Evangelical/Protestant Hypocrisy

• Thread starter StMichaelTheArchangel
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Lo

i think this is exactly how Satan wants to waste our time. Satan wants us to fight over methods and practices, beliefs and ideologies, you know, the temporary things that don't really matter when we get to heaven.

Quote from Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz, : " i believe that the greatest trick of the devil is not to get us into some sort of evil but rather have us wasting time. this is why the devil tries so hard to get Christians to be religious. if he can sink a man's mind into habit, he will prevent his heart from engaging God"

I'm not saying this discussing is by definition 'a waste of time', if it will serve its purpose for personal and spiritual debate to study our own positions in the faith then it's all good.

plus, Christ came for us to be in unity with one another and taught us to 'love one another' . if two churches or denominations claim they have Christ yet do not wish for unity or even a middle ground with the other church then they both should think of who is really God's children.

C

Consumed

Jesus the cross and repentance. Not nothing else. The good thief was saved by the cross because he repented. The bad thief was not saved by the cross because he did not repent.
Without faith it is impossible to please God. Not Jesus and the Cross and no faith and no repentance. Faith in the shed blood and mercy of Christ (Titus 3:5).
Protestants merely believe the true church began at the Reformation, or at least that the true church was "lost" and needed to be "recovered" / "reformed"/ "restored" by the Reformers of the Protestant Reformation. But if the papacy is the Antichrist, as the Reformers all believed, and the Reformers tried to reform the papacy, you get a Reformed papacy and a Reformed Antichrist.
bro you really need to get off the "my church is the only true church" pedestal and not take words out of context for you surely dont know exactly my heart or how i think. i believe the true church started with Jesus and the apostles before man hijacked it over the last 1700 odd years and tried valiantly and at times brutally to change the simplicity of the gospel.

whether we like it or not, at the time of the reformation it was warranted to challenge just how far from the gospel and scripture man had taken "the good news" or would you, do you, agree with what was happening back then and had been for quite while and say it was by divine apostolic succession revelation that they were doing what they were then, forgetting about the 1000yrs before that

Nov 23, 2011
StMichaelTheArchangel;614473 said:
Evangelical/Protestant Hypocrisy

Thursday, April 28, 2011

"This article is from Eric Hyde, a member of the Eastern Orthodox Facebook forum. The
article is quite good, hitting important points concisely and with clarity."

Confessions of a Protestant

"Growing up in a Protestant'ish faith (non-denominational, charismatic), and having never been exposed to the Orthodox Church, I am now beginning to see some of the contradictions that I lived so long with The following is a short list:"

1.) We Protestants love to shout from the rooftops, "Return to traditional family values, return to traditional marriages," etc, yet we've been the ones who have said for the last 500 years that tradition is bad, particularly religious tradition.

2.) We smirk at those "legalistic" folk who repeat written prayers during worship, yet we have no problem repeating written songs during worship. Indeed, we have no problem with our entire salvation revolving around a pad "sinner's prayer" repeated after a minister.

3.) We mock those who have icons in their church believing that they are worshiping dumb idols made of wood, yet we take two sticks, make a cross, and place it at the highest pinnacle of churches and adore it just the same.

4.) We hold the Scripture above the liturgy, as if they are opposed to each other. Yet, the liturgy preceded the canonization of the New Testament. Never mind that one of the tests that the early church imposed on the various books that were to be considered for canonization was whether or not they contradicted the liturgy passed down by the Apostles.

5.) Some Evangelicals love to point out the problems associated with Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism's intermarriage of church and state, yet we are never more proud then when we make the false claim that America is a "Christian nation," and engage in sometimes radical political activism in the name of Christ (you know, because Christ was a huge political activist).

6.) We mock the priests who walk around in robes, yet we praise pastors who drive BMW's and hash their glistening, diamond studded, Rolex watches behind the spotlight of the pulpit.

7.) We shun the Church clergy (bishops, priests, etc.) because they claim apostolic authority (and have funny collars), yet would not dare disagree with our ordained pastors, because they...um...well, because they told us not too.

8.) We believe in a myth called "Sola Scriptura"; that Scripture alone, without tradition, is the way to know God. That is, Sola Scriptura according to either the Augustian-Calvin tradition, the Luther-Melanchthon tradition, the Seymour-Roberts-Hagin tradition, etc.

9.) We deny Mary and the Saints any room in our church services, yet we proudly proclaim that we are "surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses". I guess that so long as the "witnesses" are an abstract bunch, if we're not being specific as to exactly who they are, all is well.

10.) We look down our noses at the Orthodox for giving the highest priority to the Creeds of the Church in matters of dogma, yet we have untold number of factions within Protestantism over the very issues that the ancient Church debated and settled in the Creeds. The Creeds were formulated to protect the Church from heresy and division. The churches I grew up in could not care less about the Creeds and its no wonder that most of them now are wandering, isolated actions – sheep without a shepherd.

Confession of Dositheus, 1672 AD, Jerusalem

"Question II. Are the Scriptures plain to all Christians that read them?"

"If the Divine Scriptures were plain to all Christians that read them, the Lord
would not have commanded such as desired to obtain salvation to search the same; and Paul would have said without reason that God had placed the gift of teaching in the Church; and Peter would not have said of the Epistles of Paul they contained some things hard to be understood."

God save us; AMEN. In Erie Scott R. Harrington January 2012 AD

God bless America.

S

StMichaelTheArchangel

Confession of Dositheus, 1672 AD, Jerusalem

"Question II. Are the Scriptures plain to all Christians that read them?"

"If the Divine Scriptures were plain to all Christians that read them, the Lord
would not have commanded such as desired to obtain salvation to search the same; and Paul would have said without reason that God had placed the gift of teaching in the Church; and Peter would not have said of the Epistles of Paul they contained some things hard to be understood."

God save us; AMEN. In Erie Scott R. Harrington January 2012 AD

God bless America.

Who can deny the power of his (St Dositheus) words? As with all the rest of the Orthodox Saints.

Nov 23, 2011
bro you really need to get off the "my church is the only true church" pedestal and not take words out of context for you surely dont know exactly my heart or how i think. i believe the true church started with Jesus and the apostles before man hijacked it over the last 1700 odd years and tried valiantly and at times brutally to change the simplicity of the gospel.

whether we like it or not, at the time of the reformation it was warranted to challenge just how far from the gospel and scripture man had taken "the good news" or would you, do you, agree with what was happening back then and had been for quite while and say it was by divine apostolic succession revelation that they were doing what they were then, forgetting about the 1000yrs before that

The simplicity of the Gospel? How about this for the "Gospel"?. "It (faith alone) is so because I, Herr Doctor Luther, say it is so!". What's simple or Evangelical about that? That's pure egoism!

C

Consumed

The simplicity of the Gospel? How about this for the "Gospel"?. "It (faith alone) is so because I, Herr Doctor Luther, say it is so!". What's simple or Evangelical about that? That's pure egoism!
how about this brother,thank God He used Luther to expose the lie that one can pay to have their sins absolved, God had to use someone

Nov 23, 2011
how about this brother,thank God He used Luther to expose the lie that one can pay to have their sins absolved, God had to use someone
The Orthodox Church preached against indulgences long before Martin Luther did. The Church did not believe (does not believe) that we can be saved by paying money to anyone.
Luther preached that the pope of Rome is the Antichrist. Then he tried to reform the pope of Rome. What you end up in Lutheranism is a Reformed Antichrist theology. The words of the pope are mouthed by Luther "and the Son". Against John 15:26. Making shipwreck of The Faith: Evangelicals and Roman Catholics Together speaking against the simplicity of Christ in John 15:26, which says "who proceeds from the Father".

C

Consumed

martha martha