Faith In God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
Faith" is not an affirmation of a creed, an intellectual acceptance of God, or believing certain doctrines to be true or orthodox (although those things might well be good). Yet that seems to be what many Christians have whittled faith down to. Such faith does not usually change your heart or your lifestyle. I'm convinced that much modern atheism is a result of such a heady and really ineffective definition of faith. We defined faith intellectually, so people came up with intellectual arguments against it and then said, "I don't believe in God."

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Faith" is not an affirmation of a creed, an intellectual acceptance of God, or believing certain doctrines to be true or orthodox (although those things might well be good). Yet that seems to be what many Christians have whittled faith down to. Such faith does not usually change your heart or your lifestyle. I'm convinced that much modern atheism is a result of such a heady and really ineffective definition of faith. We defined faith intellectually, so people came up with intellectual arguments against it and then said, "I don't believe in God."
Hi Dusty, that could be, but if not, it would be something else, wouldn't it? After all, this business of denying God has been going on for quite some time now, hasn't it!

..........Romans 1
..........18 The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in ..........unrighteousness,
..........19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
..........20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being ..........understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
..........21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their ..........foolish heart was darkened.
..........22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,
..........23 and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals ..........and crawling creatures.
..........24 Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them.
..........25 For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. ..........Amen.
..........26 For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is ..........unnatural,
..........27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men ..........with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
..........28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which ..........are not proper,
..........29 being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips,
..........30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents,
..........31 without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful;
..........32 and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but ..........also give hearty approval to those who practice them.

~Deut

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
Hi Dusty, that could be, but if not, it would be something else, wouldn't it? After all, this business of denying God has been going on for quite some time now, hasn't it!

..........Romans 1
..........18 The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in ..........unrighteousness,
..........19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
..........20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being ..........understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
..........21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their ..........foolish heart was darkened.
..........22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,
..........23 and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals ..........and crawling creatures.
..........24 Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them.
..........25 For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. ..........Amen.
..........26 For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is ..........unnatural,
..........27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men ..........with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
..........28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which ..........are not proper,
..........29 being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips,
..........30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents,
..........31 without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful;
..........32 and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but ..........also give hearty approval to those who practice them.

~Deut
yes we really need to keep the faith and it is good to read but intellect alone doesn't get us nearer to God

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
yes we really need to keep the faith and it is good to read but intellect alone doesn't get us nearer to God
No disagreement there, God must act graciously on our behalf by quickening our hearts and then making us into wholly new creatures in His Son .. Ezekiel 36:26; John 3:3; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Ephesians 2:1-5. Regeneration precedes faith.

I grew up in church and loved it, especially Sunday School. I was baptized as an infant, was later confirmed, sung in the choir, went on retreats, attended regularly through high school, you know, the whole 9 yards. As a result, I always thought I was a Christian, until the day I actually became one at age 30 that is.

~Deut

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
What's your opinion on how a person is saved, is it what Jesus said "believe and you shall be saved" or is it believe and jump through all of these hoops and you shall be saved. Beware of men who add works to the finished work of Christ.

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
What's your opinion on how a person is saved, is it what Jesus said "believe and you shall be saved" or is it believe and jump through all of these hoops and you shall be saved. Beware of men who add works to the finished work of Christ.
no hoops at all...strictly we are saved by faith through grace

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
no hoops at all...strictly we are saved by faith through grace
Hi Dusty, I know this is gett'n pretty picky, but isn't it grace through faith? (saving faith being a "gift" from God as well, and that which we exercise to believe .. Ephesians 2:8-10)

BTW, I agree with the "no hoops" thing. "Hoop Jumping" .. e.g. Ephesians 2:10 is something that accompanies salvation. It's what we do as a 'result' of being saved, it's never the 'cause' of our justification/salvation.

~Deut

.........Titus 3
.........5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy.

glf1

Jun 10, 2018
To even have faith a person must first believe in the Lord's existence and that he moves upon our behalf. So that, Faith is that form of believing that is based upon the scriptures that the Holy Spirit has illuminated and upon a person's relationship with the Lord. Also, true faith will always produce works appropriate with repentance. Faith is one of the fruits of the Spirit and like all of the fruits of the Spirit is grown as the child of God becomes spiritually mature.

Heb 11:6, "But without faith it is impossible to please him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Heb 12:2 "Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith..." And in Rom 10:17, we learn; "Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God." And too in Jam 2:17, "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone." Gal 5:22, 23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance:..."

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
Hi Dusty, I know this is gett'n pretty picky, but isn't it grace through faith? (saving faith being a "gift" from God as well, and that which we exercise to believe .. Ephesians 2:8-10)

BTW, I agree with the "no hoops" thing. "Hoop Jumping" .. e.g. Ephesians 2:10 is something that accompanies salvation. It's what we do as a 'result' of being saved, it's never the 'cause' of our justification/salvation.

~Deut

.........Titus 3
.........5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy.
you're right...i misspoke