Favorite Quotes and Catchy Sayings

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MadHermit

Junior Member
May 8, 2018
388
145
43
(1) "The more a man looks at a thing the less he can see it; and the more a man learns a thing the less he knows it" (G. K. Chesterton in his essay "Twelve Men"). Chesterton's quote is directly against the movement in early 20th century Britain to replace juries of ordinary people with lawyers. He argues that lawyers' intuitions are too often warped by the minutiae of countless laws and legal precedents to discern justice. The same might be applied to theologians and pastors who live too much in their heads to display authentic miracle-working faith or to discern God's will in a variety of situations.

(2) "Theological understanding is the booby prize because it gives you just enough spirituality to inoculate you against the real thing (Billy Graham)."
""The real thing" is authentic spiritual experience, especially a living vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ.

(3) "I like my religion the way I like my tea--hot! Because I'd rather be a fool on fire than a scholar on ice....because it's easier to cool a hot coal than to warm up a corpse! Honestly, brethren, when I drive by these liberal churches, I take my hat off out of respect for the dead." (uttered by an evangelist I heard as a boy). His words are so memorable that I have never forgotten them, despite a single oral hearing.
 
"I have achieved great things. But God has given me grace to be humble, because I don't think I'm nearly as great as I really am."
"Life by the inch is a cinch; life by the mile is a trial."
"It's better to have her wonder why you didn't say it than to have her wonder why you did."
"He who indulges, bulges."
"Blessed are the meek; for they shall inherit the DEARTH."
 
  • Like
Reactions: TabinRivCA
Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Moses_Young
The unlived life is not worth reflecting on. (more faith)
 
I just saw this saying printed on a woman's t-shirt, and I thought that there was some wisdom in it:

Don't trip over what's behind you.
 
If one procrastinates (putting off doing something) does one who concrastinates do stuff right away?
 
If one procrastinates (putting off doing something) does one who concrastinates do stuff right away?
Nah, it's a matter of being real good at it. If you are good at putting stuff off, you're a pro.

I know some real PROcrastinators. Me, I'm a rank amateur, but I'm honing my skills. I'll break into semi-procrastinating soon.
 
Nah, it's a matter of being real good at it. If you are good at putting stuff off, you're a pro.

I know some real PROcrastinators. Me, I'm a rank amateur, but I'm honing my skills. I'll break into semi-procrastinating soon.
If I were you, I'd put off becoming a better procrastinator :giggle:
 
"Rule #7: If it works, go with it."

One of my favorite rules, and one I use all the time.
 
I got a pithy response to your comment Lynx.....maybe I'll post it tomorrow, dunno
 
This past weekend, we had a Super Moon, and it was a full moon on Saturday and Sunday. Huge moon! Seriously. It is easy to see how much larger it looks during this time. Where I was, it was so bright that there were no stars visible............except for one.

The Dog Star. You can "search" Dog Star to learn about it, and it is an interesting read. The Dog Star is the brightest star in the Eastern Sky. Mayhaps, the entire sky, except for the Sun of course. :) Even the Super Moon could not overshadow the brightness of the Dog Star.

I like to think about the Dog Star being the God Star. I know, all of the stars are His, but I like to think of the Dog Star as special. His Star. His portal to view the earth and all that encompases from His seat on the Throne. No, it is not Biblical, just waxing whimsically.

As Christians, we are all waiting for the Eastern Sky to SPLIT! For that will be the first view of the return of Jesus. :) I can just imagine God, sitting on His Throne, watching the world, and waiting for the time He will turn to Jesus and tell Him "go get my people."

Anyway, it has been a wonderful time these past few nights watching the Super Moon and Dog Star compeat for attention in the Eastern Sky.

(I'll give you a link to the Dog Star)

What is so Special About Sirius, the Dog Star? | Ancient …
 
  • Like
Reactions: CharliRenee
So tell me more about How eating Ice Cream on the Couch is Waiting for God to Bring you the one.