///ever considered this?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Willie-T

Banned
Feb 7, 2015
22,418
413
0
When a disaster happens, people will turn against the false powers they trusted. In their disappointment, they either become softened toward God or they become bolder in their independence.
 
When a disaster happens, people will turn against the false powers they trusted. In their disappointment, they either become softened toward God or they become bolder in their independence.


Why do you think that is?
 
Why do you think that is?

I think that disasters — even just regular troubles — are meant to be taken as opportunities for us to move from a spot in which we may have become kind of mired-down and stuck. Of course the desirous thing is for us to move more toward God, but we still have that ol' "Free Will" in all that we do, and sometimes we move in the wrong direction.
 
I think that disasters — even just regular troubles — are meant to be taken as opportunities for us to move from a spot in which we may have become kind of mired-down and stuck. Of course the desirous thing is for us to move more toward God, but we still have that ol' "Free Will" in all that we do, and sometimes we move in the wrong direction.


I used to think maturity caused a person to run to God when they were truly challenged. Just lately I've watched a pastor I really respected turn from the church during bad times.

It's made me really question what motivates us. Why some go one way others another. Interesting topic.
 
When people have wandered very far away from God and their hearts have become so hard because of sin, disasters make them bolder in their independence. Or they will soften for a while but go back to sin after the disaster is over.

I know someone who became very ill and repented so he went back to his wife and the wife took care of him in his illness. When he became well he went back to his other woman. Sad but true.
 
I used to think maturity caused a person to run to God when they were truly challenged. Just lately I've watched a pastor I really respected turn from the church during bad times.

It's made me really question what motivates us. Why some go one way others another. Interesting topic.

I think we only have three things we can depend upon.

1. Whatever false hope we have been looking to.
or
2. Ourselves.
or
3. The God who loves us.
 
When a disaster happens, people will turn against the false powers they trusted. In their disappointment, they either become softened toward God or they become bolder in their independence.

I would probably put things in different terms... but in a nutshell... yes.

Tragedy usually moves people in one direction or another.
 
Funny thing about disasters. Some people blame God and turn away. Others become closer to God. But there is a third category. Some people had faith before the disaster, and remain faithful throughout and after the disaster has run its course.

About a decade ago my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. It came as a shock to us because she was a non-smoker, and far too young to have a terminal disease like that. We prayed for healing, or alternatively, for more time. She lived two more years, which was about a year and a half longer than expected. It was a pretty tough thing to go through--for our whole family--wife, husband and daughter. I worked from home and took care of her right to the end. She wanted it that way. It tapped me out emotionally and financially. I lost everything.

But at no time did the thought occur to me to blame God for our tragedy. It just didn't enter the calculus. I know that my faith is no weaker than before. Perhaps it might even be stronger. OTOH, I think it was harder for my 11 year old (then) daughter to understand. She has drifted away from God, and is still finding her way. I pray for her. A lot.
 
Funny thing about disasters. Some people blame God and turn away. Others become closer to God. But there is a third category. Some people had faith before the disaster, and remain faithful throughout and after the disaster has run its course.

About a decade ago my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. It came as a shock to us because she was a non-smoker, and far too young to have a terminal disease like that. We prayed for healing, or alternatively, for more time. She lived two more years, which was about a year and a half longer than expected. It was a pretty tough thing to go through--for our whole family--wife, husband and daughter. I worked from home and took care of her right to the end. She wanted it that way. It tapped me out emotionally and financially. I lost everything.

But at no time did the thought occur to me to blame God for our tragedy. It just didn't enter the calculus. I know that my faith is no weaker than before. Perhaps it might even be stronger. OTOH, I think it was harder for my 11 year old (then) daughter to understand. She has drifted away from God, and is still finding her way. I pray for her. A lot.

Great post.

Thank you for sharing.
 
When a disaster happens, people will turn against the false powers they trusted. In their disappointment, they either become softened toward God or they become bolder in their independence.
I do think disaster causes some people to return to the Lord. I hadn't thought about people becoming bolder in their independence.
 
When a disaster happens, people will turn against the false powers they trusted. In their disappointment, they either become softened toward God or they become bolder in their independence.

I agree, it happens. Sometimes for the good, and sometimes for the bad. We can only be ourselves and be in control of our own lives though. Not worry about what other people do, just remain with God all the way, keep praying and getting close to God.

But yes it happens, not just with God, but with family, friends, etc. it's just life.
 
My grandma reminds me constantly that the same boiling water that softens a potato hardens an egg.
Tragic events, disasters, and rough spots mold us using our personal responses to them.

I'm just grateful that how we respond in one moment isn't the only response we ever get. God can change a heart that moved away from Him and give us a chance to turn to Him instead of away from Him.