Fads

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
My friend sent me this picture yesterday :

This year's fads, in America anyhow. First you have the kid's with their arms in the air, can't remember what it's called.
Then there is the annoying bottle flip challenge, then homemade slime and last but not least Fudgit Spinners. All equally annoying in their own way.

I will do another post about fads from the 80's when I was a teen .

Attachments

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
IMG_1052.jpg

If you lived you lived through the 80's you'll remember some of these, Parachute pants, Care Bears, Michael Jackson pleather style jackets, Rubix Cubes, button pins, banana clips, Swatch Watches, safety pins, big hair, Aqua Net, etc.

Share some trends from your youth.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
I don't get that thing with the arms. What is that supposed to be??

Feb 7, 2015

This year's fads, in America anyhow. First you have the kid's with their arms in the air, can't remember what it's called.
Then there is the annoying bottle flip challenge, then homemade slime and last but not least Fudgit Spinners. All equally annoying in their own way.

You can be very thankful for 'Fidgit Spinners' (actually 'Gyroscopes') They have been around since before Jesus' time, as ''dradles" (a children's toy... a 'spinning top'), were refined into instruments about 90 years ago... and are the very basis of all sophisticated guidance and navigational systems used in ships, planes, and rockets. They are in telescopes, construction devices, robots, automatic pilots, laser medical instruments, and many other modern things.

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
You can be very thankful for 'Fidgit Spinners' (actually 'Gyroscopes') They have been around since before Jesus' time, as ''dradles" (a children's toy... a 'spinning top'), were refined into instruments about 90 years ago... and are the very basis of all sophisticated guidance and navigational systems used in ships, planes, and rockets. They are in telescopes, construction devices, robots, automatic pilots, laser medical instruments, and many other modern things.
I think the intention at first with the fidget spinner was for kid's or adults who are fidgety. I don't know anyone who isn't at least a bit fidgety. They are kind of fun to spin around.

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
I don't get that thing with the arms. What is that supposed to be??
I can't remember, I just know that it was a thing kid's were or are doing at the moment.

G

Galatea

I have seen all of these as a middle school teacher. The arm thing is called dabbing, and the spinners are called fidget spinners. The one that got on my nerves the most was flipping the bottles to see if they can land on their lids. It is noisy and of course the bottles could spill. Dabbing is kind of "old news" here- but the other three are going strong.

Huglife

Aug 15, 2016
Ahh i know the dab one, the bottle flip, and the spinners. The spinners are actually pretty cool.

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
I have seen all of these as a middle school teacher. The arm thing is called dabbing, and the spinners are called fidget spinners. The one that got on my nerves the most was flipping the bottles to see if they can land on their lids. It is noisy and of course the bottles could spill. Dabbing is kind of "old news" here- but the other three are going strong.

Dabbing! Thank you. I agree about the bottle flipping, it's very annoying.

G

Galatea

The spinners are okay- EXCEPT when kids are playing with them instead of doing their work. I took one from a kid who was playing with it instead of doing his assignment. Then, they sell them to each other and that makes a whole new problem. They are also selling the homemade slime.

I had to have a whole discussion about the differences between an honest and dishonest profit and what ripping off people means versus people knowingly paying for something that is overpriced.

Huglife

Aug 15, 2016
The spinners are okay- EXCEPT when kids are playing with them instead of doing their work. I took one from a kid who was playing with it instead of doing his assignment. Then, they sell them to each other and that makes a whole new problem. They are also selling the homemade slime.

I had to have a whole discussion about the differences between an honest and dishonest profit and what ripping off people means versus people knowingly paying for something that is overpriced.
i have not heared of the slime one. So... their making slime?

G

Galatea

i have not heared of the slime one. So... their making slime?
Yes, homemade slime. It's real easy to make. You can get the recipe online. Glue, borax, water, food coloring. You can put glitter in it, too. I made it with my classes as a science experiment. Some entrepreneurial kid makes it at home and brings it to school and sells it. That kid is making bank, lol. They're not supposed to sell anything at school.

My whole sixth grade class had one hand in a plastic container of slime and the other hand taking notes one day. It didn't bother me, but I don't want any kids getting ripped off.

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
My kid's have taken their spinners to school but they're only allowed to take them out at recess, as per the school rule. I think that's a good idea. I could see them being distracting. My Sons teacher banned water bottles from her class for the year because they wouldn't stop flipping them. My Daughters teacher only allows basic yellow pencils in her classroom because the kid's were arguing about who's was who's and some were stolen. I don't blame her. I'd probably be pulling my hair out by the end of the day.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
So what is the meaning/purpose of dabbing? Or is there one? :rolleyes:

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Some trends when I was a kid in the late 70's, 80's...

1970's:

Flashing the peace sign, "flower power", "free love" (hippies - real hippies, not hipsters :p)

BMX bikes for boys (pedal power, not motorcycles)

Being in boy scouts or girl scouts (it was way more popular and 'cool' back then)

Model railroading - HUGE electric train sets in people's basements or dens complete with scenery and little cars and people and buildings that lit up and stuff

Building model airplanes, cars, ships from those plastic model kits (this was one of my favorites)

Camping (pretty much everyone did it)

Short shorts! Just trust me on this one :rolleyes:

Long hair on guys

Butterfly collars and pants

Corduroy

Polyester shirts and blouses everywhere

Tie-dye shirts

The Jesus movement - Christian bumper stickers and signs everywhere (Jesus saves, Jesus loves you, etc...), people asking strangers if they've found Jesus, and people with signs on street corners saying REPENT! because the end of the world is near...

Joining The Peace Corps

1980's:

Designer jeans

Ray Ban sunglasses

pinstriped suits

mullets

big hair

high-top sneakers, especially Converse's

Mickey mouse t-shirts (I dont know why)

designer clothing (everyone started wanting to wear designer labels)

aerobic fitness videos

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
OK... I found out where/what the dabbing's about.. It's a little dance that this Carolina Panthers player (Cam Newton) does when he makes touchdowns... He was doing it in the superbowl last year so that's how it turned into a fad..

The entire Panthers team 'dabbing' for a photo at the superbowl..

:rolleyes:

Huglife

Aug 15, 2016
didnt michael jackson do it originally?

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
didnt michael jackson do it originally?
Yep, you were right! :DThey all do the dab at 18 seconds... (I'm seeing it in the thumbnail too)

[video=youtube;IU7h_qbXPvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU7h_qbXPvM[/video]