in the lake of Fire. It doesn't use the term Lake of Fire, but the description is the same. Also the term unquenchable fire, used for the fire in the Lake of Fire, is also used in Jeremiah 17:27 to describe the fire that will burn the gates of Jerusalem if the residents bring a load through the gates on the Sabbath. It is also used in Ezekiel 20:47-48 to describe a fire that will consume a forest. These fires didn't last forever and I get the impression that the Lake of Fire will only last as long as it takes for the bodies to be consumed, but that will be a long time, considering the millions or billions of bodies that will go there. The Hebrew word for unquenchable fire is the same in all three instances, also.

I suspect that the interpretations of a fire that burns forever are interpreted by people who believe that they will last forever. From what I have read of the greek words that are interpreted as such they can also mean an age or a certain length of time. The idea that Satan, the false prophet, the beast and those who take the mark of the beast will be burned day and night forever and forever could only mean that they will suffer torment day and night for a time and the others may only be tormented for a part of one day.

Only God and Jesus are immortal. [1 Timothy 6:14-16 (14 to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords,16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.)] [From the New International Version (NIV) bible] If God and Jesus are the only ones that are truly immortal then I suspect that God can remove the immortality from Satan as easily as he gives it to us and Satan can be destroyed by the fire like anyone else.

Crustyone

Mar 15, 2015
I forgot to mention that not all will be resurrected. Daniel 12:2 says that many, not all, will be brought out of the dust.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

You used to really hate that people think God torments people
in literal fire for eternity, believing it was just terrible
Catholic dogma that has never been put in the trash can
where it belongs. Where was your logic then? No, don't
bother answering. It was a rhetorical question ;)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

Source

How to describe the resurrection? Do you believe that God is incapable of resurrecting the dead? Are we told how He will do it? No, only that He will. Do you think Jesus was just blowing hot air to warn people to fear Him Who could destroy both body and soul in hell? Makes one wonder, really! Your questions are illogical. If someone else was asking them, I could perhaps accept that they were made in good faith. But instead you say illogical things such as, utterly destroy dos not really mean, to destroy utterly. And then you wonder about the logic of others? Kind of peculiar, really :oops:

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
How does it make ANY sense that a good, loving, just and merciful God will torture and cause conscious ongoing, unending torment forever after to those who refuse Him? Considering the dead know nothing... according to Scripture. How illogical it is that some say, asleep means awake and aware, and dead means alive, and good means cruel beyond belief? Then pretend it is illogical to believe only those who eat of the True Vine attain to life ever after? And further reject the very logical conclusion that the second death is ever after? As if death were not a punishment which God promised from the first chapters of Genesis, affirmed over and over and over and over and over and over again throughout the whole of Scripture, by multiple different writers. Truly, need I wonder what blinds people that they promote the lie of Satan at the heart of the fall of man and the corruption of all creation? I think not.

Dec 12, 2013
The dead knowing nothing is indicative of what is happening on the planet.....it is not implying they are in some catatonic state of sleep........!!!!

U

UnderGrace

The dead knowing nothing is indicative of what is happening on the planet.....it is not implying they are in some catatonic state of sleep........!!!!
The story of Lazarus and the rich man refutes completely "physical ism" (no soul that continues) whether considered a story or a past reality, the over arching message is about two people who have died and are in separate places, if this was not true why would Jesus use it as an example.

Now there are other applications within the story, however, it cannot be denied that Jesus has made clear two separate places that exist for people after death.

Dec 12, 2013
The story of Lazarus and the rich man refutes completely "physical ism" (no soul that continues) whether considered a story or a past reality, the over arching message is about two people who have died and are in separate places, if this was not true why would Jesus use it as an example.

Now there are other applications within the story, however, it cannot be denied that Jesus has made clear two separate places that exist for people after death.
Fully agree.......100% and both are conscience and very aware of what is taking place............!!!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

Now there are other applications within the story, however, it cannot be denied that
Jesus has made clear two separate places that exist for people after death.
While awaiting the resurrection at the end of this age.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Fully agree.......100% and both are conscience and very aware of what is taking place............!!!
And the Lord said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers Deut 31:16a

And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers 2 Sam 7:12a

Otherwise it shall come to pass, when my lord the king shall sleep with his
fathers, that I and my son Solomon shall be counted offenders.
1 Kings 1:21

And why dost thou not pardon my transgression, and take away
my iniquity? for now shall I sleep in the dust; and thou shalt
seek me in the morning, but I shall not be.
Job 7:21

So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more,
they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.
Job 14:12

And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some
to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
Daniel 12:2

He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not dead,
but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn.
Matt 9:24

Just as they scorned the words of Jesus, who likened death to sleep...

And when he was come in, he saith unto them, Why make ye this
ado, and weep? the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth.
Mark 5:39

Again Jesus likens death to sleep.

And all wept, and bewailed her: but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth. Luke 8:52

Again Jesus likens death to sleep. I very much doubt she heard any of what was being said while she was dead.

These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus
sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
John 11:11

Jesus again likens death to sleep.

For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell
on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:
Acts 13:36

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them
also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
1 Thess 4:14

The saints are SLEEPING in Jesus. This is not talking about the dust in the ground that was their bodies.

Dec 12, 2013
And the Lord said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers Deut 31:16a

And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers 2 Sam 7:12a

Otherwise it shall come to pass, when my lord the king shall sleep with his
fathers, that I and my son Solomon shall be counted offenders.
1 Kings 1:21

And why dost thou not pardon my transgression, and take away
my iniquity? for now shall I sleep in the dust; and thou shalt
seek me in the morning, but I shall not be.
Job 7:21

So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more,
they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.
Job 14:12

And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some
to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
Daniel 12:2

He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not dead,
but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn.
Matt 9:24

Just as they scorned the words of Jesus, who likened death to sleep...

And when he was come in, he saith unto them, Why make ye this
ado, and weep? the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth.
Mark 5:39

Again Jesus likens death to sleep.

And all wept, and bewailed her: but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth. Luke 8:52

Again Jesus likens death to sleep. I very much doubt she heard any of what was being said while she was dead.

These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus
sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
John 11:11

Jesus again likens death to sleep.

For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell
on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:
Acts 13:36

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them
also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
1 Thess 4:14

The saints are SLEEPING in Jesus. This is not talking about the dust in the ground that was their bodies.
So what.......that does not indicate they are in some catatonic sleep and you can post it 10,000 times and it will not change the two following facts...

a. The words of Jesus is Luke 16
b. The fact that death is viewed as sleep....

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
So what.......that does not indicate they are in some catatonic sleep and you can post it 10,000 times and it will not change the two following facts...

a. The words of Jesus is Luke 16
b. The fact that death is viewed as sleep....
Yes, death is viewed as sleep, a state in which people are not conscious and aware. Hmmm. I back my views with Scripture only to have mere opinion oppose them. And you know what's even odder? The people who claim I do not believe the Bible even after all the Scriptures I post which support my position. What they insist I must believe is not even in the Bible. LOL