Fantasies

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

greatkraw

Fantasies (non sexual ones) are ok. They are just a part of our imagination, and part of what makes us the image and likeness of God: we can think of things that are not. We can imagine stuff that is beyond reality. It is an amazing gift that God has given us. In a way, we could not comprehend God without the ability to understand what we cannot see firsthand. None of us have been to Heaven, I'll wager, but I am sure we have an image, a fantasy if you will, of it in our minds. We can look forward to heaven without having been there. Fantasizing about Indiana Jones is ok too haha. I guess God also wants us to have a little fun too, so might as well skip off to dream world for a few minutes and pretend we're battling Nazis in our quest for the Holy Grail!
is it ok for a husband to fantasise about his wife?

S

suaso

Is he objectifying her? I think that even fantasizing about one's spouse could potentially lead to some form of lust. Sexual fantasies tend to run along the lines of "what can _____ do to/for me?" which generally involves some sort of selfish motive. Arousal towards one's spouse is a little different and more appropriate and healthy, especially when about to engage in the marital act. Obviously, we need that to motivate us to that point. But sitting around at work and trying the imagine the amazing things your spouse might do to you later...seems a little iffy to me. Not an expert on the matter, so I dunno.

C

charisenexcelcis

lol. After 33 years, my wife still perculates my chromosones. I generally don't spend my work hours with my mind on her. lol

M

MaggieMye

Consecrate your imagination back to God. He is the one that gave it to you in the first place. When you do this, you will be amazed at the visions He will give you...and they will be for you to pray for and through and sometimes even to act upon. God gave us imagination so we could SEE His spiritual kingdom!!

Maggie

S

socperkins

Thank you everybody for your response. I know it might seem like a silly question but I honestly wasn't sure. I just want to make sure I'm not inadvertently bothering God with my daydreaming.

Because you put it in this forum I think you meant is it Biblical to have fantasies?
Yes that is why I put it here. I'm wondering if there are any scriptures that talk about daydreams, fantasies and the like. I bet the Psalms talk about this somewhere. The only other scripture I can think of is 1 Corinthians 13:11 - "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things." I'm trying to put away my childish things and become more mature, but I'm not sure if daydreaming is part of that.

Firefly is about a group of mercenaries in the future. They fly around in a small ship doing odd jobs, eluding pirates, psycho cannibals and the totalitarian government who doesn't quite see eye to eye with them. It's full of interesting characters and lots of hi-jinks ensue.

G

greatkraw

Firefly is about a group of mercenaries in the future. They fly around in a small ship doing odd jobs, eluding pirates, psycho cannibals and the totalitarian government who doesn't quite see eye to eye with them. It's full of interesting characters and lots of hi-jinks ensue.
my brother has all the eps; we havnt watched it yet but we will

W

wwjd_kilden

Colossians 3:5 Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry

it seems like the bible in general is against sexual fantasies, but I can't find anything about man/ wife relationship connected directly to it

1 Corinthians 7:2 But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband

on the other hand, most verses mention sexual immorality, and as husband and wife can rightly do those things, perhaps it is not wrong after all?

A

Ash_JFF

I love to daydream. I have different novels in my head with different versions of each. Some of the "novels" i can daydream for years...always expanding, always making different versions. While it is not wrong to daydream (God did give us an imagination), daydreams can hurt you for a few reasons:

1) Sinful daydreams: sexually, morally...
2) Becoming obsessive about it: daydreaming all day, everyday
3) Going to daydreams for instant pleasure: sexually or otherwise

All 3 can lead us away from God:
The first reason is probably the most common as it is easy to have thoughts that are sinful.

The second reason is hard. While it is fun to daydream, if it is all you do you can't function in an earthly and/or spiritual way.

The third it dangerous too. Instead of trusting God with our sorrows and happiness we go to daydreams to give us instant pleasure. Lets face it, it is easier to find joy in the wild imagination of our minds then God. However, it is fleeting and unfulfilling in the end. We have to fight to have true peace in God because to have true peace in God we can't be living in willful sin. (Though sometimes when we have no strength left, God sometimes gives us a peace beyond understanding. But I'm talking generally speaking.)

I am guilty of all three:
My mind sometimes goes where it should not go and I think about the most horrendous of evils(in God's eyes, maybe not the worlds) because it sometimes gives me "happiness".
I daydream ALL the times where it interferes with my relationship with God and others.
When ever I am sad or angry or need to escape I go to my daydream world. I pray and then daydream. Some trust in God huh.

It is hard to find that thin line between daydreaming for fun and the devil using your daydreams as a way to damage your relationship with God. We have to be careful because satan uses our God given gifts (imagination, etc.) against us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.