Ever been bullied for being a christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

daniii

Apr 17, 2017
That's really true.because it doesn't seem like your asking on how to handle the bullying ....it's good to clarify so as to not lose the basis n end up instead gossiping n judging...
Im not asking how to handle bullying because there’s not much u can do about it. My christian friends are far away and rn I have no support on that. This chat just makes me even sadder because I just wanted friends to support me, not jugde me.
I don’t understand how you see this as gossiping.. Maybe I just should delete all this and be alone again?

ToGoFruit

Oct 5, 2017
In middle school I once said Im a christian and the boy nex to me thought it was funny. He used to bully me anyways so I didnt pay much attention. 2,5 years back when I started to date my boyfriend I told him that I want to wait for marriage. He was okay with that and I was so relieved. At that time I had a bestfriend, a boy, and I told him about it because we shared a lot like best friends do. Then this one night his friend “stole” his phone and red our conversations. Of course then everybody heard about it. I was shocked that people disagree that so much. They kinda bullied me about it, mostly like calling me prude and old fashioned on ask.fm, also on my boyfriends. Well them later he explained that it was just a joke but it wasnt for me. We’ no longer friends and today my sister asked about this. So I told her. Then later we were at our grandmas and she told her that shes moving in with her boyfriend. I told I rather get married first. She started questioning me and like almost was mad and then I said “I dont care what others do. I wanna do this God’s way”. She said it’s ridiculous to get married that young. We had a little fight about it and in the end she said “I no longer wonder why they called you names, because thats what you are”

Hearing this from your big sister is terrible. Ive always wanted to be like her but not on this case. I cant believe that even she doesn’t respect my commitment to this. Im just so sad that people like me get bullied and lose friends just because they live righteously. Im not ashamed, Im proud.
At the root of all this, you're having a difficult time and that's completely normal. In this world, we will have trials, right? That was a promise, but Jesus also promised He would always be with us. Although, the responses from people can sting and often make little sense, what can you do to continue living like Christ? And, I don't think the answer lies in what you can say as a response in the face of adversity...how can you act that reflects the image of God when life feels very unjust? God will meet you there.

I'm sorry you're experiencing some hurts and isolation--this is never easy to digest. However, I would take this opportunity to meet with Him in solitude. Ask Him for wisdom and discernment as you move forward with these relational challenges. I hope you're filled with peace and understanding soon! Keep hanging in there.

SkittlePumpkin

Sep 13, 2015
​I actually catch a lot more flak for it now than I did in highschool.

Feb 7, 2015
I needed peer support. You dont have to be mean..
Then what can we help you with?
This really does seem to be becoming a more and more prevelent problem in our society. I often wonder if there is much hope for them to ever develop normally.
[video=youtube;QXWNChoIluo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXWNChoIluo[/video]

Angela_s

Nov 21, 2017
You have my support :) . I also still struggle with this bad feeling of being disliked for being a Christian and with people cursing on God. It's terrible.
The fact that you need/want support is normal and personally, comprehensible. Of course, it's really unfair people are so harsh toward Christianity and you.
Try to avoid them. Show them without words (if these don't work) how your decisions are not wrong. Do it the way you want.
I know, the fact that it hurts just make it quite impossible to avoid such negativity. And I know, for sure, you are not in the wrong.
But Jesus said it Himself; He said we Christians would be hated/persecuted and nothing/nobody can change this, but Him. Jesus knows what you are passing through. He knows how much you are suffering, that's why He will never leave you (always if you don't decide to not follow him, but I doubt it).
You seem (and I think you are) a strong person. That's why I give you my support and I pray for you so that you get a clearer solution to this situation.
God Bless and help you!

Angela_s

Nov 21, 2017
(In case you don't know or don't remember, there is a forum apposite for getting support.)

D

Depleted

You have my support :) . I also still struggle with this bad feeling of being disliked for being a Christian and with people cursing on God. It's terrible.
The fact that you need/want support is normal and personally, comprehensible. Of course, it's really unfair people are so harsh toward Christianity and you.
Try to avoid them. Show them without words (if these don't work) how your decisions are not wrong. Do it the way you want.
I know, the fact that it hurts just make it quite impossible to avoid such negativity. And I know, for sure, you are not in the wrong.
But Jesus said it Himself; He said we Christians would be hated/persecuted and nothing/nobody can change this, but Him. Jesus knows what you are passing through. He knows how much you are suffering, that's why He will never leave you (always if you don't decide to not follow him, but I doubt it).
You seem (and I think you are) a strong person. That's why I give you my support and I pray for you so that you get a clearer solution to this situation.
God Bless and help you!
You want her to avoid her sister? I'd be more inclined to suggest how to live with people that disagree with you than to simply avoid. Avoiding doesn't leave many people left. Nor does it equip you to learn how to handle "negativity."

Angela_s

Nov 21, 2017
You want her to avoid her sister? I'd be more inclined to suggest how to live with people that disagree with you than to simply avoid. Avoiding doesn't leave many people left. Nor does it equip you to learn how to handle "negativity."
Sorry, this wasn't what I mean and it wasn't my intention.
I told her to take a decision on her own and be helped by God with it.
I Never told her to do either something or something else.
And since she wanted support for doing so, I felt to give her it .

Angela_s

Nov 21, 2017
When I said to avoid people, I didn't mean her family, but people outside her family.
I was referring to people bullying her.

DaveTheRave

May 28, 2014
This really does seem to be becoming a more and more prevelent problem in our society. I often wonder if there is much hope for them to ever develop normally.
[video=youtube;QXWNChoIluo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXWNChoIluo[/video]
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position...
Romans 12:14*-‬16 NIV

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse"
Danii, I pray that you will remain strong in the faith and not grow bitter towards anyone who does you wrong. I'm sorry to hear that people are not accepting you and I'd encourage you to keep studying the Bible so that you will be able to justify your belief to anyone who asks!

"Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position."

This comment (quoted) was condecending and not very helpful. While I agree with you that there are many people my age who are immature and incapable of doing things themselves, you will quickly find that speaking like this will quickly cause them to reject what you say and you will be unable to spread to gospel to younger people.

Dec 4, 2017
In middle school I once said Im a christian and the boy nex to me thought it was funny. He used to bully me anyways so I didnt pay much attention. 2,5 years back when I started to date my boyfriend I told him that I want to wait for marriage. He was okay with that and I was so relieved. At that time I had a bestfriend, a boy, and I told him about it because we shared a lot like best friends do. Then this one night his friend “stole” his phone and red our conversations. Of course then everybody heard about it. I was shocked that people disagree that so much. They kinda bullied me about it, mostly like calling me prude and old fashioned on ask.fm, also on my boyfriends. Well them later he explained that it was just a joke but it wasnt for me. We’ no longer friends and today my sister asked about this. So I told her. Then later we were at our grandmas and she told her that shes moving in with her boyfriend. I told I rather get married first. She started questioning me and like almost was mad and then I said “I dont care what others do. I wanna do this God’s way”. She said it’s ridiculous to get married that young. We had a little fight about it and in the end she said “I no longer wonder why they called you names, because thats what you are”

Hearing this from your big sister is terrible. Ive always wanted to be like her but not on this case. I cant believe that even she doesn’t respect my commitment to this. Im just so sad that people like me get bullied and lose friends just because they live righteously. Im not ashamed, Im proud.
Stay strong in faith, and always remember that the Lord will never leave you nor ever forsake you.

Rejoice in the suffering till the temperance of the Treasure that is you is refined to the Glory of our Heavenly Father.

In short.
Yes, your elder sister is wrong in demeaning you for your standing in choices. Even so you must reserve forgiveness in your heart, and remember to seek the Lord in prayer also.
And be comforted in Knowing there are always Elders to help.

Nikoko

Oct 4, 2017
Way to go standing up for your faith and convictions girl! You should be proud, it is hard to stand up to close friends and family like that. I’ve had friends tease me about being a Christian, and it’s not fun. Are you and your sister doing better?