Exercise is just as important as changing your diet!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Missachu

Howdy ya'll!

Just wanted to share a realization with you. Most people are changing their diets in order to be healthy. I've discovered that it really is true. I am 190lbs ,which is the heaviest I've ever been, yet I've had complements on my health ever since I went Gluten-free/Canola-free.

I look thinner than 190lbs so no one has said anything about my weight but since I'm planning on joining the Air Force I have to meet the height and weight requirement.
(Not only that I want to look good!)

So lately I've been instructed by my mom to go outside an go jogging again, dance, sit-ups/ect. and I started shedding the pounds RIGHT AWAY.(I mean like the first day!)

My initial fear when exercising is getting fat again right after losing all the weight, and yes you do have to stick with it but it's not as bad as it seems. I LOVE to exercise and move around. It makes me happier and I know that even people who don't really "LIKE" to exercise feel better after a work out.

So if your stuck in a rut. Changing your diet and somehow your not losing any weight (or maybe even GAINING weight like I was) Try doing a few sit-ups or push ups. Jog instead of going for a walk. The idea is to PUSH yourself. Trust me, you won't die. The pain or burning isn't going to kill you. After doing is once, tell me you don't feel good the next day :]

J

ji

Howdy ya'll!

Just wanted to share a realization with you. Most people are changing their diets in order to be healthy. I've discovered that it really is true. I am 190lbs ,which is the heaviest I've ever been, yet I've had complements on my health ever since I went Gluten-free/Canola-free.

I look thinner than 190lbs so no one has said anything about my weight but since I'm planning on joining the Air Force I have to meet the height and weight requirement.
(Not only that I want to look good!)

So lately I've been instructed by my mom to go outside an go jogging again, dance, sit-ups/ect. and I started shedding the pounds RIGHT AWAY.(I mean like the first day!)

My initial fear when exercising is getting fat again right after losing all the weight, and yes you do have to stick with it but it's not as bad as it seems. I LOVE to exercise and move around. It makes me happier and I know that even people who don't really "LIKE" to exercise feel better after a work out.

So if your stuck in a rut. Changing your diet and somehow your not losing any weight (or maybe even GAINING weight like I was) Try doing a few sit-ups or push ups. Jog instead of going for a walk. The idea is to PUSH yourself. Trust me, you won't die. The pain or burning isn't going to kill you. After doing is once, tell me you don't feel good the next day :]
Pray and go for exercise.God can give you natural permanent change and He will take care of your fear of 'eating it all back in'.
God Bless:)
But dedication is important.Don't miss it..revive it always.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I've been exercising consistently for 9 years. I actually love it, and had to cut back when I fell on the ice and twisted my knee badly in Jan. I'm doing half of what I was doing, but I am confident I will be back in shape in another couple of weeks.

Strangely, once you get in shape, if you are forced to stop for a few weeks, you will lose what seems to be most of your conditioning. Except if you push for a week or two, you will be back to what took you several years of hard work took you to get to. So you don't lose it, but you do have to be consistent in getting it back.

My father had a Ph.D in Physical Education and taught it at the University level for 33 years. That means he LOVED sports, exercise and was an expert in sports medicine. However, he told me that all the latest research shows that exercise can't help you lose weight, only maintain weight loss. So you DO have to change your diet.

The thing that helps me most is I keep a monthly calendar, and mark down everything I have done to exercise. That means, weights, stretches, aerobics, including time, distance on a bike, etc. It really helps you see at a glance that you are not being consistent. Or if you are!

I heartily think that we should all exercise at least 5 times a week and eat better. But I seem to have lost the magic key to losing weight, even if I am in pretty good shape, and not sick, except for chronic, incurable illnesses, like hypothyroidism, asthma and Rheumatoid Arthritis. If anyone finds my key, please PM me and you can courier it to my home. LOL

(I think I have eliminated every bad food, and added juicing, liver cleansing etc, etc possible. Counted calories, points, been sensible etc! And still no weight loss!)

Sep 6, 2013
I have been consistently exercising for about 2 years now, and I love it. However, I've hit a plateau with my weight that I can't seem to get past, due to my lack of discipline in dieting. I FEEL healthier due to the exercise, and my body is more firm and toned. But I know that if I want to shed these last pounds, I will absolutely have to diet, and that is my weakness.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Just to reiterate what has been mentioned, BOTH change of diet AND exercise are ESSENTIAL for loosing weight, you should aim for the loosing of no more than 2 pounds per week, one and a half to two pounds is fine.

Really what you are doing is using more kcals than you ingest, ie output exceeds input.

As regards the type exercise, brisk walking (3-3 and a half MPH) is the best all round exercise for loosing weight (aim for 30-60 minutes per day), as all physiological systems are working, cardio-vascular, pulmonary, neuro, musculo, skeletal.

During brisk walking certain neurotransmitters are released: natural opiates (endorphins/enkephalins), serotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine, which result in a feeling of wellbeing.

You are not only loosing weight, but you are changing your whole way of thinking about food/exercise, also there is a need to develop discipline and self-control, you need to stick at it and not look for a "quick fix". Find out your ideal weight for your height, aim for a BMI (Body Mass Index) of <30, but really you should be looking to drop it to <25, 20-25 is the healthy range, but I think you want to be nearer 25 than 20.

As regards changing the type of food you ingest, it should be "balanced", advice from a dietician would be worthwhile.

Medical input is good, if you have any doubts, go and see your doctor, it is important that you loose weight safely.

Yahweh Shalom...

M

Missachu

I have been consistently exercising for about 2 years now, and I love it. However, I've hit a plateau with my weight that I can't seem to get past, due to my lack of discipline in dieting. I FEEL healthier due to the exercise, and my body is more firm and toned. But I know that if I want to shed these last pounds, I will absolutely have to diet, and that is my weakness.
I hear yah. I'm supposed to drop weight to pass my physical for the Air Force. I dropped 5 pounds after two days of exercising and I just gained it all back cause I decided to take a second helping for dinner one night. It's hard work :/

jogoldie

Mar 20, 2014
I lost 80lbs just riding my bike to work...f course I only work 5miles away...but 5 in and five out added up to 50 a week..im 55 yrs old and it has changed my life..now I want to eat right and dont even think of junk food. ALL ACHES AND PAIN IS GONE..so find what you love to do ...just do it..remember when we begin looseing weight we hit plateaus and weird gains for no reason push though and then it falls off..

Feb 21, 2014
I lost 80lbs just riding my bike to work...f course I only work 5miles away...but 5 in and five out added up to 50 a week..im 55 yrs old and it has changed my life..now I want to eat right and dont even think of junk food. ALL ACHES AND PAIN IS GONE..so find what you love to do ...just do it..remember when we begin looseing weight we hit plateaus and weird gains for no reason push though and then it falls off..
Hi. Ms. jogoldie: We have an exercise bike in the basement; maybe if you ever retire from your job 5 miles away such an apparatus would also be a good investment? :) unless you expect to do a lot of bike touring, of course. (Up here in Canada, biking in the snow and ice can be a bit problematic, though... :) )

KimberlyQ

Mar 26, 2014
I have a friend that constantly says "trust the process" if she sees no progress happening in her efforts.

I am recently certified as a personal trainer and nutritionist and all of my studies would claim 80% of weight loss is diet - "eating clean" is all the rage and while I might say "eating clean" is good, I think "eat smart" might be a better way to go.

What I found with my own weight loss struggles (I weighed 150lbs and was 5'4 when I was 13 years old) is that it's best to add one thing after another. If you feel you've hit a plateau maybe allow your body to readjust for a week and then start something new. The week off might make it harder to get back into it, but if you can, it'll shock your body even more and perhaps jump start the process again. Most people see more weight loss in the first two weeks of dieting/exercise because of this "jump start" affect.

My most recent, and successful, weight loss goals were reached by purely dieting for 2 months - eating smart. After 2 months I added in gradual cardio. After a month of gradual cardio I bumped up my speed and my goals a little. I started weight training - and here is where things really kicked into gear. I only spend 30-45min at the gym. 30 minutes of cardio MAX, but I do weight training because muscle actually burns more calories than fat. Women sometimes are scared of weight training because they are afraid of bulking up (though I believe this fear is being alleviated more and more) but truly weight training will not only help to burn more calories, but muscle is lean and firm. It helps with soooo many things.

Also important is to switch up diet and exercise - it's the whole "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results" - Albert Einstein. Switch it up if you feel you've hit a plateau - but I would forewarn against maxing out your time at the gym or spending several hours a day there. I did this while in HS and it was extremely unhealthy - another form of anorexia, truly.

Anyhoo, good luck with your goals - trust the process, don't give up :)

Feb 21, 2014
I have a friend that constantly says "trust the process" if she sees no progress happening in her efforts.

I am recently certified as a personal trainer and nutritionist and all of my studies would claim 80% of weight loss is diet - "eating clean" is all the rage and while I might say "eating clean" is good, I think "eat smart" might be a better way to go.

What I found with my own weight loss struggles (I weighed 150lbs and was 5'4 when I was 13 years old) is that it's best to add one thing after another. If you feel you've hit a plateau maybe allow your body to readjust for a week and then start something new. The week off might make it harder to get back into it, but if you can, it'll shock your body even more and perhaps jump start the process again. Most people see more weight loss in the first two weeks of dieting/exercise because of this "jump start" affect.

My most recent, and successful, weight loss goals were reached by purely dieting for 2 months - eating smart. After 2 months I added in gradual cardio. After a month of gradual cardio I bumped up my speed and my goals a little. I started weight training - and here is where things really kicked into gear. I only spend 30-45min at the gym. 30 minutes of cardio MAX, but I do weight training because muscle actually burns more calories than fat. Women sometimes are scared of weight training because they are afraid of bulking up (though I believe this fear is being alleviated more and more) but truly weight training will not only help to burn more calories, but muscle is lean and firm. It helps with soooo many things.

Also important is to switch up diet and exercise - it's the whole "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results" - Albert Einstein. Switch it up if you feel you've hit a plateau - but I would forewarn against maxing out your time at the gym or spending several hours a day there. I did this while in HS and it was extremely unhealthy - another form of anorexia, truly.

Anyhoo, good luck with your goals - trust the process, don't give up :)
LOL, I like the Einstein quote... :)

E

eagleisflying

Hello
All your posts are awesome! I have been walking for years. I took up kayaking 5 yrs ago :): Its awesome.
I Jan I was ill and started a Daniel fast. I have still been on it. I have been watching more of my diet. Lots of vegs and beans and not much cheese. I walk every day and try to even exercise in the am house if its too cold out before I go to work.
Bless u
Frannie eagleisflying

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
Tips about how to achieve good health are all myths. The following are the facts according to a wise chinese doctor.

Q: Doctor, I’ve heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Your heart only good for so many beats, and that it…don’t waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
A: You must grasp logistical efficiency. What does cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So steak is nothing more than efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef also good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And pork chop can give you 100% of recommended daily allowance of vegetable product.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: No, not at all. Wine made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Bottom up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have body and you have fat, your ratio one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can’t think of single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No pain…good!

Q: Aren’t fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food are fried these day in vegetable oil. In fact, they permeated by it. How could getting more vegetable be bad for you?!?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle? A: Definitely not! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger. You should only be doing sit-up if you want bigger stomach.
Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for your figure, explain whale to me..

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! ‘Round’ a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Tips about how to achieve good health are all myths. The following are the facts according to a wise chinese doctor.

Q: Doctor, I’ve heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Your heart only good for so many beats, and that it…don’t waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
A: You must grasp logistical efficiency. What does cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So steak is nothing more than efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef also good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And pork chop can give you 100% of recommended daily allowance of vegetable product.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: No, not at all. Wine made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Bottom up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have body and you have fat, your ratio one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can’t think of single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No pain…good!

Q: Aren’t fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food are fried these day in vegetable oil. In fact, they permeated by it. How could getting more vegetable be bad for you?!?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle? A: Definitely not! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger. You should only be doing sit-up if you want bigger stomach.
Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for your figure, explain whale to me..

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! ‘Round’ a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.
I will call an make an appointment with this doctor.

Aug 20, 2014
Absolutely. Diet is just as important as exercise. Finding what food allergies one may have also helps our state of health and recovery, in the case of wanting to lose weight. Which can be gained due to allergies.
Burn more calories in exercise than you consume, eat smaller portions, also helps.
Avoid white flour products, sugar, and salt, which causes water retention in many people, and that makes a difference as well.

Fasting is always a good idea if your doctor says it's OK. This gives the body time to heal and rest from digesting heavy foods, starches, etc....

O

oldthennew

wonderful posts, great advice.

my two cents, (emotional baggage creates emotional eating)
and can make 'right-choices' a joke.
self-abuse through food, it's such a common factor in our society,
actually, pushed-down-our-throats and stomped down from our
early childhood.
most of us and our parents fell fast and hard for the lies.

it's taken a few years for us to find inward clarity concerning our
eating and drinking habits and let us not forget, 'medicinal-bondage',
for some of us.
we found that Spiritual Conversion does not equal 'instant-over-coming'.

a real desire to have our bodies come into alignment
with our Spirit is KEY to wholesome, productive, peaceful, living,
not to mention the Lord showing us that His Diet Plans
are the best we can have.

for a quick 'witness',
my husband has never been to a doctor since the 70's, after he
was diagnosed with MS and we chose to go the 'natural God way'
to find healing.

GB all.
it has been a long, challenging trip, but one that we have been
very fortunate and blessed to travel.

A

amymine712

wonderful posts, great advice.

my two cents, (emotional baggage creates emotional eating)
and can make 'right-choices' a joke.
self-abuse through food, it's such a common factor in our society,
actually, pushed-down-our-throats and stomped down from our
early childhood.
most of us and our parents fell fast and hard for the lies.

it's taken a few years for us to find inward clarity concerning our
eating and drinking habits and let us not forget, 'medicinal-bondage',
for some of us.
we found that Spiritual Conversion does not equal 'instant-over-coming'.

a real desire to have our bodies come into alignment
with our Spirit is KEY to wholesome, productive, peaceful, living,
not to mention the Lord showing us that His Diet Plans
are the best we can have.

for a quick 'witness',
my husband has never been to a doctor since the 70's, after he
was diagnosed with MS and we chose to go the 'natural God way'
to find healing.

GB all.
it has been a long, challenging trip, but one that we have been
very fortunate and blessed to travel.
I totally agree with this. I weighed 390 lbs at my highest weight. I am now down to the 220s. Without working on the emotional end of things, I would still be close to 300 lbs today. I went thru bariatric surgery 5 years ago. I did lose wieght but was still hooked on junk food because I didn't deal with my emotional eating. I gained back over 50 lbs while trying to deal with my emotional eating and addiction to junk food. God has healed me from both and I have now lost more then 50 lbs. Besides eating healthy and exercising, I praise God for the wonderful body he has given me every day. It helps me keep the focus on Him because without God I would still be unhealthy and very overweight.

O

oldthennew

amymine,

what a blessing to hear your witness!

just being an example for others and sharing what you have learned
is what loving the Lord is all about.

you are a strong person, and will lift many people out of places
that you are very familiar with that were not profitable.

may our Father bless you and we know that He will be right
beside you as your exciting journey unfolds.

GB