Father, Father, Why have you forsaken me?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

Harley_Angel

When Jesus was on the cross he cried out, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" One website said that originally it was, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani"

This has always been troubling to me. I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on it. It seems that right before Jesus died he felt like he had been abandoned. To be quite honest, it sometimes...and this is really, really hard for me to say, it makes me wonder if when Jesus died, God wasn't there. Part of me wants to quantify this as meaning Jesus was just a regular guy, but He came back, and I know in my very heart, and because that was so difficult for me to type, that Jesus was not a normal guy and that God obviously exists becuse Jesus returned from the dead.

Still...why did he feel forsaken?

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
When Jesus was on the cross he cried out, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" One website said that originally it was, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani"

This has always been troubling to me. I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on it. It seems that right before Jesus died he felt like he had been abandoned. To be quite honest, it sometimes...and this is really, really hard for me to say, it makes me wonder if when Jesus died, God wasn't there. Part of me wants to quantify this as meaning Jesus was just a regular guy, but He came back, and I know in my very heart, and because that was so difficult for me to type, that Jesus was not a normal guy and that God obviously exists becuse Jesus returned from the dead.

God poured the sins of mankind upon Jesus and was punishing Him for them all. In order for the sin to be placed upon Him the Holy Spirit would have to have been removed. They are at opposition to each-other. They cannot exist simultaneously.

Quest

H

Harley_Angel

:( That makes me want to cry. It fills my heart with such grief that He had to bear the weight of all of our sins just so we could be free...maybe that's why those verses laid so heavy on my mind, because they spoke so much to my heart before I even knew what they meant.

G

glenwood74

I think question time is correct. When Jesus became the bearer of our sins, the Father in heaven had to turn away from His Son, and Jesus felt the pain of that separation, and thusly cried out what He did.

M

Mulehide

:( That makes me want to cry. It fills my heart with such grief that He had to bear the weight of all of our sins just so we could be free...maybe that's why those verses laid so heavy on my mind, because they spoke so much to my heart before I even knew what they meant.
Nothing shows the awesomeness of Jesus' love for us more than this. To think, He left heaven knowing that would happen but willing went through with it. WOW

M

miktre

Love the topic of this post Harley. I know that Christ was never forsaken or felt forsaken and I think you can see that in Psalms 22. He quoted Psalm 22 for our sake that we are reminded that the victory is not in the flesh but in the everlasting. We should learn from this because conquering the flesh is no easy task and Christ is the only one that did it perfectly. We need to know this, that the Lord hears our cries and we to shall experience much affliction in the flesh and that victory was done for us on the cross.
Forever and ever Amen.

C

charisenexcelcis

I think that He suffered for the first time that which we suffer in our sins and sometimes feel even after our salvation--how sin separates us from God. The Bible says, prophetically, that God would not forsake His anointed one (Christ) to corruption, but on the cross, for the first time in eternity, the fellowship of the godhead was disrupted. I do not think that we can understand what He felt.

H

Harley_Angel

I just can't imagine being so selfless, that as a blameless person, one who does not deserve ANY punishment, volunteering to take ALL the punishment for EVERYONE and EVERYTHING they ever did, do, or will do wrong. Man, I couldn't even fess up to spilling hot pink liquid potpurri on my mom's new white carpet...I let my little brother take the blame. I couldn't imagine taking his punishments for him willingly...let alone every single punishment he ever got. We truly do have an amazing Father.

L

lighthousejohn

At the moment of Jesus death, He had taken all of the sin of the world upon Him. He who had no sin;, became SIN. God cannot look upon sin and at this moment in time Jesus was the most sinful person in the world. So I believe God did turn His back on Jesus. I prefer to think He was in as much agony as He was disgust.

May 21, 2009
God had to turn his face from Jesus for just a bit of time. Jesus had feelings because he was in that human body, like we do. Then for a minute how you would feel if you thought God left you.
It had to be done for us but Jesus didn't want to be without his Father for one second.

Oct 20, 2009
Yeah I saw the answer already. I think it's one of the most beautiful scenes and at the same time the most sad scenes in the new testament. God cannot be one with sin, therefore when sin was poured out of Jesus, Jesus was seperated for the Father....it had to happen. Hell is being withouth God. Because in God is life and withouth God there only can be hell. It needed to happen, it was the ultimate sacrifice! Jesus bore all our sins, so we could be free.
<3

L

lighthousejohn

I offer the following vrses to show that Jesus' death was not the end ofHis ministry.
Ephesians 4:8-10 (NIV)
8 This is why it says: &#8220;When he ascended on high, he led captives in his train and gave gifts to men.&#8221; 9 (What does &#8220;he ascended&#8221; mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regions? 10 He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in
1 Peter 3:18&#8211;20 (NIV)
18 For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 19 through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison 20 who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently
Jesus minstered to the spirits in prison (Hades). Then He took those same prisoners and ascended to heaven with the keys to Hades in His hands.

Revelation 1:18
I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

His was the greatest sacrifice and if their was only one sinner in the world (You or me), He would have done the same thing!

pickles

Apr 20, 2009

I had wondered about this myself.
Then I came to see that Jesus had to take for but a moment the separation we would have had if he had not given his life for us.
He had to take our separation and overcome it for us.
I see his overcoming not just the physical death but overcoming the death of the soul for us.
This is the impression I recieved from some scripture.
If anyone can conferm I would be greatful.
God bless, pickles

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I had wondered about this myself.
Then I came to see that Jesus had to take for but a moment the separation we would have had if he had not given his life for us.
He had to take our separation and overcome it for us.
I see his overcoming not just the physical death but overcoming the death of the soul for us.
This is the impression I recieved from some scripture.
If anyone can conferm I would be greatful.
God bless, pickles
I was able to read others posts and see it is confermed.
God bless, pickles

G

GraceBeUntoYou

You know why Christ "felt" forsaken? Because He was!

"If a man guilty of a capital offense is put to death and his body is hung on a tree, you must not leave his body on the tree overnight. Be sure to bury him that same day, because anyone who is hung on a tree is under God's curse. You must not desecrate the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance." -- Deuteronomy 21:22-23

The Apostle Paul referred to Deuteronomy 21:22-23 when he said in Galatians 3:10-14, "
All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: 'Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.' Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, 'The righteous will live by faith.' The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, 'The man who does these things will live by them.' Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: 'Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.' He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit."

You are no longer of your own, you have been bought with the blood of Christ. Behold, and l
ook at just what Christ has done!

Last edited:
G

GraceBeUntoYou

Thought I'd also share with you, one of my favorite parts in scripture, found in Luke 24:13-32:

And behold, two of them were going that very day to a village named Emmaus, which was about seven miles from Jerusalem. And they were talking with each other about all these things which had taken place. While they were talking and discussing, Jesus Himself approached and began traveling with them. But their eyes were prevented from recognizing Him. And He said to them, "What are these words that you are exchanging with one another as you are walking?" And they stood still, looking sad. One of them, named Cleopas, answered and said to Him, "Are You the only one visiting Jerusalem and unaware of the things which have happened here in these days?" And He said to them, "What things?" And they said to Him, "The things about Jesus the Nazarene, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word in the sight of God and all the people, and how the chief priests and our rulers delivered Him to the sentence of death, and crucified Him." But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel. Indeed, besides all this, it is the third day since these things happened. "But also some women among us amazed us. When they were at the tomb early in the morning, and did not find His body, they came, saying that they had also seen a vision of angels who said that He was alive. "Some of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just exactly as the women also had said; but Him they did not see." And He said to them, "O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken!" Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?" Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures. And they approached the village where they were going, and He acted as though He were going farther. But they urged Him, saying, "Stay with us, for it is getting toward evening, and the day is now nearly over." So He went in to stay with them. When He had reclined at the table with them, He took the bread and blessed it, and breaking it, He began giving it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they recognized Him; and He vanished from their sight. They said to one another, "Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?"

You can also read on in Luke 24:36-49, when Christ appeared before the disciples, whom thought they had seen a spirit, but Christ replied, "'...Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.' And when He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet." (Luke 24:38-40)

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009

At the cross, just before He gave up His spirit, His life, He identified with us so completely that He even took our separation from God upon Himself, so that when He was raised from the dead to new life, being restored to God, that we too would be restored to God in Him. For we were formerly enemies of God, strangers and sinners and dead to God, having no grace, no access to Him, no hope. This He also became for us, to remove everything in heaven and in earth, that could separate us from the Father.

There is not one thing in heaven or on the earth which is more precious than this act of love for us. The angels still do not understand it. The creation is stunned by it. When I saw the reality of my old life in His life on the cross, I cried for a month, and still it moves me to tears.

The word of the cross is to those who are perishing, foolishness, but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God.

C

carpetmanswife

some great responses here , Hebrews 2:18 says For in that He Himself suffered being tempted, He is able to succour* help* them that are tempted. This was my first thought when i read your queston Jesus Himself had to feel forsaken by God to experience what us humans do many times in our lives so He can help us. He felt abandoned, I have caught myself thinkin and or sayin "God where are you?" probably most of us have...anyway that was my thought

Dec 19, 2009

I think Jesus WAS God (in flesh). Therefore, it seems to me that when he said, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me,” he might have been speaking for our benefit.

Perhaps a better explanation would be that Jesus sometimes referred to himself as the “Son of Man,” and certainly mankind forsook him that day.