Fasting...

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Would it be better off if you tell only the people you must (i mean only few) when you're fasting?

That your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.-Matt. 6:18
 
Would it be better off if you tell only the people you must (i mean only few) when you're fasting?

That your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.-Matt. 6:18
I understand what you are getting at, but taking verses 16-18 in context... In my opinion gears more towards not becoming a martyr for what you should be doing...

If someone uses this site, to proclaim basically how holy they are then those verses would apply... But if someone seriously needs prayer and comes out of humility... I think they are just too...
 
I dig what you mean. I understand that we need to develop accountability partner or group who will pray, encourage, and support us, most especially when we are going to be tempted to break the fast.
“Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.” Ecclesiastes 4: 9-10. This supports the idea of accountability, I think.
 
I dig what you mean. I understand that we need to develop accountability partner or group who will pray, encourage, and support us, most especially when we are going to be tempted to break the fast.
“Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.” Ecclesiastes 4: 9-10. This supports the idea of accountability, I think.
Yah I agree, and don't get me completely wrong. I agree with your Matt 6:18 that this could be used so that some could show that they are fasting more than others... or that they have better fasts or what not... And if anyone uses fasting for that purpose, I think God will have a few words for them... But The main objective was to build each other up and to keep each other in God's spirit(the strait and narrow) if you will...

Your warning is well received by me :)
 
I understand what you are getting at, but taking verses 16-18 in context... In my opinion gears more towards not becoming a martyr for what you should be doing...

If someone uses this site, to proclaim basically how holy they are then those verses would apply... But if someone seriously needs prayer and comes out of humility... I think they are just too...

Well, that would pretty much wipe out the membership at CC yes?

(tongue in cheek only......)
 
I'm not here to boast in any way but to share experience. I once fasted for 5 days. I noticed prayer and reading the word was so much easier, its like it was just flowing out. By day 3-4 I started to really feel how weak, feeble my flesh really was and began to realise my own mortality. It was a great experience, and id love to do it again one day. My wife and I have also fasted meat for 10 days once, somehow I think that was harder lol Some advice though, after a lengthy fast, plan your first meals properly like simple soups etc. I was stupid to finish it with a massive burger from Burger King which my flesh thought it really wanted but it was the worst feeling ever! Lol
 
Then there was the guy who fasted for 40 days, when he finished his first and last meal was a big fat juicy steak.
 
Don't want to burst the bubble.
Nothing wrong with fasting but it doesn't make him perform miracles. It may make you feel how privelidged you are. Don't do it to try and recieve miracles, don't try and manipulate God, he doesn't fall for it.
I think that there are happenings with fasting that are beyond the natural order of things, and even, at times, that there is a difference between how our life works out when we fast with prayer included.

The first time I did a fast, it was because my pastor told me to. I couldn't understand how my not eating any food related to my walk with the Lord, I had gone without food before for medical reasons and nothing happened. So I read through the instruction sheet and followed it. I found that when I told the Lord He was more important than physical food, I would deny myself food to concentrate on Him, my world did change. The change that happened could only be supernatural.

There was no sparling new car that appeared In my driveway, the change was more profound than that, and more lasting.
 
Then there was the guy who fasted for 40 days, when he finished his first and last meal was a big fat juicy steak.

Lol which guy did that? Ive been taught that its not good for your body to do such a thing but then again, there's a lot thelat we do that isn't beneficial for the body.
 
Lol which guy did that? Ive been taught that its not good for your body to do such a thing but then again, there's a lot thelat we do that isn't beneficial for the body.
When I was in my early teens there was news that a man from Cape Town South Africa collapsed and died after eating a Steak at a restaurant, he had been fasting for 40 days and thought he would celebrate........
 
When I was in my early teens there was news that a man from Cape Town South Africa collapsed and died after eating a Steak at a restaurant, he had been fasting for 40 days and thought he would celebrate........
Maybe God was rewarding him for his devout dedication to God... By taking him into heaven...

LOL Really supports the phrase... God works in strange ways...
 
When I was in my early teens there was news that a man from Cape Town South Africa collapsed and died after eating a Steak at a restaurant, he had been fasting for 40 days and thought he would celebrate........

uh, just in case I'm ever in Cape Town, uh, do you remember the name of the restaurant?

(just saying)