Faith biblically defined

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
KJV Dictionary Definition: faith
4. Evangelical, justifying, or saving faith, is the assent of the mind to the truth of divine revelation, on the authority of God's testimony, accompanied with a cordial assent of the will or approbation of the heart; an entire confidence or trust in God's character and declarations, and in the character and doctrines of Christ, with an unreserved surrender of the will to his guidance, and dependence on his merits for salvation. In other words, that firm belief of God's testimony, and of the truth of the gospel, which influences the will, and leads to an entire reliance on Christ for salvation.

(MY comment on KJV definition. Saving faith begins with accepting the divine (Holy Spirt inspired Jn 12:32) revelation of a risen Christ. Placing one's entire confidence/trust in God's character/attributes/work. Surrendering one's self/will to God's Holy Spirit's direction. Placing your eternal life/salvation promise solely in/on the merits (sin atoning work) of the Lord Jesus.)

Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words: Faith

(1) a firm conviction, producing a full acknowledgement of God's revelation or truth, e.g., 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12;

(2) a personal surrender to Him, John 1:12;

(3) a conduct inspired by such surrender, 2 Corinthians 5:7.

Prominence is given to one or other of these elements according to the context. All this stands in contrast to belief in its purely natural exercise, which consists of an opinion held in good "faith" without necessary reference to its proof. The object of Abraham's "faith" was not God's promise (that was the occasion of its exercise); his "faith" rested on God Himself, Romans 4:17, Romans 4:20-Romans 4:21. See ASSURANCE, BELIEF, FAITHFULNESS, FIDELITY.

(MY comment on Vine's definition. Confidently accepting the truth (Jn14:6) found only in Jesus. Here again, surrendering one's self/will/conduct to God's Holy Spirit's direction. Trusting in Christ, HIS merits/work & abilities. Sadly, the narrative of today's Christendom majority's, places salvations focus on the believer (their works/confessions etc). The KJV & Vine's dictionary translators, BOTH, base salvation's deliverance from sin & death. Entirely on faith/reliance placed in/on Christ's merits (sin atoning work)!

Eph 2:
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

May 19, 2023
4. Evangelical, justifying, or saving faith, is the assent of the mind to the truth of divine revelation, on the authority of God's testimony, accompanied with a cordial assent of the will or approbation of the heart; an entire confidence or trust in God's character and declarations, and in the character and doctrines of Christ, with an unreserved surrender of the will to his guidance, and dependence on his merits for salvation. In other words, that firm belief of God's testimony, and of the truth of the gospel, which influences the will, and leads to an entire reliance on Christ for salvation.

(MY comment on KJV definition. Saving faith begins with accepting the divine (Holy Spirt inspired Jn 12:32) revelation of a risen Christ. Placing one's entire confidence/trust in God's character/attributes/work. Surrendering one's self/will to God's Holy Spirit's direction. Placing your eternal life/salvation promise solely in/on the merits (sin atoning work) of the Lord Jesus.)

(1) a firm conviction, producing a full acknowledgement of God's revelation or truth, e.g., 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12;

Prominence is given to one or other of these elements according to the context. All this stands in contrast to belief in its purely natural exercise, which consists of an opinion held in good "faith" without necessary reference to its proof. The object of Abraham's "faith" was not God's promise (that was the occasion of its exercise); his "faith" rested on God Himself, Romans 4:17, Romans 4:20-Romans 4:21. See ASSURANCE, BELIEF, FAITHFULNESS, FIDELITY.

(MY comment on Vine's definition. Confidently accepting the truth (Jn14:6) found only in Jesus. Here again, surrendering one's self/will/conduct to God's Holy Spirit's direction. Trusting in Christ, HIS merits/work & abilities. Sadly, the narrative of today's Christendom majority's, places salvations focus on the believer (their works/confessions etc). The KJV & Vine's dictionary translators, BOTH, base salvation's deliverance from sin & death. Entirely on faith/reliance placed in/on Christ's merits (sin atoning work)!

Eph 2:
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

ANSWER TO THE DEFINITION OF FAITH, HOPE, AND WORKS

What is Hope? We get hope when we receive knowledge and trust that this knowledge is true.

How is Faith like hope and how is faith different that hope?
Like hope, faith has trust in the knowledge that we have received whether that knowledge is true or false. Faith is different than hope. This is described in James 2:14-16, there are three levels of faith:

1. A dead faith - It has no works.

2. A unperfected faith - It will obey God when God so commands us to do so The example given is Abraham in Genesis 15 and Abramam's faith was reckoned unto Abraham as righteousness. God knew that Abraham would obey Him.

3. A perfected faith - It is a faith that has trusted in God and obeys God like Abraham obeyed God and went to sacrifice Isaac when God commanded him to do so.

Also, faith CAN be seen, and hope CANNOT be seen.

Matthew_9:2 And they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralytic, "Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven."

Mark 2:5 And Jesus seeing their faith *said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven."

This also brings us to the fact that there are two different types of works:

Works of faith - 1Thessalonians 1:3 constantly bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of LOVE and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the presence of our God and Father,

2Thessalonians 1:11 To this end also we pray for you always, that our God will count you worthy of your calling, and fulfill every desire for goodness and the work of faith with power,

An example of how our faith in God works is found in Colossians 2:12:

Colossians 2:12 having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.

Also, in the conversions in the Book of Acts, faith is NEVER in the Active Voice (something you do). We do not baptize ourselves. Someone else always baptizes us. They are doing the work.

Thank you for listening.

God bless you,
Wayne

arthurfleminger

Aug 18, 2021

Eph 2:

FlyingDove, you post, "
Eph 2:
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:."

So, what is your understanding of 'grace'. And please, no dictionary definations. TIA

May 19, 2023
FlyingDove, you post, "
Eph 2:
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:."

So, what is your understanding of 'grace'. And please, no dictionary definations. TIA

ANSWER ON GRACE:

Ummmmm! The word "GRACE" appears 123 times in the New Testament and no where does it give a definition of it. But in reading all of the scriptures, one can get an idea of what grace is. There is one verse that does tell us one thing that grace is not.

Romans 11:6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace, else work is no more work.

There are two types of works: Works of faith and works of righteousness. So it seems to me that God's grace is 'unmerited' favor. In other words, we do not earn, through works, the right to go to heaven. We do, though, have works of faith, which are works that we do because we have faith that God will fulfill the works He promises to do on our behalf. One example is found in Colossians:

Colossians 2:12 having been buried with Him in baptism
, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.

I pray that this helps!
God bless you,
Wayne

May 19, 2023
FlyingDove, you post, "
Eph 2:

What is faith, a saving faith? What three levels of faith are defined in James 2:14-26?
God bless you.
Wayne

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
ANSWER TO THE DEFINITION OF FAITH, HOPE, AND WORKS

What is Hope? We get hope when we receive knowledge and trust that this knowledge is true.

How is Faith like hope and how is faith different that hope? Like hope, faith has trust in the knowledge that we have received whether that knowledge is true or false. Faith is different than hope. This is described in James 2:14-16, there are three levels of faith:

1. A dead faith - It has no works.

2. A unperfected faith - It will obey God when God so commands us to do so The example given is Abraham in Genesis 15 and Abramam's faith was reckoned unto Abraham as righteousness. God knew that Abraham would obey Him.

3. A perfected faith - It is a faith that has trusted in God and obeys God like Abraham obeyed God and went to sacrifice Isaac when God commanded him to do so.

Also, faith CAN be seen, and hope CANNOT be seen.

Matthew_9:2 And they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralytic, "Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven."

Mark 2:5 And Jesus seeing their faith *said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven."

This also brings us to the fact that there are two different types of works:

Works of faith - 1Thessalonians 1:3 constantly bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of LOVE and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the presence of our God and Father,

2Thessalonians 1:11 To this end also we pray for you always, that our God will count you worthy of your calling, and fulfill every desire for goodness and the work of faith with power,

An example of how our faith in God works is found in Colossians 2:12:

Colossians 2:12 having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.

Also, in the conversions in the Book of Acts, faith is NEVER in the Active Voice (something you do). We do not baptize ourselves. Someone else always baptizes us. They are doing the work.

Thank you for listening.

God bless you,
Wayne
The focus of this blog is the bible definition of Faith (2 bible dictionaries cited).

The post makes no reference to hope. You're free to agree of disagree with the bible dictionary translators definition & believe whatever you like.

No place is Acts referenced by the bible dictionaries posted or me. Having said that, Acts 10:43-44 place an active Faith/Belief roll on the salvation seeker, as does the Eph 2:8 cited. Final thought: without active Faith it's impossible to please God. JJ

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
FlyingDove, you post, "
Eph 2:

Grace is FREE Rom 3:24, accessed by faith Rom 5:1-2, a GIFT received by faith Eph 2:8.

You're free to read the following or not.

The King James bible dictionary translators say this:

KJV Dictionary Definition: GRACE, n. L. gratia, which is formed on the Celtic; Eng. agree, congruous, and ready. The primary sense of gratus, is free, ready, quick, willing, prompt, from advancing.

1. Favor; good will; kindness; disposition to oblige another; as a grant made as an act of grace.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
What is faith, a saving faith? What three levels of faith are defined in James 2:14-26?
God bless you.
Wayne
The blog's posted focus is faith defined. I have no interest in debating the book of James with you. Start a discussion board or blog on James. I'm sure there are many that will find that an interesting topic. JJ

May 19, 2023
The focus of this blog is the bible definition of Faith (2 bible dictionaries cited).

The post makes no reference to hope. You're free to agree of disagree with the bible dictionary translators definition & believe whatever you like.

No place is Acts referenced by the bible dictionaries posted or me. Having said that, Acts 10:43-44 place an active Faith/Belief roll on the salvation seeker, as does the Eph 2:8 cited. Final thought: without active Faith it's impossible to please God. JJ

Hi Flying Dove,

I appreciate your comments, but doesn't the Bible tell us everything we need to know about faith? James 2 says that faith without works is "dead". It says that Abraham and a perfected faith. Faith is more than trust, it results in works just like it says in Hebrews 11:1 "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Also, in Colossians 2:12 we see how baptism, our faith and the working of God all happens.

God bless you,
Wayne

May 19, 2023

Hi Flying Dove,

You are right! I needed to show that there is a difference between faith and hope. Faith is not the same thing as hope. Hebrews 11:1 says that Faith is the substance and evidence of hope. Hope cannot be seen, but faith can be seen. How does one see faith?

Thanks,
Wayne

May 19, 2023
The blog's posted focus is faith defined. I have no interest in debating the book of James with you. Start a discussion board or blog on James. I'm sure there are many that will find that an interesting topic. JJ

Dear FlyingDove,

I want to understand the Biblical definition of faith as it seems that maybe you and I have different definitions. Can you refer me to some place in the New Testament that gives a Biblical definition of faith?

Thank you,
Wayne

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Dear FlyingDove,

I want to understand the Biblical definition of faith as it seems that maybe you and I have different definitions. Can you refer me to some place in the New Testament that gives a Biblical definition of faith?

Thank you,
Wayne
I gave bible dictionary definitions & commented on them. Again, you're free to believe & promote you're heart, as am I.

I'm not interested in arguing/debating anyone's personal beliefs/faith. Having said the I'll comment again on the definitions I posted.

(MY COMMENT: (1) A firm faith/conviction/belief, acknowledgement & acceptance of God's revelation or truth: I.E. Jesus Christ & His sin atoning work.)

(2) A a personal surrender to Him.

(3) Conduct/fidelity inspired by surrendering to Christ.

(MY COMMENT: Justification, saving faith is determined 100% by God's grace, who is none other than Jesus Christ

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people.
(MY NOTE: Grace has a name, Jesus the Christ)

Justification is accessed by Faith (also see Rom 5:1-2)

Rom 3:
21 But now the righteousness of God has been clearly revealed [independently and completely] apart from the Law, though it is [actually] confirmed by the Law and the [words and writings of the] Prophets.

22 This righteousness of God comes through faith in Jesus Christ for all those [Jew or Gentile] who believe [and trust in Him and acknowledge Him as God’s Son]. There is no distinction,

23 since all have sinned and continually fall short of the glory of God,

24 and are being justified [declared free of the guilt of sin, made acceptable to God, and granted eternal life] as a gift by His [precious, undeserved] [c]grace, through the redemption [the payment for our sin] which is [provided] in Christ Jesus,

25 whom God displayed publicly [before the eyes of the world] as a [life-giving] [d]sacrifice of atonement and reconciliation (propitiation) by His blood [to be received] through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness [which demands punishment for sin], because in His forbearance [His deliberate restraint] He passed over the sins previously committed [before Jesus’ crucifixion].

26 It was to demonstrate His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the One who justifies those who have faith in Jesus [and rely confidently on Him as Savior].
Bible source link: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans 3&version=AMP

(MY COMMENT: One is justified declared righteous & free of the guilt of sin, made acceptable to God & granted eternal life. As a GIFT by God's unearned/undeserved grace, through the redemption provided by Faith placed in Christ & His sin atoning work (Rom 3:24). Jesus is the One who justifies those who have faith in/on Him as Savior Rom (3:26.) Best wishes, JJ

RaceRunner

Oct 13, 2022
2 Peter 1:20
Understanding this first, that no prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation.

RaceRunner

Oct 13, 2022
Matthew 7:21
Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven.

May 19, 2023
I gave bible dictionary definitions & commented on them. Again, you're free to believe & promote you're heart, as am I.

I'm not interested in arguing/debating anyone's personal beliefs/faith. Having said the I'll comment again on the definitions I posted.

(MY COMMENT: (1) A firm faith/conviction/belief, acknowledgement & acceptance of God's revelation or truth: I.E. Jesus Christ & His sin atoning work.)

(2) A a personal surrender to Him.

(3) Conduct/fidelity inspired by surrendering to Christ.

(MY COMMENT: Justification, saving faith is determined 100% by God's grace, who is none other than Jesus Christ

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people.
(MY NOTE: Grace has a name, Jesus the Christ)

Justification is accessed by Faith (also see Rom 5:1-2)

Rom 3:
21 But now the righteousness of God has been clearly revealed [independently and completely] apart from the Law, though it is [actually] confirmed by the Law and the [words and writings of the] Prophets.

22 This righteousness of God comes through faith in Jesus Christ for all those [Jew or Gentile] who believe [and trust in Him and acknowledge Him as God’s Son]. There is no distinction,

23 since all have sinned and continually fall short of the glory of God,

24 and are being justified [declared free of the guilt of sin, made acceptable to God, and granted eternal life] as a gift by His [precious, undeserved] [c]grace, through the redemption [the payment for our sin] which is [provided] in Christ Jesus,

25 whom God displayed publicly [before the eyes of the world] as a [life-giving] [d]sacrifice of atonement and reconciliation (propitiation) by His blood [to be received] through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness [which demands punishment for sin], because in His forbearance [His deliberate restraint] He passed over the sins previously committed [before Jesus’ crucifixion].

26 It was to demonstrate His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the One who justifies those who have faith in Jesus [and rely confidently on Him as Savior].
Bible source link: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans 3&version=AMP

(MY COMMENT: One is justified declared righteous & free of the guilt of sin, made acceptable to God & granted eternal life. As a GIFT by God's unearned/undeserved grace, through the redemption provided by Faith placed in Christ & His sin atoning work (Rom 3:24). Jesus is the One who justifies those who have faith in/on Him as Savior Rom (3:26.) Best wishes, JJ

May 19, 2023
Dear Flying Dove,

This is not a debate or an argument on what faith is. If one reads James 2:14-26 he sees that faith without works is dead and Abraham received a perfected faith when he went to sacrifice his son, Isaac. In Genesis 15 it tells us that God reckoned Abraham's faith as righteousness. Abraham's faith was such that when God told him to sacrifice his son, Abraham tried to so so without any objection. This is the type of faith we need. A faith that will not obey God is a dead faith.

Also,
Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." A person cannot seed dead faith, but the faith that is said here had substance and evidence. It can be seen.

Matthew 9:2 And they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralytic, "Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven."

When James 2:14-16 says that faith without works is dead, it is not talking about works of righteous (Titus 3:5) but is talking about works of faith (1 Thessalonians 1:3 & 2 Thessalonians 1:11).

Flying Dove, does this make sense?

God bless you,
Wayne

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Dear Flying Dove,

This is not a debate or an argument on what faith is. If one reads James 2:14-26 he sees that faith without works is dead and Abraham received a perfected faith when he went to sacrifice his son, Isaac. In Genesis 15 it tells us that God reckoned Abraham's faith as righteousness. Abraham's faith was such that when God told him to sacrifice his son, Abraham tried to so so without any objection. This is the type of faith we need. A faith that will not obey God is a dead faith.

Also,
Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." A person cannot seed dead faith, but the faith that is said here had substance and evidence. It can be seen.

Matthew 9:2 And they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralytic, "Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven."

When James 2:14-16 says that faith without works is dead, it is not talking about works of righteous (Titus 3:5) but is talking about works of faith (1 Thessalonians 1:3 & 2 Thessalonians 1:11).

Flying Dove, does this make sense?

God bless you,
Wayne
Hello Wayne,
You're free to disagree with the posted bible dictionary translators definition of faith. You are also free to believe & promote your heart. Having said, your attempt to add self-works to salvation is unscriptural & I adamantly reject it. Best wishes, JJ

May 19, 2023
Hello Wayne,
You're free to disagree with the posted bible dictionary translators definition of faith. You are also free to believe & promote your heart. Having said, your attempt to add self-works to salvation is unscriptural & I adamantly reject it. Best wishes, JJ
Hi, Flying Dove,

Thank you for your remarks. You are right, any attempt to add self-works to salvation is unscriptural. But if we realize that their are two types of works, then we are still in line with God's word. Let me show you that their are two types of works:

WORKS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS
Titus 3:5
He saved us, not on the basis of works which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,

WORKS OF FAITH:
1 Thessalonians 1:3 constantly bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of LOVE and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the presence of our God and Father,

2 Thessalonians 1:11 To this end also we pray for you always, that our God will count you worthy of your calling, and fulfill every desire for goodness and the work of faith with power,

Baptism, when it is a work done in faith in what God is going to do for us is very well illustrated by Colossians.

Colossians 2:11-13 and in Him you were also circumcised (passive - something done to you) with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ; 12 having been buried (passive - something done to you) with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised (passive - something done to you) up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised (passive - Something done to you) Him from the dead. 13 When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive (something that someone, God in this case, did to you) together with Him, having forgiven (something that someone, in this case, God did to Himself) us all our transgressions,

Flying Dove, In baptism, NONE the work is done by ourselves. its done by someone baptizing us and our being raised, made alive and forgiven was a work done by God.

God bless you and thank you for our continued conversation.

Wayne

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
FlyingDove, you post, "
Eph 2:

I say
To answer the question on Grace

Grace is unearned ---undeserved --unmerited favor from God -------God The Father Sent His Son Jesus to bring Salvation to all the world ------God did not have to do that --He could have left us with no recourse to escape Hell as that is what we deserved because we were conceived in Sin and born with a corrupt Nature ----Jesus was a graced Gift to us------Jesus then came to us Full of Grace and Truth------So through Jesus the person who is full of Grace we now are given an opportunity to receive the Graced gift of Salvation ---that is why people say I have been saved by Grace ---so here Grace is not a thing --it is a person -----Jesus is Grace and we are to have Faith in Jesus and what His Blood accomplished for us before we get to receive His Graced gift of Salvation ------

Grace always makes available God's Spiritual gifts -----God's Faith receives it -----brings it us us ------God's Faith is a producing Faith ------very important for people to get ------

Here is an example ------someone brings you a present for no reason -----they put it on the kitchen Table for you ------so you have a free gift ---you did nothing to warrant the gift ------so it sits on the table -----it is yours for the taking but you leave it on the table and never pick it up --- it is there ---but it is not fully yours until you actually open it and say --Oh WOW --this is mine -Thank you ----you are now speaking out your Faith and receiving unto yourself the free Graced Gift -----

That is why it says-----this ----notice----- confess with your mouth ---speaking out your faith ==Faith in action

1693937897880.jpeg

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
I say
To answer the question on Grace

Grace is unearned ---undeserved --unmerited favor from God -------God The Father Sent His Son Jesus to bring Salvation to all the world ------God did not have to do that --He could have left us with no recourse to escape Hell as that is what we deserved because we were conceived in Sin and born with a corrupt Nature ----Jesus was a graced Gift to us------Jesus then came to us Full of Grace and Truth------So through Jesus the person who is full of Grace we now are given an opportunity to receive the Graced gift of Salvation ---that is why people say I have been saved by Grace ---so here Grace is not a thing --it is a person -----Jesus is Grace and we are to have Faith in Jesus and what His Blood accomplished for us before we get to receive His Graced gift of Salvation ------

Grace always makes available God's Spiritual gifts -----God's Faith receives it -----brings it us us ------God's Faith is a producing Faith ------very important for people to get ------

Here is an example ------someone brings you a present for no reason -----they put it on the kitchen Table for you ------so you have a free gift ---you did nothing to warrant the gift ------so it sits on the table -----it is yours for the taking but you leave it on the table and never pick it up --- it is there ---but it is not fully yours until you actually open it and say --Oh WOW --this is mine -Thank you ----you are now speaking out your Faith and receiving unto yourself the free Graced Gift -----

That is why it says-----this ----notice----- confess with your mouth ---speaking out your faith ==Faith in action

View attachment 255624
It's a personal blog about faith defined. Go start a discussion on grace. JJ