It seems that the consensus among Christians that faith and reason conflict. Given the definition of reason, I find this perplexing so I began to ask fellow brothers and sisters in Christ why they thought this. Typically, their responses were reason is of the mind and the mind is enmity against God. Without even realizing it, they were providing reasons for rejecting reason! Thus, I began to ask myself, why are so many Christians in opposition of reason? I have come to the conclusion that there is a simple misunderstanding surrounding reason. So what is reason and how can reason correlate with faith?
(I) What is reason?
Reason- A statement offered in explanation or justification
(II) How can reason correlate with faith?
Take the creation of the universe, for example, Christians will postulate that God brought our universe into existence. Or again, consider the resurrection of Christ. Christians will contend that it was God that raised Jesus from the dead. Both examples
provide an explanation—God created the universe—or justifies the resurrection of the dead. Furthermore, humans can’t mentally function as we do without using reason. We wouldn’t be able to present a statement that doesn’t explain or justify something or even answer the question of why. Think about it, when someone asks you, why do you believe in God you can’t avoid giving an explanation or justification of your belief.
Let me propose a couple of challenges to those that still aren’t convinced that reason and faith cannot correlate with one another.
Challenge (I) Why do you believe that faith and reason are mutually exclusive or in conflict?
By answering this question, you used reason!
Challenge (II) I invite you to think of a world in which you cannot present a statement that neither explains nor justifies anything. After you have done so, attempt to make sense of this world and tell me reason isn’t needed.
(I) What is reason?
Reason- A statement offered in explanation or justification
(II) How can reason correlate with faith?
Take the creation of the universe, for example, Christians will postulate that God brought our universe into existence. Or again, consider the resurrection of Christ. Christians will contend that it was God that raised Jesus from the dead. Both examples
provide an explanation—God created the universe—or justifies the resurrection of the dead. Furthermore, humans can’t mentally function as we do without using reason. We wouldn’t be able to present a statement that doesn’t explain or justify something or even answer the question of why. Think about it, when someone asks you, why do you believe in God you can’t avoid giving an explanation or justification of your belief.
Let me propose a couple of challenges to those that still aren’t convinced that reason and faith cannot correlate with one another.
Challenge (I) Why do you believe that faith and reason are mutually exclusive or in conflict?
By answering this question, you used reason!
Challenge (II) I invite you to think of a world in which you cannot present a statement that neither explains nor justifies anything. After you have done so, attempt to make sense of this world and tell me reason isn’t needed.