Evangelizing people from dark/gothic/emo background

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SoulWeaver

Senior Member
Oct 25, 2014
4,889
2,528
113
I had inside for a while that I'd write a post on this and today is the day.
As I used to be in such a "lifestyle" before I was a Christian, maybe what I write will be useful to you if you have someone around being trapped in this subculture...

A lot Christians approach people in these subcultures with judging their appearance and demanding change, even repelling them from attending church when they're trying to find God. This is wrong approach because the root of the dark appearance needs to be understood and resolved. The reason they find things like blackness (not just plain simplicity of black color but as in darkness), skulls, vampires and such attractive is because death is in them, this is being solved with the gospel, love, prayer warfare and Jesus taking over... not by judgment. Death needs to be taken out of them, and once this is done, aesthetics and decorum of death will no longer be appealing to them and they will themselves throw it away Even when they become a Christian, let God finish this work which He started. I did not immediately change my color scheme when I became a Christian and have somebody been pressing me and judging me about it, it would probably have created resistance. God talked to me about that... dismiss this, it's not of Me, dismiss that, not of Me either, and chipping one by one away, gradually He led me where I should be (and I'm still on that lifelong journey). So it will be most profitable to look to build them up in the Word and encourage them to read the Word and have active relationship with God. They most likely will not suddenly change in a day, they will transition. Let God work and pray for them to be set free.

Another important thing which one can conclude from the music in these subcultures is that there is a lot of unprocessed anger, pain, sadness, and whole genres spin around processing negative emotions. Music is only one of the ways they cope with pain. There is a lot of wallowing in depression, self-harm, suicide promotion. A whole lot of emotional maladaptations because they dont know Christ and therefore they dont know better. Speak truth in love, but dont get preachy and judge them. Remember they dont know better. Tell them it's not the way and stand by them and tell them you love them though. You can notice that these subcultures use imagery of vampires, angels, supernatural, gods and goddesses, fairies, demons, zombies. They are often fascinated with eternal life and what is "behind" this fleshly curtain and they might wonder is there afterlife. This might make them receptive for learning about spiritual reality and truth so speak up on this as led by God.

Please love them and be there for them. Love has such a changing power. You might be the only Jesus that shined light into their life. Everybody loves love and wants to be around loving people. That will mostly make them ask you about God. Just sharing because this was what God sown back in the day to help me understand and draw me to Him... judgment never helped.
 
I can't say I have been heavily under these labels, but they did bring some sort of influence as I was growing up and even not so long ago I would find myself loving to listen to depressive things along with some other things mentioned in your post. I can't speak for everyone, but I do think it stems from some sort of loss (and not necessarily the death type) and some become fascinated with the cultures and find themselves to relate through such experiences they had at some point in their life, so it starts to grow on them. Some grow out of it and others may not. Pessimistic mentality doesn't always help, either.
 
I can't say I have been heavily under these labels, but they did bring some sort of influence as I was growing up and even not so long ago I would find myself loving to listen to depressive things along with some other things mentioned in your post. I can't speak for everyone, but I do think it stems from some sort of loss (and not necessarily the death type) and some become fascinated with the cultures and find themselves to relate through such experiences they had at some point in their life, so it starts to grow on them. Some grow out of it and others may not. Pessimistic mentality doesn't always help, either.

You are correct that in many - maybe all - cases what draws people to that music is unprocessed emotions and it is a way of coping. A bad way though as it teaches people to be trapped in unforgiveness, depression, etc. They need the Good News. Getting dressed in a certain way is yet another way to express/cope with negative feelings, as well as achieve a sense of belonging and adorn self to make life and self more acceptable because fellowship with God is lacking.
 
Well I am a Christian and I can say at times listening to "darker" music can help me. Not as in bad music or anything, just hard-hitting music if you know what I mean. It all just depends on my mood. I think you are right, listening to music like that seems to be a coping thing because I do it myself when I am in that mood to listen to certain music.
 
I can't say much as to whether or not it helps a person to get depression, I think if anything a person may have had that before turning to such things. Just like substance abuse or some sort of addiction can be linked once a person develops depression as their way of coping if they didn't seek any treatments or the treatments aren't enough. Sadly, this topic may also be debatable since I've seen modern day people disagree with any links between addictions and mental illnesses and that anyone with addiction problems 'did it to themselves by choice'. There's truth, but there's also things deeper than that too.

Anyway, sorry to go off topic. Thanks for bringing this topic up.
 
The goth/emo culture seems to have a very self-centered way about it, a sort of narcissism even ─ all the more reason to exorcise it. Great post, SW. :)
 
Interesting topic, I lost a friend to suicide who hand been in this dark music culture with all the skulls and such. Its odd because as I seen my friend slipping away from Christ and a more spiritual life, they seemed to be drawn to these very images of death, such as the skulls and such? And drawn to people who had these things of death....I really didn't understand and still don't understand the spiritual power of these type things?
 
Interesting topic, I lost a friend to suicide who hand been in this dark music culture with all the skulls and such. Its odd because as I seen my friend slipping away from Christ and a more spiritual life, they seemed to be drawn to these very images of death, such as the skulls and such? And drawn to people who had these things of death....I really didn't understand and still don't understand the spiritual power of these type things?


Many of these influences and lifestyle are contrary to what God teaches. A person can claim to be both Gothic and Christian, but you would of course see one side more than the other and at some points you may not even know that they are Christian until they tell you (that's if they still hold onto the belief of Jesus).
 
Good post, I wonder if this scripture reflects what your saying?...
2 Corinthians 5: 16-17
So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:[SUP]a[/SUP] The old has gone, the new is here!
 
Good post, I wonder if this scripture reflects what your saying?...
2 Corinthians 5: 16-17
So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:[SUP]a[/SUP] The old has gone, the new is here!

Brother breno785au, I wonder have you even read what I posted when you wonder that? :(
 
Brother breno785au, I wonder have you even read what I posted when you wonder that? :(

Well yeah, we don't judge people by their external appearance yeah? But learn to love them because they are precious, whether in a nice suit or covered in tats and black clothes.
 
Well yeah, we don't judge people by their external appearance yeah? But learn to love them because they are precious, whether in a nice suit or covered in tats and black clothes.

Amen. I thought you meant that I preached that dark stuff should be left alone and not discerned or changed... God forbid.
What I've said was speak truth in love and to not beat them on the head with their appearance and to point them towards God in all things, Who will bring about their change from the inside out. I think I've got BDF phobia... where no matter what you say people accuse you of licentiousness unless you say obedience 5 times per post... :eek:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mitspa
Amen. I thought you meant that I preached that dark stuff should be left alone and not discerned or changed... God forbid.
What I've said was speak truth in love and to not beat them on the head with their appearance and to point them towards God in all things, Who will bring about their change from the inside out. I think I've got BDF phobia... where no matter what you say people accuse you of licentiousness unless you say obedience 5 times per post... :eek:

Amen, this is something i'm wanting to learn more and more.
 
Interesting topic, I lost a friend to suicide who hand been in this dark music culture with all the skulls and such. Its odd because as I seen my friend slipping away from Christ and a more spiritual life, they seemed to be drawn to these very images of death, such as the skulls and such? And drawn to people who had these things of death....I really didn't understand and still don't understand the spiritual power of these type things?

So sorry to hear about your friend Mitspa...
The whole subculture is strongly demon filled. Like Mark chapter 5 (or Luke 8), the man living in tombs who was crying day and night and cutting himself with stones (the fact he had no razor doesnt make this less applicable for today), filled with rage, untameable. This same unclean spirit (Legion) fills these lifestyles and this is mostly the power behind them.

The same aesthetic of graveyards, mental issues such as depression being glorified, self harm, angst, neverending sadness. It's one and the same spirit. Had this realization a while back ministering to an emo cousin...
 
Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your friend Mitspa...
The whole subculture is strongly demon filled. Like Mark chapter 5 (or Luke 8), the man living in tombs who was crying day and night and cutting himself with stones (the fact he had no razor doesnt make this less applicable for today), filled with rage, untameable. This same unclean spirit (Legion) fills these lifestyles and this is mostly the power behind them.

The same aesthetic of graveyards, mental issues such as depression being glorified, self harm, angst, neverending sadness. It's one and the same spirit. Had this realization a while back ministering to an emo cousin...

Thank you...and I wonder in part if my friend didn't see there weaknesses as greater than the faith they had found and wanted? I don't think they ever felt like they could live up to the "Christian" standard and that caused them to feel more at home with those who was more accepting of their weaknesses? Its like they felt more at home in the darkness, even tho they really didn't want to be a part of it. I guess one cant have a foot in each kingdom for long, cant serve two masters. But oh how the Lord did and does love them :)